• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

Didn't he only sign a new contract with United in January? If so, why jump ship now?

Didn't he only sign a new contract with United in January? If so, why jump ship now?

Probably a move to increase sales leverage by United. And anyway a lot can change in six months' time.

If he's the one we're waiting on that would make some sense. Jez probably would have to negotiate the shit out of that kind of deal.

We've never had a manager poached from us and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Given that most of the lower placed teams have changed manager recently it is hard to see anyone coming calling for Jackett. Sean Dyche will be well ahead of him anyway. In the Pl Newcastle, West Ham, West Brom, Villa, Norwich and Sunderland won’t come calling and Eddie Howe is safe at Bournemouth. The only destination I can see is Watford but he’d need to become Jacketti first! in our division maybe QPR but if they need a new manager it will be due to a poor start and they’ll only think about KJ if we get a flier so why would he leave/

As you suggest, it won’y happen!

Probably a move to increase sales leverage by United. And anyway a lot can change in six months' time.

If he's the one we're waiting on that would make some sense. Jez probably would have to negotiate the shit out of that kind of deal.

I just can't see him leaving permanently that soon after signing the deal, he had the 6 months at Derby for some regular football now he's got pre-season to measure himself against the big boys and see where he stands. Wouldn't have thought he'd just jack it in if he doesn't break straight into the team, perhaps a half or full season loan first before having one last crack at the big prize.

Would love jesse. This narrow formation bollocks has got to end.

Anybody thinking jackett is at risk of being poached is living in cloud cuckoo land. Never on his career has he achieved anything that makes him even a remotely attractive proposition for a top flight chairman.

John de Wolf has said on twitter we're in for Groningen centre half Eric Fernando Botteghin. Fulham were linked with him at the start of the month.

Lingard and a few others featured quite a lot last season and then moved, I find it more with the non UK managers, but pre-season seems to be more about ideas and getting a look at people who are 'maybe's' in your thinking, then getting set for the season as most of them know what they are going to do.

I just can't see him leaving permanently that soon after signing the deal, he had the 6 months at Derby for some regular football now he's got pre-season to measure himself against the big boys and see where he stands. Wouldn't have thought he'd just jack it in if he doesn't break straight into the team, perhaps a half or full season loan first before having one last crack at the big prize.

Lingard played almost every game last preseason for United, too, and that didn't turn out to mean much.

It isn't bollocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It isn't narrow either.

We played 4-diamond-2 for 45 minutes vs one of the French teams with our second string. The rest of the time it's been 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1.

John de Wolf has said on twitter we're in for Groningen centre half Eric Fernando Botteghin. Fulham were linked with him at the start of the month.

He's quite good. Not sure we need a CB though unless we're sending EEL/Hause out on loan.

Would be an odd one. The guy is a fucking unit and a half, though.

It isn't narrow either.

We played 4-diamond-2 for 45 minutes vs one of the French teams with our second string. The rest of the time it's been 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1.

Sorry mate disagree. It was on Tuesday very narrow at times. When it went wide it tended to be the strikers providing the width.
I had no issue with it, I saw a definite shift from last years formation.

Surely the seminal 4-4-2 formation doesn't have wingers? England won the World Cup using a 4-4-2 formation. I wouldn't call either of Martin Peters or Alan Ball a winger.

After giving up 2-3-5, Wolves played 4-2-4. Wagstaff and Wharton were the wingers in my early days. In the heady days that Frank remembers so well, it was a cross between 4-2-4 and a lopsided 4-3-3 with Waggy a definite winger and Kenny Hibbitt more of a right-sided midfielder.

I know players are fitter and (most of them) are more disciplined these days but I would never consider Sako a midfielder, he is an out and out forward who tracks back but can't really tackle, isn't great at marking and isn't going to win many headers. The same is true of Rajiv van LaParra.

Direct wing play seems to have been the way Wolves have played since the Nineteen Fifties (and possibly before). Playing two wingers, the likes of Sako and Van La Parra is more like playing 4-2-4 than 4-42 even if they show the formation as 4-4-2 on the TV.

That's why I believe it is incredibly difficult for the two central midfielders, they are always going to be outnumbered in the middle of the park.

Lingard played almost every game last preseason for United, too, and that didn't turn out to mean much.
And it might not mean anything this summer either. I still don't expect him to have a permanent move away from United in this window so soon after signing a new deal.

I would imagine Lingard will go to a lower league PL side this time round rather than a Championship club.

And it might not mean anything this summer either. I still don't expect him to have a permanent move away from United in this window so soon after signing a new deal.

I dunno, surely he must see that under LvG United are becoming another Chelsea, always buying in talent rather than growing it? That's how I'd look at it.

They're buying in talent to catch up! No more or less.

Lingard needs to ask whether he's good enough for them. That's it.

Surely the seminal 4-4-2 formation doesn't have wingers? England won the World Cup using a 4-4-2 formation. I wouldn't call either of Martin Peters or Alan Ball a winger.

After giving up 2-3-5, Wolves played 4-2-4. Wagstaff and Wharton were the wingers in my early days. In the heady days that Frank remembers so well, it was a cross between 4-2-4 and a lopsided 4-3-3 with Waggy a definite winger and Kenny Hibbitt more of a right-sided midfielder.

I know players are fitter and (most of them) are more disciplined these days but I would never consider Sako a midfielder, he is an out and out forward who tracks back but can't really tackle, isn't great at marking and isn't going to win many headers. The same is true of Rajiv van LaParra.

Direct wing play seems to have been the way Wolves have played since the Nineteen Fifties (and possibly before). Playing two wingers, the likes of Sako and Van La Parra is more like playing 4-2-4 than 4-42 even if they show the formation as 4-4-2 on the TV.

That's why I believe it is incredibly difficult for the two central midfielders, they are always going to be outnumbered in the middle of the park.
The classic Turner team didn't have two wingers in its 442 either, Robbie D was a winger, but Holmes and Vaughan were wide midfielders

Back