• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

John de Wolf has said on twitter we're in for Groningen centre half Eric Fernando Botteghin. Fulham were linked with him at the start of the month.

According to Twitter it seems that Groningen have rejected bids from championship clubs and don't want to sell Botteghin, but he's told them he wants to go to Feyenoord.
"Alles is mooi aan Feyenoord." Translates as 'Everything is fine/beautiful at Feyenoord.'

Last edited:
Winger - line hugging player who takes people on and gets crosses in. Plays with chalk on his boots and is usually up against the opposition full back permanently. Matt Jarivs for example.

Wide midfielder - a deeper player than a winger who can but doesn't really take players on and is more of a ball player linking over lapping fullbacks and central plays. Better defensively than a winger. Santi Cazorla, David Beckham for example.

Wide forward - plays inside and not on the touch line and will both go outside and take the full back on but also cut inside and attack centrally, often creative but really good at attacking on angles. Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Sako.

Alan, one or the other played, Holmes mainly in the year we won the 4th, Vaughan the 3rd

This is all well and good discussing the difference between wingers and wide midfielders, but at the moment we are playing with 3 centre midfielders.

This is all well and good discussing the difference between wingers and wide midfielders, but at the moment we are playing with 3 centre midfielders.

I agree and without buying any one of the three above the fans are going to mightily pissed off.

We're not too narrow though, apparently :spaz:

I dunno, surely he must see that under LvG United are becoming another Chelsea, always buying in talent rather than growing it? That's how I'd look at it.

A club the size of United are always going to be buying in big talent in reasonable amounts, that's just what they do, they were already throwing plenty of money round under LvG last summer too so nothing has changed in that respect since Lingaard signed his new contract in January, if he was that put off by the strategy then why sign the new deal in the first place?

He'll end up somewhere on loan for 6-12 months this season in my opinion.

It all depends what happens when the real stuff starts, win games and the formation won't even be considered, lose games and it's meltdown.

I'm not that bothered by which formation we play, what bothers me is having the personnel to play it, whether it is a wide or narrow 442 I don't feel that we do at the moment and I think we need more than a left midfielder to make the narrow version work. I don't see the movement needed from the existing players to move the opposition around and prevent it from just being a congested midfield

That is my worry, if we are going to play the 442 we play on Tuesday, I think Wallace fits in nicely on the right hand side. You can see why Rowe has played on the left but we need a better version of him.

I think it is pretty telling we are discussing tactics in here instead of players or even rumours. That CB De Wolf mentioned is the first I have seen of us linked with anyone in what feels like weeks!

From watching the Villa match it seemed we had width on the right from Henry with Iorfa overlapping. We had nothing on the left. Occasionally Dicko would venture out there but, aside from mugging Hutton off, he isn't very effective out wide and is far more comfortable playing centrally. Edwards was nowhere to be seen leaving Golbourne too isolated to provide any width himself.

Whatever you want to call it, it seemed horribly imbalanced and would be very easy to suss out during the season proper.

It all depends what happens when the real stuff starts, win games and the formation won't even be considered, lose games and it's meltdown.

The problem is we won't win that many games playing 3 CMs and an average wide player.

There isn't going to be much patience from the crowd (even less than usual) if we don't have a good start to the season.

I'm sure that I heard somewhere that you can't win anything playing Mids?

We won two and drew two matches in January with the team that is currently available to us apart from Batth who is injured. We have added Coady and Wallace since then to beef up the midfield. Yes I would like another left winger and a bench warming forward but there is no need to panic.

Back