• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

We were awesome that year. The highlight the 0-0 with QPR.

Team: Hennessey, Foley, Darren Ward, Collins, Gray, Gibson, Olofinjana, Henry, Stephen Ward, Elliott, Bothroyd

To be fair, the Charlton game was that year. SEB's goal and Henry's winner. Amazing.

Could be he has to start utilising some the academy players coming through. Very underwhelming stuff at moment, ain't got the new season buzz yet and I'm kinda wishing the season was a few more weeks away.

We were awesome that year. The highlight the 0-0 with QPR.

Team: Hennessey, Foley, Darren Ward, Collins, Gray, Gibson, Olofinjana, Henry, Stephen Ward, Elliott, Bothroyd

To be fair, the Charlton game was that year. SEB's goal and Henry's winner. Amazing.

So was the 0-0 at Blackpool on a miserable Tuesday night, it was a dismal season simply down to the god awful football we played.

Pulis made some interesting comments on it in the Depress and Blah, talk about making him feel wanted...

Pulis, meanwhile, appeared to hint any deal for former Wolves winger Bakary Sako rests on whether Albion’s success in snaring other targets elsewhere.

The Baggies have held positive talks with the 26-year-old, but are also keen on Queens Park Rangers' Matt Phillips and Michail Antonio.

Pulis said: “He is maybe one of six or seven players we have enquired about and are talking to. Some drop for you and some don’t.

“I think the most important thing is everyone stays nice and patient. It’s difficult but it is the feeding season.

"You have to careful about signing players who don’t improve what you've got. We don’t want to get in that situation.”

It would appear that PL managers don't value Sako as highly as he values himself at least financially

He's no Pulis type player, Deutsch referred to to it the other day, whereas at Wolves his inconsistencies were tolerated at Albion the first time he has 'one of those games' we were used to he'll find himself warming the bench.

It would appear that PL managers don't value Sako as highly as he values himself at least financially

I think it's just classic bargaining, he was on £20,000 at Wolves, ask for £60,000 end up with £40,000, not a bad bit of business.

Ismail has gone on loan to Burton until January.

He played against Leicester at Burton last night as well.

I don't see Ismail making the grade here now - if he's unable to get near the squad when we're crying out for width, he never will. He should be old enough now to be making a mark in the Championship. Shame, but clearly not rated highly enough by KJ and co to make the 1st team.

He just isn't very good I'm afraid.

Never quite sure why we give players a year's extension to their deal and then loan them out again. It didn't work with Cassidy and I'm almost certain it won't work with McAlinden or Ismail. Either use them or get rid at that age, not as if we're going to get a fee of any magnitude for them.

I've been hoping for something to happen that will fill the gaps in the team, and as each day goes by I get more and more concerned. It's almost like the shortcomings of our new home shirt reflect what's happening with the Wolves squad. Yes, as surely as night follows day, we have a new home shirt and a new season. Unfortunately, in both cases we need something under it for us to be happy!

We've drawn 2-2 with Villa in a friendly, but considering our defence is one of our "bankers" in terms of strength in depth, how concerned should we be with the goals conceded, even if it was against Premiership opposition? I can't get a handle on that from what I've heard about the game, and the brief highlights. Looks like we'll stick with the Keepers we have, and no need for any new back four recruits?

Ismail and Jacobs, wide players, out of the picture. Jordan Graham, the number 24, apparently a possibility to be a Sako replacement, but not showing much in pre-season, as far as I can tell from a distance.

And the McDonald saga trundles on. I wonder if there were promises made to him that have been broken? Could a Coady-Price combination negate the need for McDonald to stay? Will Saville finally show why he was worth a Million (and the number 8 shirt)?

Coming from Peterborough, I've seen Rowe in action for them, and have to admit disappointment in his injury-strewn first season for Wolves. He really is much, much better than he's shown so far, perhaps something KJ is counting on? He CAN operate anywhere down the left really well, but not in the same barnstorming attacking way that Sako did.

A scarily thin front line, but always the possibility of 4-2-3-1 if either Dicko or Afobe is sidelined - with Edwards having a role in that sort of formation. That said, lose both our strikers and we're left with improvising via VLP - not exactly a goal machine when played there last season.

Have to say that if, on top of all this, we sell Henry, without new recruits in the right positions, I will have to seriously question the sanity of the management hierarchy at Wolves. Talk of new narrow formations or not, if you've no extra bullets in your clip, it doesn't matter how you play, you'll be found wanting.

And with a bit of luck, now the inaction has forced me to sling in my two-penneth worth, we'll suddenly have three signings by the weekend!

Good post Alex. It raises a lot of very valid points about the squad. We have gaps that need filling for me. Frustrating, as we are close to being a right up there challenging outfit.

As someone who has backed Morgan and always thought he'd been decent, although things have gone badly at times. I am at point where I'm starting to wonder what he is actually trying to achieve and what his long term goal really is.

Coming into this window, I had high expectations with all the higher earners off the books and U.S. still having parachute money, but at the moment it seems that things are getting worse. Still no replacement for Sako, failing to land our main targets, the Stearman and McDonald contract sagas and once again looking like we are short of a striker. Kenny seems to be having to play a formation that doesn't work, due to us not having the necessary players.

I think I'm probably more disillusioned as a Wolves than I have been for a long time.

P.S. No matter how many times I try, I can't stop my autocorrect changing U.S. to U.S.

Back