• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

If it comes out that our offers to him have not been as such, then I agree with you.

As it is I would be shocked of we haven't offered him such a contract. I think he wants Prem money, simple as, and he's just not worth it.

I maintain that being unable to sit down and negotiate an improved contract with one of our best players is a major failing on the part of Moxey/Thelwell & co.

A player of McDonald's quality could be the difference between promotion or another season at this level, I have no idea what we're playing at here. He should easily be one of the best paid players at the club. Easily.

Well the rumours are that he's being offered a wage that would put him in that bracket. Nouha had no issue of signing and he was being linked with Everton.

He's not irreplaceable. He's a midfielder that can't tackle or shoot. Lovely ball player and somebody I'd like to keep, but I won't be overly bothered if we bin him off after the way he's acted.

I'm not sure Thelwell's involved in current recruitment but I would bet that Webber and the other first team scout leaving are to do with a difference of opinion between them and KJ. I've seen this first hand elsewhere and it doesn't end well. That's what I think has happened but I may be doing complex maths with 2+2.

That's a bit of an assumption there Johnny.

Webber left on promotion to Huddersfield as their Head of Football Operations, which is the equivalent job I suppose to what Thelwell does here. He took Ross Wilson's job who left Hudds. for Prem. side Southampton.
Webber's bought Dicko, Hause and Afobe to us, among others, and when he left, at least one of his team went with him.

Thelwell's job title here is Head of Football Development and Recruitment but all his experience here and previously at Derby has been at Youth level and Academy level and he has a Uefa Pro licence which is the highest coaching qualification currently available which means he can teach coaches, which he often does.

I am not aware who we have as First Team recruitment at the moment, because as I have said before, Coady was previously scouted for us by Webber but Wolves let him go to Hudds..

I maintain that being unable to sit down and negotiate an improved contract with one of our best players is a major failing on the part of Moxey/Thelwell & co.

A player of McDonald's quality could be the difference between promotion or another season at this level, I have no idea what we're playing at here. He should easily be one of the best paid players at the club. Easily.

How do you know that Moxey/Thelwell didn't offer to make him one? You nor I have a clue what kind of offer has been put on the table, but going public about in order to force the issue does no-one any favours and if Wolves refuse to be held to ransom and we lose KMac then so be it.

The club cannot be seen to buckle under the demands of players and agents who advise them to go public in order to force better contracts, it's an ugly symptom of todays game and it happens too frequently nowadays.

Kev has a year left on his contract, he is still our player and has an obligation to the club to perform to the best of his duties while we are paying him. Going public about how you deserve more than a basic increase, how unsettling it is not knowing where you are going to be (when he already knows hes gonna be at Wolves for at least another 12 months FFS), it's extremely unprofessional, you wouldn't get away with it in any other industry and it drives me fooking nuts tbh.

That's a bit of an assumption there Johnny.

Webber left on promotion to Huddersfield as their Head of Football Operations, which is the equivalent job I suppose to what Thelwell does here. He took Ross Wilson's job who left Hudds. for Prem. side Southampton.
Webber's bought Dicko, Hause and Afobe to us, among others, and when he left, at least one of his team went with him.

Thelwell's job title here is Head of Football Development and Recruitment but all his experience here and previously at Derby has been at Youth level and Academy level and he has a Uefa Pro licence which is the highest coaching qualification currently available which means he can teach coaches, which he often does.

I am not aware who we have as First Team recruitment at the moment, because as I have said before, Coady was previously scouted for us by Webber but Wolves let him go to Hudds..

I've been through this already. It's based on my experience, you also don't know who scouted and who got put forward from other sources or KJ's previous knowledge. We know KJ's link to Afobe was not Webber's, we also know Dicko was here before Webber turned up. Hause would've been scouted by the now departed Head of Academy (to Burnley not H'field) and as far as I know only VlP and Wallace would not have been known or linked to Jackett directly. Coady may have been on KJ's radar but not Webber's. His recruitment came after Webber had departed.

So, yes, it is me making assumptions but they are not a stretch of the imaginations. Finally, I know first hand Thelwell was involved in first team recruitment for Derby (not so sure for Preston). You should not assume what you read on wiki is the job you perceive it to be, especially if you have no experience.

Well the rumours are that he's being offered a wage that would put him in that bracket. Nouha had no issue of signing and he was being linked with Everton.

He's not irreplaceable. He's a midfielder that can't tackle or shoot. Lovely ball player and somebody I'd like to keep, but I won't be overly bothered if we bin him off after the way he's acted.

Can't tackle is a bit harsh. He's a fairly physical presence, it's not the best part of his game but he does get tackles in. Behind Iorfa he actually completed the most tackles per game of any of our players too. Similarly high up for interceptions too.

He had a terrible spell in the run where we lost five on the run but apart from that he was absolutely key to us playing well. Him and Dicko most important, IMO.

If we are offering to make him a top earner and he is rejecting, then he's acting the cunt but I'd just let his contract run out. He's still one of the best in the league and we need him.

I'd love to know what we are actually offering him. If we are offering him a wage that would make him one of the highest paid players then i think we should sell as he does come across like a player who will not play for the cause when not happy. As much as i think he's needed when at his best he is not bigger than Wolves and definitely is replaceable, whether we are capable of replacing him i don't know.

Chuck Kev and let Lee get nice and bloody, I say. This drama isn't good for anything.

Although Lee strikes me as a bit of a primadonna himself, so...

Wigan fans on Twitter saying that Jacobs has signed for them

If so we won't ever know if he could of done a job for us at this level in the #10 role but he will do well at League One level so good luck to the lad

It a a real shame (I think anyway) that at the start of last season he wasn't allowed to continue where he had left off the season before in the role behind the forward. Strange that he had played there as first choice all pre-season and suddenly he was out for the first league game! It seemed more like attitude than anything else mind

Must have someone lined up to replace him.

I've been through this already. It's based on my experience, you also don't know who scouted and who got put forward from other sources or KJ's previous knowledge. We know KJ's link to Afobe was not Webber's, we also know Dicko was here before Webber turned up. Hause would've been scouted by the now departed Head of Academy (to Burnley not H'field) and as far as I know only VlP and Wallace would not have been known or linked to Jackett directly. Coady may have been on KJ's radar but not Webber's. His recruitment came after Webber had departed.

So, yes, it is me making assumptions but they are not a stretch of the imaginations. Finally, I know first hand Thelwell was involved in first team recruitment for Derby (not so sure for Preston). You should not assume what you read on wiki is the job you perceive it to be, especially if you have no experience.

I said 'Webber's bought Dicko, Hause and Afobe to us, among others, and when he left, at least one of his team went with him.'
I meant to say 'Webber's team bought Dicko, Hause and Afobe to us, among others, and when he left, at least one of his team went with him.
I don't read Wiki for things like this and you don't need experience of something to have an opinion. However, I bow to your better experience on the matter, even if I don't appreciate your supercilious and condescending attitude.

I think you may have missed my first point Dinowolf, in that, Divko arrived a fortnight after Webber was appointed so it is a real stretch to say his team bought him in, they'd have not had time to scout him. Hause I'll give you but Afobe was known to KJ before he was at Wolves (KJ not Afobe). My point being that we don't know if Webber had any influence at all on player recruitment or whether KJ was doing his own thing and rejecting all of Webber (and his team) recommendations. This could well have been the reason he left (my massive assumption but not unseen before).

I did not mean to offend but can be a little pointed.

I think you may have missed my first point Dinowolf, in that, Divko arrived a fortnight after Webber was appointed so it is a real stretch to say his team bought him in, they'd have not had time to scout him. Hause I'll give you but Afobe was known to KJ before he was at Wolves (KJ not Afobe). My point being that we don't know if Webber had any influence at all on player recruitment or whether KJ was doing his own thing and rejecting all of Webber (and his team) recommendations. This could well have been the reason he left (my massive assumption but not unseen before).

I did not mean to offend but can be a little pointed.

Fair enough Johnny.

Like a lot of other people on here, I think, we are a little disappointed on the recruitment front, and as I've said before the circumstances surrounding the Coady transfer seems strange, although it may be just me seeing things that aren't there, and if he is good for the team then I shall be pleased anyway.

Webber may well have fallen out with someone or not proved fit for purpose for us but we don't seem to have replaced him nor any of the others that left, and it puzzles me as to who is actually doing the scouting/recruitment at the moment.

Back