• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2015/2016 Summer Improvement Thread

I think there's been a real disconnect between management and recruitment here and it's not looking particularly good as I really think the system is a mess. The whole Zyro thing was a symptom of this.

Thelwell identified and Jackett said no, or is there more to it than that?

Are there now a group of clubs within the Championship who by chasing the Premier league dream have left themselves wide open to financial ruin should they fail to gain promotion. With Wolves trying to run things properly.

Not really.
Boro, Derby, QPR are all using their owners money. Fulham have parachute payments and have £11m received for Roberts

Are there now a group of clubs within the Championship who by chasing the Premier league dream have left themselves wide open to financial ruin should they fail to gain promotion. With Wolves trying to run things properly.

There are but (at the moment) WOlves don't seem to be trying to achieve PL football. By failing to sign players who would replace Sako, give us a 3rd centre forward etc, the money is slightly irrelevant as long as we can see the balance in the squad being created.

As an example - last season we knew the fans knew we needed another stirker that was similar to Dicko, instead we signed Saville and tried to use players such as Clarke, Graham, Sagbo - differring styles and this caused our November capitulation. This year we knew we needed a left winger and a striker, and we've signed 1 central midfielder and 1 central attacking midfielder.

I applaud Wolves for doing it "properly" but I think our recruitment is well off target at the moment - though I hope to be proved wrong everyday!

QPR got around £9m from the Sterling deal and Austin will go for around £15m.

I think pretty much everyone wanted a #10 and a centre midfielder. I certainly did.

I will be disappointed if we don't come away with a new LW and FW though.

Thelwell identified and Jackett said no, or is there more to it than that?

I'm not sure Thelwell's involved in current recruitment but I would bet that Webber and the other first team scout leaving are to do with a difference of opinion between them and KJ. I've seen this first hand elsewhere and it doesn't end well. That's what I think has happened but I may be doing complex maths with 2+2.

Which first team scout has left, Johnny?

To NE66
A bit like how he knew what we would pay him when he was a Sheffield United player? All club's do it.

Yes - all clubs do it, including us. Doesn't make it right or any less distasteful. I know a few Sheffield United fans and they were disappointed to say the least at his attitude to them when we came in for him.

Which first team scout has left, Johnny?

There's two that have left I think (neither were at the top of the tree). YW also says his lecturer (?) who was head of recruitment for the U18's has gone to Burnley.

Previously I was part of a whole team that left Hull for Palace and I've seen heads of recruitment dispatched whilst the rest of the scouting team was left rudderless (again at Palace). IT's organised chaos at times and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what has gone on here.

There's two that have left I think (neither were at the top of the tree). YW also says his lecturer (?) who was head of recruitment for the U18's has gone to Burnley.

Previously I was part of a whole team that left Hull for Palace and I've seen heads of recruitment dispatched whilst the rest of the scouting team was left rudderless (again at Palace). IT's organised chaos at times and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what has gone on here.

What kind of role were you involved in?

FWIW, I think KMac can fuck right off. He wasn't that good last season, he had some great games and he had some games where he made no impact, I do think some view him with rose coloured specs, and his attitude in pulling this kind of shit at Sheff Utd and here just shows that he has a mercenary side to him.
It leaves us exposed in midfield and the recruitment side of things looks worrying, but as Langers said, the club is bigger and we should get rid and move on as soon as possible.

No the lecturer/coach at my uni was a first team scout. Now works at Burnley. Where the academy head of recruitment has also left for.

According to The Sun, we're interested in Ben Hamer of Leicester City.

I think we should keep him and make him one of the best paid players at the club (if those are his demands). Not many players can control the midfield and play the types of through-balls we've seen from him over the last two years.

But any replacement will be quicker, stronger in the tackle and there’s more chance of us resigning Leon Clark than any replacement having a poorer shot than KM.

Whittingham is done. He was a brilliant player at this level but not any longer.

I maintain that being unable to sit down and negotiate an improved contract with one of our best players is a major failing on the part of Moxey/Thelwell & co.

A player of McDonald's quality could be the difference between promotion or another season at this level, I have no idea what we're playing at here. He should easily be one of the best paid players at the club. Easily.

Back