• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 1-2 Crying Game Verdict thread

I meant for his goalthreat more than anything else TBF

Just got home from that tripe and I'm still seething.
Good reason we are so piss poor at home is because we are littered with bang average players who aren't capable of performing in front of a biggish home crowd many of them will be better suited in league 1 infront of smaller crowds.
I think the phrase "you had one job" is applicable for Ikeme tonight, if he had any doubts he could have held onto that ball then punch it out even still he should be holding on to that. His kicking again left a lot to be desired.
Saville I'm sorry simply was just a waste tonight he should have been hooked earlier than half time he was that bad.
Edwards performance's seem to be getting poorer by the week and again it's time he was dropped.
Doherty simply hasn't got the positional sense to defend.
9 home defeats now this season which is just pathetic which is down to a group of players not big enough or good enough to play infront a decent crowd.
On a side note atmosphere in the ground tonight was very edgy I counted at least 3 flair ups just in the lower tier of the Stan Cullis with clowns arguing and squaring upto each other.

Your probably right but don't let facts obscure my point that we have players that are used to relegation....(btw I think your right on only 2 being regular starters that season)
I think the broader point is we have huffers and puffers who fundamentally aren't very good footballers and even those that weren't here the last time we went down are poor technical footballers such as Saville and Coady

He gets the odd goal, but it's the gaping massive lack of anything other than that is our issue - he doesn't tackle, can't run and I'm not sure I've ever see him play a decent pass. He's symptomatic of a culture of players who try hard but are ultimately shit.

We have decent players, and we have young midfielders who may be good. Let's play them and consign Edward, coady, saville and co to the dung heap.

I think the broader point is we have huffers and puffers who fundamentally aren't very good footballers and even those that weren't here the last time we went down have been replaced by poor technical footballers such as Saville and Coady

We have players set up for a glamour tie, I. E. Players who work hard off the ball. Give most of our players the football for any period of time and we are in trouble.

If we keep Edwards (and co) in the team that is where we are heading for.

For too long now running and 'graft' have been prioritised over intelligence and ability. It is a deeply embedded issue at Wolves and successive managers have fallen into this trap, sooner or later. Until that is changed we are going nowhere

Indeed, sacking the backroom staff, fresh ideas and a new direction needed now.

I'm not quite the conspiracist Penk is but there is something not right with our set up when our coach has an ear piece.

Who exactly is he getting information from and why?

The game was awful, we're going down by picking the same players over and over again. It is literally a definition of insanity.

I've never been convinced by Lambert and he's not doing a lot to persuade me otherwise. That supposed meeting in the week between Jeff and the rest must have been illuminating and I wouldn't be surprised to see people go on Monday.

We have players set up for a glamour tie, I. E. Players who work hard off the ball. Give most of our players the football for any period of time and we are in trouble.
Agreed, but as I said earlier up the thread, on the Chelsea verdict one and the Blues pre match one tonight, Wigan and Burton are the typical games. That's not how Blues have been playing, neither was it Newcastle or Wigan, but anyone that scouts us knows the way to play against us is to let us have the ball and be solid. We won't break them down and will eventually make a mistake in our own box.

But that's all he has - imagine we had a midfielder who could control and pass the ball as well as run in his place?
Well the others dont even have goalthreat so what do you do?

I would select some creative players next to Edwards to maximize chances

There is something fundamentally wrong with our club! We are in freefall mode, again. Worrying times ahead of us. It would set us back years, if we went down again.

How many fans rolled their eyes when they saw that team selection before kick off.
Playing Edwards in a number 10 role is just bonkers. Just hoping now Lambert has seen how bad Saville is and he'll play Price and Saiss in centre.

Well the others dont even have goalthreat so what do you do?
If Edwards plays in that position all he offers is a potential goal threat, he won't ever create anything nor link play like a Number 10 should. I could have typed that 4 years ago, yet we still persist with that tactic.

*Blues fully deserved it, once we'd literally given them something to defend we were always going to lose the game, we very rarely come back from behind, especially with this set up.
*Davis, Adams, Bielick, Kieftenbeld all key for Blues tonight, and all wanted it more than so many of our players.
*We just don't seem to have a pattern of play or a plan? Is it just give it to Costa and hope for the best? Because that's what it feels like?
*At what point do we bin these tactics, especially at home, we aren't creating anything and having 3 in CM isn't dominating midfield, so why not go 442 at least then we'd have 2 options in the box, which is the reason Dicko scored tonight, Costa had two options.
*Of all the ****y things Robinson has done down the years against Wolves and not been punished, that was probably the weakest offence, yet strongest punishment. 38 years old and wound up by Bod giving him lip about 30 mins prior, what a ****ing ****er.
*Surely Gibbs-White or Bright would have been a useful attacking sub to bring on towards the end for Price or Edwards?

Ikeme - Dreadful mistake, all because he saunters out to claim it rather than looking nimble and sharp like a keeper should, he lacks urgency in pretty much every situation. 3

Doherty - Made one good block and had one decent run first half, otherwise slowed our play down and as ever totally one paced. 5

Stearman - Didn't have to mark anyone especially after ****inson got sent off, didn't really do anything badly 6

Batth - Generally dealt with a lively Adams pretty well i felt, other than one foul in the corner 2nd half. Had a lot of the ball especially when they had 10 men, as ever with Batth it was largely HOOF, but his distribution was ok today. 7

Coady - As with all the defenders he didn't have a lot to do, so it was about his distribution, which was generally poor, made some bad decisions and works even worse with Weiman than he does with Costa, him clipping the ball into the final 3rd is getting really ****ing tedious. 4

Price - His set pieces were ok, and he kept the ball, but like the rest of the midfield simply didn't impose himself on the game at all. Was better in the 2nd half, very poor in the first. 5

Edwards - Difficult to recall him doing anything of note other than a couple of snap shots. He doesn't link the play, is one paced, and has very little vision, so why play him behind the striker? Very poor. 5

Savile - Tried hard, I actually felt at half time he was probably our most effective CM (low bar) but then he went off. 5.5

Weiman - Doesn't look to beat his man, doesn't cross the ball well, can't tackle, I hope he is just lacking in confidence, because if he isn't, he's just ****. 5

Costa - Fouled several times, and always looked most likely to create something. He must have faced 3 different right backs tonight, nowhere near as effective as he was whilst on loan and/or since Cavaliero was on the other side. 6

Bodvarsson - Loved him giving Robinson **** in the first half, which ultimately lead to Robinsons getting sent off, as ever he gives everything, but never looks like scoring. 5.5

Dicko - Great to see him score, and he should have got another from a header - he was offside for the goal though, marginally. Hopefully he will hit on now. 7

Does anyone still think that this team is a 2 or 3 signings away from a promotion challenge? The initial organisation and determination bounce that Lambert brought has well and truly disappeared.

For me in an absolutely ideal world we need a better keeper, 2 new fullbacks, a CB suited to playing with Hause (if he can be taught to concentrate!) 3 CMs and at least 2 strikers of course we will need a lot less if we go down!

Have we been better without him though?

I think it's very clear what our style of play is and has been since PL came in. It's to hoof it forward and hope. It works OK away from home as we are able to hit teams on the break, at home it's just dreadful.

I'm fucking fuming after that, i knew once i saw the line up that we were in trouble and i really don't understand how it's going to get better if he keeps playing the same players and those same tactics. I know you can't keep sacking managers but honestly he's close to being at that point but if he does go everyone else should go with him this time.

How can you go into any game with that midfield 3 and hope to create something? The second half was better but only because Robinson got sent off and even then our tactic was still to hit it long or give it to Costa and hope he comes up with something.

We are in serious peril at the moment, got to find a win from somewhere starting that horrid sinking feeling again. Very thought of third tier football again makes me feel ill.

I think Elephant Pyjamas has it spot on.

I'm fucking fuming after that, i knew once i saw the line up that we were in trouble and i really don't understand how it's going to get better if he keeps playing the same players and those same tactics. I know you can't keep sacking managers but honestly he's close to being at that point but if he does go everyone else should go with him this time.

How can you go into any game with that midfield 3 and hope to create something? The second half was better but only because Robinson got sent off and even then our tactic was still to hit it long or give it to Costa and hope he comes up with something.

Lambert should go, didn't even go three at the back 10 mins after our goal..
I think it's very clear what our style of play is and has been since PL came in. It's to hoof it forward and hope. It works OK away from home as we are able to hit teams on the break, at home it's just dreadful.
Correct, we cant dictate a game.. So away games and hit on the counter suits better..

Back