• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Starting high is fine, but we can't play the game Moxey did with Fletcher and Jarvis, squeezing every penny he possibly could out of the buying club and then going on a trolley dash in the last week of the window. £40m, now would be better than £45m at the end of August if we are only prepared to do our incomings post sale
Neither £40m nor £45m are enough for us to replace Neves (which we can't do like for like irrespective of how much money we have) AND improve several other areas of the squad.

Neither £40m nor £45m are enough for us to replace Neves (which we can't do like for like irrespective of how much money we have) AND improve several other areas of the squad.
I wasn't really making the point about the actual value, although I do think we'll get sub £50m, more that £5m extra at the end of the window won't be any good to us if it prevents us from signing players earlier. I can't see Jeff doing what Villa did with Grealish last year and spending the money before it's guaranteed

I wasn't really making the point about the actual value, although I do think we'll get sub £50m, more that £5m extra at the end of the window won't be any good to us if it prevents us from signing players earlier. I can't see Jeff doing what Villa did with Grealish last year and spending the money before it's guaranteed
You assume we'll spend the money even after it's guaranteed!

Don't think anyone is going to pay 70m for him with 2 years left on his deal. I think we would accept anywhere around 50 in the end.

Don't think anyone is going to pay 70m for him with 2 years left on his deal. I think we would accept anywhere around 50 in the end.
Sadly Deano I think you're right

I think given the wankers in charge, if it was a straight forward £50m (i.e. not dependent on his individual or team success) I'd actually be pleasantly surprised

I'd be happy with Minamino. No doubt someone else will beat us to his signature.

I saw a post earlier (obviously, like all, to be taken with a pinch of salt) saying that we wouldn't move for Palhinha until a deal has been done for Neves. Mad isn't it? If you know that money is going to come in for Ruben anyway, go and sign the players required, or you run the risk of missing out on all your targets.

The counter to that being if Neves ends up staying because no-one bids what we want or he doesn't want to go to the clubs who are interested, you might not necessarily want to play Palhinha alongside him, for one thing we'd still be stuck in a situation where our midfield contributes very few goals and struggles for mobility. You might want to sign an entirely different type of midfielder*.

*A good one who doesn't have size 17 clown shoes, lolz

The counter to that being if Neves ends up staying because no-one bids what we want or he doesn't want to go to the clubs who are interested, you might not necessarily want to play Palhinha alongside him, for one thing we'd still be stuck in a situation where our midfield contributes very few goals and struggles for mobility. You might want to sign an entirely different type of midfielder*.

*A good one who doesn't have size 17 clown shoes, lolz
That's not going to happen. Wolves aren't in a position to be demanding £70m for Neves. If they get an offer of £45-50m and turn it down and the other clubs don't budge we lose him for half that next Summer and the prospective buying clubs know this.

Also what if a bid they deem acceptable doesn't materialise until late in the window and our targets have gone elsewhere? The club need to be proactive this Summer and accept that there is around a 95% probability Neves will be gone. The notion that we can't spend any money until his sale is gone through is absolutely ludicrous.

Oh yeah, they might *want* to have a net spend around £0 (they shouldn't) but that shouldn't determine the order in which we do things. It's not like you or I not being able to afford to book a holiday until it's payday.

He'll only go if it's the right move so it's as much down to him as us. I don't see him moving somewhere to primarily sit on the bench, it's not in his makeup.

Back