• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I mean, we can't really prefer a panic buy, can we? How often do those go well?
That isn't what people are advocating really is it though. It shouldn't have got to this. As Jinky says, similar scenarios could also appear in other areas of the pitch if we aren't careful.

I mean, we can't really prefer a panic buy, can we? How often do those go well?
0_49728

Yep no one is saying go and get some one quick, more of a case of “How the fuck have you let this happen” there’s absolutely zero joined up thinking at the club.
I seriously doubt a panic loan or buy would be any worse than 8 weeks of what option we currently have.

I seriously doubt a panic loan or buy would be any worse than 8 weeks of what option we currently have.
Depends. Because say, Benteke would be worse, he'd just cost us money and we'd be in the same situation, we have no-one up front who we actually want to pick or who will score any goals.

Wee Liam listed Podence as one of the "options" up top. I assume he's got that information direct from the management. Yeah, a lone striker who is what, 5'5''? That seems a good idea.

Didn't MGW play sort of up front at points for Sheff Utd last season? I'm not advocating it, just saying.

That isn't what people are advocating really is it though. It shouldn't have got to this. As Jinky says, similar scenarios could also appear in other areas of the pitch if we aren't careful.
That's a fair point, tbh.

Depends. Because say, Benteke would be worse, he'd just cost us money and we'd be in the same situation, we have no-one up front who we actually want to pick or who will score any goals.

Wee Liam listed Podence as one of the "options" up top. I assume he's got that information direct from the management. Yeah, a lone striker who is what, 5'5''? That seems a good idea.

Didn't MGW play sort of up front at points for Sheff Utd last season? I'm not advocating it, just saying.
He played as a false 9 towards the end of the season including the plag offs after all their centre forwards had died

Probably saw him score a header against Besiktas and thought.... Hmmmmm.

Will be interesting to see who is on the plane to Portugal . Hwang is probably still fit to play - so can't go .

Will Lage just go with no striker so ?

I know that Cutrone and Bonatini are looking for new clubs and we want them moved on . They are however our players for now . We need a plan B - bring them and give them 20 minutes out there , or a full half in the Sunday match .

Well better now than on 2 September. Going to cost more than you wanted Fosun, now you know how season ticket holders felt!

We should have a list of strikers who are a style fit already scouted anyway as we reportedly wanted another striker anyway.
Exactly this.

It's sheer twattery by Shi and Sellars to get to this point.

And to think people still defend this pair of morons.

The sooner Shi is fired into the sun the better.

Last edited:
Well better now than on 2 September. Going to cost more than you wanted Fosun, now you know how season ticket holders felt!
As I say, this doesn't happen.

There's no way that clubs increase the selling price because some guy at another club is injured, I can't think of a single example where that's ever happened. At absolute worst the buying club might end up paying for a player they previously discounted because they didn't think he'd get in the team and wasn't worth the price, but now he would play as there's a gaping hole.

If Palace were quoting us £5m for Benteke last week he isn't going to cost £10m now because Raul is out for a while, it makes no difference to Palace. Of course we shouldn't pay 5p for him.

As I say, this doesn't happen.

There's no way that clubs increase the selling price because some guy at another club is injured, I can't think of a single example where that's ever happened. At absolute worst the buying club might end up paying for a player they previously discounted because they didn't think he'd get in the team and wasn't worth the price, but now he would play as there's a gaping hole.

If Palace were quoting us £5m for Benteke last week he isn't going to cost £10m now because Raul is out for a while, it makes no difference to Palace. Of course we shouldn't pay 5p for him.
That wasn’t my point, rather that now Raul is out for a significant number of games we should be looking for a better option not just back up.

That wasn’t my point, rather that now Raul is out for a significant number of games we should be looking for a better option not just back up.
Ah, I get you.

The argument I was making earlier got missed at the bottom of another page though so I stick by it :)

I don't know why not having a single fit centre forward 10 days before the start of the season is a laughing matter. Then again I'm not a fucking weirdo who spends half their life on a football forum of a team they profess not to support.
Hyperbole Alert!

It’s not a laughing matter, it’s one of the most incompetent mistakes that has been made in the history of football. By anyone. Ever.

"When I look at the profile of the strikers, if I can I prefer to have three. I have a guy like Fabio, a player like Raul... Fabio can do the runs in the channels very good, he's working hard to improve his game between the lines to link, he's very good to find spaces in the box to score goals.

You can also have a young guy to be that striker in the box to win the aerial duels.

It's not to bring one guy to stay in front of Fabio, it's to bring one guy to have different profiles"

Bruno Lage - February 2022

"When I look at the profile of the strikers, if I can I prefer to have three. I have a guy like Fabio, a player like Raul... Fabio can do the runs in the channels very good, he's working hard to improve his game between the lines to link, he's very good to find spaces in the box to score goals.

You can also have a young guy to be that striker in the box to win the aerial duels.

It's not to bring one guy to stay in front of Fabio, it's to bring one guy to have different profiles"

Bruno Lage - February 2022
Fuck that shit

Jeff Shi - July 2022

Back