• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Had a good lockdown season but can't say I am enthused about the idea of Benteke. However, if we are really set on signing a lump for whatever reason it really could be worse. It won't be pretty but could very well be effective - all those aimless floated crosses might finally find someone.

Is he even any better than Fabio, I have my doubts but I've not seen loads of him. Bit in the Copa America and odd championship game but never massively stood out as a player.
As of right now he definitely is. You think Silva would have scored 22 in the Championship last season?

Our problem is attracting someone decent enough for our needs, whilst accepting they'll likely be second choice for the majority of the time.

That leaves younger riskier signings, or older players who are grateful for a move and a fresh start somewhere.

So I can see why they'd go for someone like Benteke. I just think there'd be someone more suitable in terms of playing style out there.

Is he even any better than Fabio, I have my doubts but I've not seen loads of him. Bit in the Copa America and odd championship game but never massively stood out as a player.
Someone like brereton Diaz, not necessarily him. He was the best example I could think of, coming off the back of a decent season, international call ups and a year left on his contract. It's debatable whether he's better than Silva, but I'd prefer brereton Diaz over Benteke, both from a footballing and financial perspective.

If Diaz is available for around the 15million that was previously mentioned they I would absolutely have preferred that to Benteke. Is he transfer listed then? I presumed he was on a free but just spotted he is still at Palace.

Our problem is attracting someone decent enough for our needs, whilst accepting they'll likely be second choice for the majority of the time.

That leaves younger riskier signings, or older players who are grateful for a move and a fresh start somewhere.

So I can see why they'd go for someone like Benteke. I just think there'd be someone more suitable in terms of playing style out there.
That's why Hwang who isn't Hwang or Jota/Cav as was would make sense. A genuine option on either of the wide forward positions who can also play down the middle would be ideal, so they aren't just backing up Raul

Someone like brereton Diaz, not necessarily him. He was the best example I could think of, coming off the back of a decent season, international call ups and a year left on his contract. It's debatable whether he's better than Silva, but I'd prefer brereton Diaz over Benteke, both from a footballing and financial perspective.

Understand now. I just don't think there's any striker I'd have from last year's championship. Be more tempted to take a punt on someone like Ajorque from France.

Edit: notice that belotti's name is being put about for West Ham or Everton, cost nowt and he's miles better than Brereton Diaz will ever be.

Last edited:
Someone from the Championship would make sense, especially someone like Diaz. You would be hoping he is capable of making the same kind of step up that Bowen has

Last I heard Belotti was destined for Roma.
Probably likely as you don't get many Italians flourishing abroad. I seem to recall some Romanian fella taking the point to the extreme in relation to Cutrone (unfortunately he turned out to be mostly correct).

I don't think Belotti is stupid enough to play for a man who would start Tammy Abraham over him. But that likely means he is also too smart to play for Lage.

Those films have more redeeming qualities than their source material, at least.

They do a lot of legwork to clean up the mess the books are.

Plus, you get to see Pattinson and Stewart, who are both eye candy to me and it's utterly bizarre to watch them stumble through those roles knowing that they go on to be actual, proper actors in later films.

Look, I've had a lot of free time on my hands in the past, don't judge me.

There’s a school in Lincoln called Robert Patterson, and every time I went past I’d tell the kids the school was named after the bloke out the twilight movies because he lived across the road, then point to some random house opposite the school.
Nobody ever pointed out the spelling difference as they were too busy looking at his old house.
Did similar in Grantham driving past Sir Isaac Newtons statue, I’d say “ that’s the bloke who invented gravity, if he hadn’t invented it, we’d all still be floating about” not a flicker out of them, saying err discovered, not invented.
I’m guessing they just thought the bus driver was a dick.

Well we're going to need to get a forward over the line this week, I think. And even bringing someone new in, they've missed the majority of pre-season at this point so little chance to bed them in. Have we heard any more on Raul's injury?

I maybe in the minority here, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with Benteke (but only if he's not our one and only signing alongside Collins). For me, it's not so much about the quantity of goals that he'll score individually (obviously the more the better), but I think he'll actually help the likes of Neto, Podence, MGW, Adama increase their own goal tallies, through his hold up play and getting on the end of long balls or crosses for players running off him. If Benteke can help others score more goals and knock in a few himself, I'm ok with that. It's quite obvious we've wanted a 'big' man for a while.

I'm still not sure we'll pay his wages, though.

Well we're going to need to get a forward over the line this week, I think. And even bringing someone new in, they've missed the majority of pre-season at this point so little chance to bed them in. Have we heard any more on Raul's injury?

I maybe in the minority here, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with Benteke (but only if he's not our one and only signing alongside Collins). For me, it's not so much about the quantity of goals that he'll score individually (obviously the more the better), but I think he'll actually help the likes of Neto, Podence, MGW, Adama increase their own goal tallies, through his hold up play and getting on the end of long balls or crosses for players running off him. If Benteke can help others score more goals and knock in a few himself, I'm ok with that. It's quite obvious we've wanted a 'big' man for a while.

I'm still not sure we'll pay his wages, though.
4 goals 0 assists in 25 games.

4 goals 0 assists in 25 games.
I think you have to be fair. He featured in 31 games across all competitions last season but was literally a sub for 20 of them - and the majority of those he was given 10 or less minutes to try and do something. You can spin stats any way to suit an argument.

There's also no way in knowing how well he'll do here under a different manager, with different surroundings, different tactics & teammates etc. My main point was, I wouldn't be too dissatisfied with him being signed to compete/jobshare with Raul, as I reckon he'd score a few himself, but also create opportunities/openings for others.

Back