• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Personally don’t see a fat lot wrong with it. We aren’t signing anyone any good, we aren’t signing a prospect. So it’s a cheap option for a year and hope Fabio comes in next Year.

It’s a current upgrade on Fabio
As an extra body and not being Hwang yes, not any way other than that though. He's immobile so isn't going to link up play like Raul and he isn't going to close down from the front like he does. We aren't going to be throwing balls into the box for him to head in, even in pre season it's been mainly cut backs.

We are a team which doesn't score enough goals and we are going to solve that by, apparently, signing a striker who famously does not score goals.

Last edited:
I'm mixed on this. Of the big buggers we've been linked with he's probably the best of them and I sort of see it. However, he's also a bit shit.

I'm mixed on this. Of the big buggers we've been linked with he's probably the best of them and I sort of see it. However, he's also a bit shit.
If we HAVE to sign a lump the I agree we could do worse, I just don't see why we the manager wants to, I don't think we have the players to get the best out of them

As an extra body and not being Hwang yes, not any way other than that though. He's immobile so isn't going to link up play like Raul and he isn't going to close down from the front like he does. We aren't going to be throwing balls into the box for him to head in, even in pre season it's been mainly cut backs.

He’s barely going to play (in theory) so none of what I’m going to say really matters.

What does his immobility have to do with him linking play? Perfect for chipping the ball up to.

We have no idea whether we are going to cross it or not. I’d say there is a good chance we will as there will be more people in there. It’s also not going to be as easy to walk it in against decent teams.

We are a team which doesn't score enough goals and we are going to solve that by, apparently, signing a striker who famously does score goals.

We don’t score enough goals as we play(ed) dull negative football with too many men behind the ball and too deep. That looks to be changing.

He scored 10 goals in 20/21 in 1800 minutes. 4 goals in 1100 minutes last year. Doesn’t exactly scream “doesn’t score goals”, and his 86 PL goals to date.

Raul scored 5 non penalties in 2600 minutes. I expect him to be better this year, but I also expect the other forwards to be more of a goal source meaning we aren’t relying on the CF.

Benteke fits the cheap, available, willing to be backup, throw it in the mixer late on role Bruno wants, do a job better than Fabio or a false 9 when Raul injured/suspended

Benteke is fucking shit, old, immobile and pointless. He won't be on small wages, and if that's the level of signing we are going for I'd rather have kept Silva. Hopefully it's bollocks.

Any manager who starts Christian Benteke over a fit Raúl Jiménez should be sacked on the spot.

I really, really, hope that we don't sign him because I'm trying so hard not to hate on Lage. I'm genuinely excited by some of the football we're playing this pre-season, even in the face of the bleak future that our spectacular combination of zero investment and a shit recruitment team will inevitably bring. We still have a good squad and this might be their last chance to do something special, we seem to have pulled one out of the bag with Nathan Collins, hopefully we don't fuck up the CM & ST situation.

The old link to Thomas Henry was more intriguing than Benteke, would've been worth a flutter at the sub £10m he joined Verona for last month.

He’s barely going to play (in theory) so none of what I’m going to say really matters.

What does his immobility have to do with him linking play? Perfect for chipping the ball up to.
I think the first sentence is too presumptive, we saw what happened the season before last if we lose Raul and don't have a competent replacement.

The immobility matters because once Raul has laid it off we expect him to get into the box and be on the end of the return ball, that's not happening with Benteke

I think the first sentence is too presumptive, we saw what happened the season before last if we lose Raul and don't have a competent replacement.

I’m backing Raul this year though. And I do think he’s a competent replacement? He’s better than Fabio currently.
The immobility matters because once Raul has laid it off we expect him to get into the box and be on the end of the return ball, that's not happening with Benteke
Fair point. Although I haven’t studied current day Benteke, I don’t think Raul is particularly mobile in that regard so it’s not like we’d be replacing Jamie Vardy with Grant Holt.

As long as the interplay isn’t happening on the halfway line there’s plenty of opportunity for him to get in the box.

The reason I find Benteke unlikely is he’s meant to be on quite big wages isn’t he?

Benteke may be a big unit and decent with his head, but I'm not sure he's the Raul replacement we need, not even for a season.

Our current style of play relies on linking and interchanging between all the front 3 or 4 players. I doubt Benteke can do that from what I remember of him.

I’m backing Raul this year though. And I do think he’s a competent replacement? He’s better than Fabio currently.

Fair point. Although I haven’t studied current day Benteke, I don’t think Raul is particularly mobile in that regard so it’s not like we’d be replacing Jamie Vardy with Grant Holt.

As long as the interplay isn’t happening on the halfway line there’s plenty of opportunity for him to get in the box.

Raul is loads quicker and more mobile than Benteke. Although I think it's for a different dimension than to compete with Raul, there will be games where we are forced wide into crossing areas consistently and Benteke is excellent in the air. He's not a complete donkey like he's portrayed either, passable from a technical perspective.

Whilst Benteke would be a stop-gap, I can't help but think someone like Brereton Diaz would be better. Someone just about to make the step up rather than someone on the decline. Wages would surely be less too, which would go towards the difference in transfer fee.

I'm assuming Benteke is still under contract with palace so they'd want a fee for him.

I'd rather spend a bit more and go for someone like Broja instead, though I doubt he'd come knowing Jimenez will likely start when fit.

Whilst Benteke would be a stop-gap, I can't help but think someone like Brereton Diaz would be better. Someone just about to make the step up rather than someone on the decline. Wages would surely be less too, which would go towards the difference in transfer fee.

I'm assuming Benteke is still under contract with palace so they'd want a fee for him.

Is he even any better than Fabio, I have my doubts but I've not seen loads of him. Bit in the Copa America and odd championship game but never massively stood out as a player.

Back