• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I quite liked El-Arabi last night. Good touch, good movement. Wouldn't mind him as the back up striker (this is a very hard spot to fill, Spurs have been trying for years with zero success).

Not sure how Olympiacos would feel about us continually nicking their best attackers.

I quite liked El-Arabi last night. Good touch, good movement. Wouldn't mind him as the back up striker (this is a very hard spot to fill, Spurs have been trying for years with zero success).

Not sure how Olympiacos would feel about us continually nicking their best attackers.

Yeah, he was good wasn't he! Quick, intelligent, tended to make good decisions and as you say good touch and movement. 27 goals this season too - 7 in Europe.

He is 33 though, but that makes him cheaper and more likely to be happy with playing 2nd fiddle.

The game at Sheffield demonstrated perfectly how subs can change a game. They brought on two forwards, by no means superstars, and their fresh legs chasing down really helped them pressurise us in the final quarter. Wilder trusted them to do a job and we need subs that Nuno trusts or he won't use them. The change to five subs necessitates a change in how you use your bench, previously a degree of caution was justified in case of injury, now teams are going to bring on fresh players far more and teams that don't will be at a disadvantage. Whilst I'm disappointed we have made little change to starting line up in recent windows it is essential we have subs that are deemed acceptable or it will cost us, more so as I fear our regular 13 players will get a shortened break and will need careful management or they will be completely knackered well before Christmas. If the likes of Jordao and Campana aren't better than a shagged out Moutinho or Raul we need better options.

Agree with what you say, but I don't think you're ever going to see Nuno go sub crazy (we've had games where we've made none before, and we didn't even win) or beef up the squad to the point where there are loads of rotation options.

We can debate the wrongs and the rights of that approach, but he isn't going to change.

In an ideal world though I presume Vallejo and Cutrone would have been strong bench options if they'd worked out, so I don't think he's unreasonably stubborn regarding beefing up the squad. It seems he just wants to do it slowly

Wouldn't be surprised at all if we see very little movement this summer. It is going to be a horror of a market for anyone other than the biggest clubs who have the commercial power to adsorb the hit of no gate receipts.

Yes, you're right. I'm full of admiration for what Doc has done with his career, but if we're to move to the next level we need someone better. And someone who's more of a natural athlete

We just need another option, Doc has way exceeded my expectations but we don't have anyone else. Adama is not a proper option, Young Oskar is a nice kid who'll make a decent career but it won't be here, and if I took Matheson for a drink later I'd have to buy him a pop.

Yes, you're right. I'm full of admiration for what Doc has done with his career, but if we're to move to the next level we need someone better. And someone who's more of a natural athlete
Not so much next level but more having an option for that position. Whether Doc is the starter or the back up doesnt matter

We just need another option, Doc has way exceeded my expectations but we don't have anyone else. Adama is not a proper option, Young Oskar is a nice kid who'll make a decent career but it won't be here, and if I took Matheson for a drink later I'd have to buy him a pop.

I'd be pretty happy if the Aarons rumours were true. Could work his way into the team, young enough to learn and improve under Nuno and eventually you'd hope Matheson and him would be very good competition

Aarons or Cash would do me.

In a dream world, should City give up on him and need the money to fund something else legitimately, Cancelo. But I can't see it.

Not so much next level but more having an option for that position. Whether Doc is the starter or the back up doesnt matter

I think it matters because as well as he's done he's one of the weakest links and most easily upgradeable players in the side.

I think it matters because as well as he's done he's one of the weakest links and most easily upgradeable players in the side.

He might be but my point is just improving on the option as a starting point. Right now we have Doc.....Traore and a Kid we don't fully trust yet in Buur (if we did, he would have been on v Chelsea). So if we go into next season with a better option than that and Doc still ast 1st choice, then its a step forward. In an ideal world we will find a replacement and Doc will be the back up option but it depends where we put our priority when we start signing this summer

Aarons or Cash would do me.

In a dream world, should City give up on him and need the money to fund something else legitimately, Cancelo. But I can't see it.
Now if you offered Cancelo in a part exchange deal for Adama that could work. We may even make 10m or so.

Myth.

* If he was so easily upgradeable, we would have done it by now.
* He is second only to TAA in defender goal involvement since we got promoted
* Not many teams play with wingbacks, so identifying a RB that can play RWB or a RW that can play RWB isn't *that* easy
* His aerial presence is massively under rated, i can't imagine that there is a player that makes up for the weaknesses in Doc's game, that also gives us that.

Myth.

* He is second only to TAA in goal involvement since we got promoted
* Not many teams play with wingbacks, so identifying a RB that can play RWB or a RW that can play RWB isn't *that* easy
* His aerial presence is massively under rated, i can't imagine that there is a player that makes up for the weaknesses in Doc's game, that also gives us that.

It's not a myth though, in some games its actually very noticeable. Doherty has improved a lot and your points about his goal involvements and aerial ability are correct but he's still not the best defensively, too much comes in from his side of the pitch. It will be tough to get an all round wing back that's better but the same can be said for pretty much any position in our team but we need to find a way to do it to improve. I think in the last year or two there have been more and more teams starting to play with wing backs - definitely not as rare as it was 2-3 years ago.

Myth.

* He is second only to TAA in defender goal involvement since we got promoted

yeah he is good enough for sure, but would be nice with another option too..so they spur eachother on...you want competition for each spot in the best of worlds, just to keep improving and giving your best each game

Yeah absolutely, we need a viable option for when his form dips, or god forbid he actually gets injured (remarkably, like Coady i don't think he has missed a game under Nuno through injury?)

I just don't think an oven ready replacement is as easy to find as is repeatedly suggested by the majority of Wolves fans because of the reasons stated above, and defensively he is decent - even when he was off his game like last night it was down our left rather than our right that the crosses were coming in from, and Doc was often there to head them away, it's extremely rare now that he is directly responsible for a goal we concede - the Burnley penalty being an exception.

Yeah absolutely, we need a viable option for when his form dips, or god forbid he actually gets injured (remarkably, like Coady i don't think he has missed a game under Nuno through injury?)

Had his lip thing right at the start of this season if you count that.

Last time he got injured on the park was near the end of Lambert's time. Meant we played Silvio, prince amongst men that he was.

Back