• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

yes, not a goalscorer but his running off the ball and link up play was very good..created space for others..a thing which is very much underestimated in todays football, you have to move those defences around and make them unsure

At the time that we signed him he was in a great partnership with Billy Sharp but where Sharp was the Bully of the duo, Keogh was the Mutch but with less goals in him

I've watched a little of him recently - he's clearly far, far too good for the league he's in...not quite sure how he'd measure up at a higher level though. He's still young though, he fits 'our' profile for sure, similar to how Olmo did.

Perhaps a different concept of outstanding - to me Traore is outstanding at dribbling (pace too), Shearer was outstanding at finishing. As good as Raúl is he’s not on par with the best in any of the categories, but it does all come together and work.

I would say he is outstanding at penalties, possibly the best I’ve ever seen.

Apart from penalties, hes gotta be up there with the best heading and positioning wise, creativity and link up play too. His passing, crossing, acceleration, dribbling and technical skill is superb for a big man. Hes not an elite finisher, but thats the only real downside to his entire game.

If he's been successful in Jesse Marsch's system that at least means he probably has decent character and a good engine at minimum. Marsch wasn't one to suffer idiots when he was in New York.

Sunday Mirror is linking us with Otavio from Porto. Can't see it myself...
Yeah, doubt that very much. He's a very good player but we've already got one tiny winger and he can't get a start due to the quality ahead of him so I can't see the point in signing Otávio.

We're going to be linked with a lot of Porto players due to their financial situation, especially if they don't win the league (they really should but have dropped some ridiculous points since the restart), but Otávio is one I really can't see happening.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Yeah, doubt that very much. He's a very good player but we've already got one tiny winger and he can't get a start due to the quality ahead of him so I can't see the point in signing Otávio.

We're going to be linked with a lot of Porto players due to their financial situation, especially if they don't win the league (they really should but have dropped some ridiculous points since the restart), but Otávio is one I really can't see happening.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk
When's the last time a Porto star transitioned well to another league? Falcao? Moutinho?

I'm certainly not saying that Otávio isn't a good player but it feels like the Portuguese league's big guns ship out a lot of duds... Maybe it's exaggerated in my memory tho by the likes of Slimani, Mangala, Guedes, Sanches...

When's the last time a Porto star transitioned well to another league? Falcao? Moutinho?

I'm certainly not saying that Otávio isn't a good player but it feels like the Portuguese league's big guns ship out a lot of duds... Maybe it's exaggerated in my memory tho by the likes of Slimani, Mangala, Guedes, Sanches...

Ruben Neves?

Neither was Neves. Was a reserve albeit with potential.

Alex Sandro, Danilo, Ricardo Perreira, James Rodrigues, Andre Silva doing alright now,

Otamendi used to play for Porto also. Was Guedes a dud? I've seen him play for Valencia and thought he was decent.

Neither was Neves. Was a reserve albeit with potential.

Alex Sandro, Danilo, Ricardo Perreira, James Rodrigues, Andre Silva doing alright now,
Neves had captained the side in UCL. Boly made something like 9 appearances in all comps. Apples and oranges.

Jota had scored in Champions League games (against Leicester), so he was hardly off everyone's radar either.

(disregarding the Porto connections)

Neves had captained the side in UCL. Boly made something like 9 appearances in all comps. Apples and oranges.

Not sure what we’re arguing here. You said Porto havent sold anyone decent that transitioned into other leagues, they have.

But let’s carry on with the Neves one anyway. Neves made 6 starts the season before he joined wolves, Boly 4. Apples and Apples.

Fifa and FM fans were saying he was the best thing since sliced bread, but let’s be honest, no one can say they had really seen him play, and if they had they wouldn’t remember it.

What is the debate here? Even if Willy Boly was a total unknown, the fact that we were able to sign such a talented CB from the Portuguese league is testament to there being quality there. A large portion of our squad is Portuguese or has played in Portugal. Undeniable that it has talented players.

Originally I was skeptical of "star players" coming from the Primeira, but it does seem now that it was more that the high profile failures from that league just stick out more than the successes.

Even in Boly's case, though, there will always be a part of me that wonders just how good he'd be in a 2 CB system.

Fifa and FM fans were saying he was the best thing since sliced bread, but let’s be honest, no one can say they had really seen him play, and if they had they wouldn’t remember it.

Still not really buying the similarities between them tbf.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/porto-coach-julen-lopetegui-ruben-neves-no-gamble/eytclp9

Neves was already rated as a wunderkind in 2014.

Back