• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I just find it amusing that, rather than admit it's a risk and could have downsides, even temporary, people are falling over themselves to make out it's a good thing...it prompts us to play a formation better suited to Sheff Utd...Adama and Vinagre did well at City last year...we could have the answer amongst our own RBs...we can just get by till Jonny gets back NEXT YEAR...Doc couldn't defend anyway (like that was the main function of his role)
I genuinely think no one has tried to argue that it isn't a risk. People's assessment of that risk differs, clearly.

So not only has selling Doc potentially shown the way to the wing-back Rooney's right under our nose, it's also showing us our best formation. Is there any end to this amazing transfer?

It is the best shape for these two games though...

Sheff Utd both play three in the middle and overload down the flanks. We need the extra cover. Doc got absolutely hammered down there on that filthy night a few months ago.

Against City then I would say you absolutely need the extra man in there (we did play 3-4-3 at home, but then they were down to 10 men inside a few minutes).

I would not play 3-5-2 vs West Ham.

Equally I don’t people have said that. It’s a calculated short term risk, hopefully for a maximum of two games. If that wait gets Corona in for the rest of the season then it may be worth it on balance. If it is a season long decision to run without a replacement I would find that bemusing at the absolute best.

Exactly. Let's make one thing very clear here: I (and many of us) will be utterly baffled and not very happy if we dont have a recognised RWB after the window shuts.

I just don't think now is the time to express that unhappiness (even less so a week or two ago when we'd not signed anyone) when things could still yet happen to render the worrying over a hypothetical completely pointless.

It is the best shape for these two games though...

Sheff Utd both play three in the middle and overload down the flanks. We need the extra cover. Doc got absolutely hammered down there on that filthy night a few months ago.

Against City then I would say you absolutely need the extra man in there (we did play 3-4-3 at home, but then they were down to 10 men inside a few minutes).

I would not play 3-5-2 vs West Ham.

Yeah i think that's fair, not only do we need extra cover because of how they play, but also because Traore will be much more vulnerable defensively too.

However if we do go a goal down, it's going to be difficult to find a way of going 343 and pushing AT further forward that doesn't involved bringing Sanderson or Burr on.

Why must we be so manichean about things?

I mean, I'm probably not the person to ask as I've been a lurker for most of my time on here, but it does take two sides, surely.

I think everyone is holding back final appraisals until the window closes, but some just think playing potentially four PL games with no replacement is more of a risk than others.

To be clear. Four games I really wouldn’t be chuffed about. Two maximum for me.

397bc6b408848f9b073170c1f82e32a9.jpg

I can't remember if Penk still posts on here but I see he's posted on Twitter that there have been two separate sightings of Esteves today and he gave the impression they were legit.

He didn't say which city he'd been spotted in mind...

With the caveat that he looks very talented... what would we think about our three most important transfer positions being filled by a couple of 18 year olds and a 20 year old? Are we asking a lot of them?

I can't remember if Penk still posts on here but I see he's posted on Twitter that there have been two separate sightings of Esteves today and he gave the impression they were legit.

He didn't say which city he'd been spotted in mind...

Club shop and training ground.

It's a bit facile I know but Fergie sold one of the biggest stars in the world and replaced him with a skinny kid who'd scored 3 goals ever back in 2003. Worked out alright.

I don't think age is a big factor these days. They break through a lot earlier. Neves is 23 and he's played well over 200 first team games, and this being when he spent a year at Porto hardly ever getting picked.

With the caveat that he looks very talented... what would we think about our three most important transfer positions being filled by a couple of 18 year olds and a 20 year old? Are we asking a lot of them?

De Ligt, Rodrygo, Rooney, Any of the United kids under Fergie - including Beckham who had been on loan at Preston, MBappe, Terry, Lampard, Ronaldo (both).

Are there any other teenagers you would like to prove the theory that if you are old enough you are good enough?

think we have stepped up a lot in this transfer window the last week, maybe a bit better than i thought initially...maybe there is even more to come

Height wise in the photo I would suggest not. He is quite a bit taller than Vitinha. Corona is nearly the same height as our newbie Vitor though...

De Ligt, Rodrygo, Rooney, Any of the United kids under Fergie - including Beckham who had been on loan at Preston, MBappe, Terry, Lampard, Ronaldo (both).

Are there any other teenagers you would like to prove the theory that if you are old enough you are good enough?

Most of Michael Owen's best football came before he was 20.

Our very own Keano.

If they're good enough you just pick them.

Aye no argument from me there, age isn't a barrier, but on the flip side some people need a bit more patience and nurturing. Tbh I fully expect Esteves and Vitinha to properly blow the league away this season.

I'm not saying I have the answer, or necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but throwing exceptional world stars...who I have heard of, btw ;-) ...some of the best of their generation, into the conversation when the three we're talking about have 20, 8 and 2 first team appearances seems to be overkill?

Back