• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

When does he start with the Athletic? I’ve noticed a lot of them have started this week. Thought he might want to have a big story to start that off well

I will say that not activating Dias's release clause is an oddly conservative move.

With how the market's going and with the right training, he'll be worth double that in a year or two.

Spiers- Dias pursuit called off, no signings imminent.

Well, that's cheery.

Terrible window for Timothy- not broken a single one of our transfers, stuck his claim on one which went nowhere, and his last update is regurgitating rumours that other outlets have already reported.

That is a shocking article. He really does know absolutely nothing and it sounds like the club have frozen him out.

personally i think we are done for this summer. at least one, if not two of the players we wanted either didn't want us or there clubs wanted silly money, but i have no fears. we won't break top six, but we won't struggle so much either, we are still two years in front of predictions methinks.

That is a shocking article. He really does know absolutely nothing and it sounds like the club have frozen him out.

Odd, isn't it? Feels like one of us could have written it with a quick look at the rumour pages.

It's not like he saw Vallejo or Jordao/Neto coming ahead of time either.

I will say that not activating Dias's release clause is an oddly conservative move.

With how the market's going and with the right training, he'll be worth double that in a year or two.
This though assumes we ever had an interest

This though assumes we ever had an interest

Exactly, people were quick to eat it up when Tim "broke" news of our interest (if it was even genuine) but now he's saying Wolves have called off the pursuit people don't like it.

I never really bought into the Dias rumour, and I think we're done for the summer now.

We have a great, settled team and formation, and are starting the season with more confidence and experience than this time last year, but I still would have liked another quality body or two to negate our predictability, and for when games are getting away from us. Maybe Cutrone will provide this?

Big show of faith in Bennett, Coady, and Doc continuing at the top of their ceiling, and also in Vinagre, MGW and Traore progressing.

Can't deny I wouldn't have loved a statement signing or two but can't really moan about being a Wolves fan right now!

I said the same last summer and I’ll say it now - keeping Nuno and our coaching staff is the most important thing! And the fact we are going to get a third season out of Neves and Jota is fantastic. I’m pretty happy with our business - I think we will try to sign a midfielder but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t

£57m for dias and £30m for kessie both seem like really good value considering Premier League transfers so far. Let alone when compared to the Neto/Jordao value!

Yeah, both these players will be worth a lot more in a few years - and they both immediately improve us. If there’s any truth that we have enquired about them, tried to play hard ball on the figure and then backed away, I’ll be quite disappointed.

Obviously we may get a pleasant surprise this week, but generally Spiers has been quite accurate.

Yeah, both these players will be worth a lot more in a few years - and they both immediately improve us. If there’s any truth that we have enquired about them, tried to play hard ball on the figure and then backed away, I’ll be quite disappointed.

Obviously we may get a pleasant surprise this week, but generally Spiers has been quite accurate.

Really?

He hasn't got anything right this summer. He's been as accurate as Paddy's predictions.

Might be playing hardball, might not. Our transfers are a mystery at times, cant argue with the results though

I've never understood why so many people get so angry with Spiers. It's very odd.

It'd be nice for us to bring 1 more player in but Cutrone is just the sort of signing we needed. Jesus sounds like a decent addition too, though I can't comment on the 2 Portuguese lads as I don't know anything about them. Are we stronger than we were in May? Yes we are - so it's not been a bad window. I 100% trust Nuno with regards to squad size.

I do think this transfer window puts to bed some of the hype most of us have indulged in over the past couple of years re: Fosun and their willingness to flex financial muscles; we seem to be going for a more measured approach, and as YoungWolf states, keeping Nuno, our staff and existing players is important too

We are stronger than we were in May, but our rivals have also got stronger, and we've got to play a lot more games than them.

I think we're only one or two away from me being happy with the squad we've got, but we're not there.

I don't think so- he hasn't broken a single transfer, he's been outright blindsided by most of our incomings, and his calls have mainly been that we're not interested in players we plainly were never after.

I'd be more confident that he had any insight if his comments on our interest in Lemina and Kessie weren't ripped almost verbatim from other journalists.

It might not necessarily be the total fee that is putting us but the way the selling clubs want the money.

Take Arsenal for example. Zaha was their number 1 target but Palace wanted the majority of his fee paid in 1 go. Arsenal then went out and signed a player for a similar fee but with terms they were happy with.

Benfica dont want or need to sell so they can stick to their guns.

Arsenal then went out and signed a player for a similar fee but with terms they were happy with.

Arsenal needed a player and got one, even when they couldn't land their initial target.

If this report is right, we can't land our targets, and so... we're giving up. It's a touch baffling to be honest- if we're happy with the squad as it is, we obviously wouldn't be trying to sign these players in the first place.

We are stronger than we were in May, but our rivals have also got stronger, and we've got to play a lot more games than them.

I think we're only one or two away from me being happy with the squad we've got, but we're not there.

This is pretty much where I am; West Ham and Everton have 'gone for it' slightly more obviously than we have (We'll see what Leicester do with the Maguire money this week), but 'going for it' doesn't always pay dividends

Arsenal needed a player and got one, even when they couldn't land their initial target.

If this report is right, we can't land our targets, and so... we're giving up. It's a touch baffling to be honest- if we're happy with the squad as it is, we obviously wouldn't be trying to sign these players in the first place.

That's why Spiers shouldn't be trusted and I have no idea why people do. The club haven't mentioned anything this summer and it's only (as you point out) when credible journalists get hold of a story that something happens.

It annoys me that people hold up Spiers as some sort of footballing guru (not so much here but social media). Judah and Spiers are simplistic morons who have the depth of a puddle when it comes to football knowledge.

I wish people wouldn't mention them at all.

Back