• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

I'm slightly baffled by punting up £20m or more for two lads with 3 minutes first team footy between them last year and not paying the release fee for Dias - who must surely be the equal of Maguire? Right now I'm a touch underwhelmed by our business this year, but hopefully we'll be seeing the spaffing pic before Thursday...

I don't think it's out of line to suggest that the Neto/Jordao fee was a slightly bigger investment in more than just two players...

I'm slightly baffled by punting up £20m or more for two lads with 3 minutes first team footy between them last year and not paying the release fee for Dias - who must surely be the equal of Maguire? Right now I'm a touch underwhelmed by our business this year, but hopefully we'll be seeing the spaffing pic before Thursday...

My guess. Benfica want the £56m in one go and we can't do that and want it spread over 3 or 4 years. Piss easy to spend money when you are not controlling the budgets. Benfica hold all the cards on that one as they don't have to sell.

Chatter in the French media about us being in discussions for Boubakary Soumaré from Lille.

Didn't we have a €40m bid turned down and he's said he wants to stay at Lille and play in the Champions League?

If Kiesse is only €30m I'd rather we did that (only beacuse I've seen Kessie play and I think he's very good).

Didn't we have a €40m bid turned down and he's said he wants to stay at Lille and play in the Champions League?

If Kiesse is only €30m I'd rather we did that (only beacuse I've seen Kessie play and I think he's very good).

Talk seems to be a €40m deal and a year's loan back to Lille, which wouldn't really benefit us in the short term.

Agreed.

We should now be faced far less often with the situation where we're drawing or losing but bringing anyone off the bench bar Vinagre will clearly weaken the team.

I'm still hopeful we'll get another player.

I agree there's some improvement in options there, but it's only Cutrone we're talking about? MGW or Saiss still probably aren't going to change that kind of game (still hope the former can make big strides this year but currently a bit up in the air for me), so I think another attacking mid is very desirable, but I'd be surprised if we have anhything lined up at this late stage. I suspect we've found this transfer window a challenge behind the scenes

Cutrone's a BIG help in that, and probably shouldn't be underestimated here- he's the sort of option that allows for a complete change in the way a team plays.

Yes, an attacking midfielder would be lovely, but Cutrone himself offers us a completely different dimension.

I agree there's some improvement in options there, but it's only Cutrone we're talking about? MGW or Saiss still probably aren't going to change that kind of game (still hope the former can make big strides this year but currently a bit up in the air for me), so I think another attacking mid is very desirable, but I'd be surprised if we have anhything lined up at this late stage. I suspect we've found this transfer window a challenge behind the scenes

Sais is very useful in other circumstances as in injuries (he can cover a lot of postions. with a bit of swapping around. Bennett or any of the midfield)

Also when we're winning and trying to shut up shop. Plus he's pretty damn good

Agree with both those points but the focus was on when we're drawing or losing, of course Saiss is a good utility player, and Cutrone has poacher characteristics that it'll be interesting to see assimilated into the way we play, but last year we brought in first team quality in Patricio, Moutinho, Jonny and Jimenez, and I'm not as sure as others that Valleja and Cutrone are in the same bracket. I could be wrong!

I'm not overly bothered by 'missing out' on Dias. We're a solid defensive unit and Vallejo will help improve that. An offensive-minded midfielder is far more important in helping us make further improvements and I'll be mildly disappointed if that's not addressed, although that's balanced out somewhat by Cutrone being a better option than I'd thought we'd be able to attract as competition for Diogo and Raul.

Spiers says the club sees Neto as a 10
If people go and watch his highlights video again, is seems clear he is pretty decent option as wingback cover for Doc (if not a long term replacement).

It's probably worthwhile to compare our outgoings to our rivals too.

Everton's transfer balance is -£16.5m
West Ham's transfer balance is -£20.3m
Leicester's transfer balance is £2m
Wolves' transfer balance is -£73.2m

Yes, they've spent more money than we have, but they've had major, eight-figure outgoings. Apart from the loan fees for Costa and Cav, our biggest sale this summer has been Hause to the Villa.

Maybe Spiers is not entirely correct
330482c349e0cfdfb56080a9e267cf3d.jpg

If people go and watch his highlights video again, is seems clear he is pretty decent option as wingback cover for Doc (if not a long term replacement).

If there's any truth to the links to Bernardeschi, I'd imagine he'd be played there.

If Spiers was being used to smoke out some movement in the market, it's working- credible links to Lemina, Rugani and Soubaré since he posted it!

Sais is very useful in other circumstances as in injuries (he can cover a lot of postions. with a bit of swapping around. Bennett or any of the midfield)

Also when we're winning and trying to shut up shop. Plus he's pretty damn good

Always loved Saiss. Prone to dodgy moments but when he's good, he's really good for the team

Always loved Saiss. Prone to dodgy moments but when he's good, he's really good for the team

No matter what, he'll always be a hero for the way he won the free kick against Brizzle that led to Bennett's winner.

Wow what has gone on on this thread.

“Why haven’t we just paid for Dias” - because we were never probably in for him and he was never going to come..

“Disappointed if this is the end of our business” - based on what? Spiers? He has got nothing right this window. Had no idea about any of our incomings either.

“Why have we spent all this money on two Portuguese kids and no one else.” - literally ignore this transfer. If they end of being world beaters then great. But they won’t affect our other business

Back