• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

If people go and watch his highlights video again, is seems clear he is pretty decent option as wingback cover for Doc (if not a long term replacement).

Not a chance if we are just basing it on that highlights video.

Not a chance if we are just basing it on that highlights video.

Exactly. Traore there is bad enough but at least he’s got some physicality.

Not sure how a small tricky forward is going to be turned into a WB

It's probably worthwhile to compare our outgoings to our rivals too.

Everton's transfer balance is -£16.5m
West Ham's transfer balance is -£20.3m
Leicester's transfer balance is £2m
Wolves' transfer balance is -£73.2m

Yes, they've spent more money than we have, but they've had major, eight-figure outgoings. Apart from the loan fees for Costa and Cav, our biggest sale this summer has been Hause to the Villa.

In addition, if you look at the teams above us, they've had to spend exorbitant amounts on players to improve their first XIs (Rodri, Pepe, Maguire, Ndombele are all north of £50m apiece, far as I recall)

There's a decent chance we just don't have *that* level of money yet, as a club - Fosun could probably throw it at us but FFP etc, and they probably don't want to single-handedly keep funding us. We're at a financial disadvantage trying to compete against those teams when it comes to the revenue the club generates (i.e. ticket & merch sales, etc) - part of why we went to China, after all. And part of why Fosun want the stadium expanding.

Until we're at the level when we've been pulling in the kind of money we did last year on the regular then I'd guess the only way we'll have blockbuster signings is through sales. Next summer might be interesting as Costa will bring in £15m or so and Cav possibly will go for a few ££ as well.

Costa won't bring in 15m if he only ever plays 20 minutes at a time for Leeds.

I'm not overly bothered by 'missing out' on Dias. We're a solid defensive unit and Vallejo will help improve that. An offensive-minded midfielder is far more important in helping us make further improvements and I'll be mildly disappointed if that's not addressed, although that's balanced out somewhat by Cutrone being a better option than I'd thought we'd be able to attract as competition for Diogo and Raul.
Yeah absolutely this. Dias was a "cherry on top" option.

I'd still love Olmo, and I like the look of Sanson. That one has gone dead it seems though.

Yes he will. It's a done deal. Cav isn't

Aye, didn't realize Costa's was with an obligation to buy. 15m is the reported figure, then? We've fleeced them on that, IMO.

I’m fairly pleased even if we don’t get anyone else. We have more cover than we did, potentially upgraded one of our centre backs and brought in a quality striker. We potentially have MGW, Vinagre, Traore and Cutrone who can come off the bench and make a difference and we have an established very good first 11.

Aye, didn't realize Costa's was with an obligation to buy. 15m is the reported figure, then? We've fleeced them on that, IMO.
I would imagine the fee will be more with promotion, but not based on Costa's performance

The disappointment for me is that we don’t seemed to have addressed the issue we have when teams sit deep against us.

That could be Traore as an actual winger and Cutrone in the box.

Agreed. We will have to commit more players forward in those situations - but I think Cutrone will help us to be more clinical, there were games where we didn't take key chances against the 'lower' teams.

Cutrone makes very different runs to Raul and Jota. He'll give us a lot more threat in the box.

It's generally not a problem of breaking down defensive teams. With the odd exception, we normally create quite a lot. Our finishing/final ball can be very hit and miss though.

I think this is a case of seeing whether the clubs of the seven or so players we're interested in will drop their prices/accept a staggered payment deal/take a loan to buy.

I still think we’ll get at least one more.

My guess. Benfica want the £56m in one go and we can't do that and want it spread over 3 or 4 years. Piss easy to spend money when you are not controlling the budgets. Benfica hold all the cards on that one as they don't have to sell.
It's exactly this. Everything I've read suggests release fees have to paid in one go. Even if he is worth that, Fosun are too shrewd an investment company to want to risk all that capital in one massive payment. Obviously they tried to stagger the fee with Benfica, but they hold all the cards, are currently flush with money, and are looking for any way possible they can keep the player for another season.

It's exactly this. Everything I've read suggests release fees have to paid in one go. Even if he is worth that, Fosun are too shrewd an investment company to want to risk all that capital in one massive payment. Obviously they tried to stagger the fee with Benfica, but they hold all the cards, are currently flush with money, and are looking for any way possible they can keep the player for another season.

If it's similar to Spain, which I heard discussed on 606, then this is true yes. The fee is actually transferred in full to the player and the players agent. Who then have to go to the Spanish FA in person to transfer the money to them, to trigger the release from the contract. The FA then check the player is happy with the deal (which I presume is a legality) and then once the registration is moved they move the money on to the club.

It's probably worthwhile to compare our outgoings to our rivals too.

Everton's transfer balance is -£16.5m
West Ham's transfer balance is -£20.3m
Leicester's transfer balance is £2m
Wolves' transfer balance is -£73.2m

Yes, they've spent more money than we have, but they've had major, eight-figure outgoings. Apart from the loan fees for Costa and Cav, our biggest sale this summer has been Hause to the Villa.

I thought this was interesting so looked into it.

Everton in - Kean, Gbamin, Delph plus Gomes who was on loan. Out Gueye, Lookman, Vlasic.
West Ham in - Haller, Fornals. out - Arnautovic, Obiang
Leicester in - Pérez, Justin, plus Tielemans from loan. Out - Maguire
Wolves in - Cutrone, Vallejo, Neto, Jordao, plus Jiminez and Dendoncker from loan. Out - Hause, Costa and Cavaleiro.

Everton and West Ham and us are stronger, though not ridiculously - and Leicester are probably weaker.

Back