• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United bulid up

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obviously confusing you as well.

We struggled just as badly away from home last week as we did at home this week. So obviously it's not just at home. If we don't play our passing possession game like we can, then we inevitably struggle going forwards. No matter which ground we play at, Molineux or any other.

But we still won both. So at least results aren't suffering even if we are below our best.

We have shown this year that we can win without playing g well. Its a good trait especially as we are a work in progress. We will come u stuck. Someone will dick us. It won't be sheff UTd though

Cardiff did a job on us, Millwall nearly nicked a late equaliser, Bristol City scored three and probably felt they should have won. It took extra time for us to despatch Bristol Rovers, and it took a last gasp goal to beat Barnsley. In my opinion that would suggest that we do find it difficult at Molineux. Away from home is different, teams have to show a little more adventure.

You really are getting tiresome with this stuff.

Cardiff did a job on us - Yes, you are correct. They did, and I suspect we will lose again at home this season to similar tactics. Many teams will try these tactics and every so often they will work.
Millwall nearly nicked a late equaliser - But they didn't, we kept a clean sheet (one of 7 this season) so irrelevant point. There won't be many, if any, games this season where we limit teams to no chances.
Bristol City scored 3 and felt they should have won - Not if you watched the game. We dominated probably 70-80% of the game and on another day we would have scored 5 or 6. 2 of their goals were down to our poor defensive work at a corner, and a soft-ish penalty. They created nothing else.
Bristol Rovers - We changed 8 players in that side, a teenage RWB making his debut, a central striker making his first appearance for about 18 months, and a few players with maybe 1 or 2 appearances under their belt this season. This game wasn't a priority, and at no point did I feel we would lose. Their best spell of pressure came when we had taken the lead.

FrankMunro-371 said:
And we need to get used to teams shutting up shop because I imagine most will do that when they come to Molineux

Realised this now have we? Numerous people were saying this to you last night which you chose to ignore, now it's your thoughts on the situation. You really are on a wind-up

It is true that our style is more suited to playing on the break and therefore I expect more of our exciting performances to be away from Molineux. I also think at home the fans and players are going to have to be patient. Barnsley's plan was to close our centre halves and centre midfielders quickly, preventing us from playing out a job they did effectively with only Miranda looking unaffected by this. Teams however are going to tire, Nuno clearly has faith that carrying on with the same formation with personnel tweaks will eventually come good and on Saturday that was the case. The subs he made won us the game. Rather than taking off Cav and Saiss, I would have subbed Coady and Bonatini and gone 4411 with Bright behind Cav, but what Nuno did worked, so difficult to criticise even though I still think we'll see games where we don't get a winner and don't change style.

As for Wednesday, I'm off to this my first away game of the season. Utd will have gained a lot of confidence from yesterday, but it here also could be a touch of after the Lord Mayor's show as well. The key for me will be wide, if we can get our wider forwards pushing on to their wider central halves I think we'll find some success

I'd give Neves a rest - he looks jaded.

N'Diaye & Saiss to start for me.
Douglas in at LWB.
Bright will probably come in to the front three alongside Bonatini & Jota.

The rest picks itself (providing the lads at the back aren't knackered after a full 120 minutes midweek and 90 minutes at the weekend).

I'd give Neves a rest - he looks jaded.

N'Diaye & Saiss to start for me.
Douglas in at LWB.
Bright will probably come in to the front three alongside Bonatini & Jota.

The rest picks itself (providing the lads at the back aren't knackered after a full 120 minutes midweek and 90 minutes at the weekend).

I'd agree with that.

Hopefully we can give Costa some game time off too.

Never had just had a child, maybe the lack of sleep is getting to him?!

I previously thought we didn't have enough going forward but I've now checked the goals for column and were one behind Leeds who, let's not forget, stubbed Burton 5-0 at home.

It's weird how perception and reality can be two different things

It's completely life changing for him and only a youngster too. Having a kid at 20 is hard enough without being a professional footballer too

Also it's great that people still don't understand how physically demanding matches are, especially 3 in a week when they have less recovery time. they tend to be 'football was better in my day' type of people though.

AND he's just had a kid.

How can a player be jaded after 9 games?

Easy really. New league at a quicker tempo than he's used to in a new country that he's just had a newborn baby in. I think that allows him to be jaded to be fair especially when he's only 20.

Plus he played during the International break for Portugal U21's and wasn't a regular for Porto last year

He's also living in a hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back