• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Wed 0 - 1 Wolves: Verdict thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a game that needs over-analysing really. We didn't play fantastic football but we won with a great strike and they never had much of a sniff, especially in the last 15 mins.

Ruddy, Boly and Coady the best players. All the rest had good spells and bad spells. Coady MOTM for me. Never put a foot wrong tonight.

I'm willing to bet Ruddy had the most touches he's ever had in a game tonight. Mainly because we were too slow moving the ball forwards and often played the safe cautious ball.

Easy peasy this football stuff.

Neves MOTM. What a player. Coady not bad either!

Coady MOTM for me - calm, combative and omnipresent.

Pretty much a carbon copy of the Birmingham game. Not great, by our own standards, but good enough.

We've not played especially well the last few but still 7 from 9 as others have said. If this is our rocky patch compare it to, say, Sheff Utd and what they've had happen recently. Being disappointed with not winning well enough is a blessing, let's not lose sight of that.

Not great but we rarely looked likely to concede. Those little through balls just aren't coming off going forward at the moment so we look sloppy in attack. Excellent defence and thankfully Bennett played well 2Nd half and gave up his ridiculous and apparently 1 sided battle with Rhodes.

I thought we played really poorly, lucky to win even, nonetheless, 3 points in the bag after a tricky away game on paper. How Reach missed that chance early on I'll never know!

We've been off for 3 games but 7 from 9 is outstanding. Coady and Neves outstanding, the rest will be better on our day.

Great to be top.

Boly, Coady, Neves and Saiss all very good. Cav worked very hard but not everything came off for him. Costa did his job well.

Wednesday looked much better than blues I thought but it was caveman football when they bought those two lumps on.

We are having our 'blip' whilst still getting 7 points from 9

Not great, but we have the class to produce one moment during a game & don't look like giving much up at the other end

Neves goal was Premier league level - so often you see those blasted over the crossbar. This one was passed into the corner of the net with the keeper having no chance to get to it

Neves is class MOTM for me whole defence excellent if only Bennetts distribution was a bit better he was tremendous defensively tonight. As others have said not a great performance the front 3 frustrating only glimpses of their reap quality. Chuffed with the 3 points we are efficient if nothing else.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Since the disappointment of the defeat against QPR on the 31st October, we've conceded just 2 goals in the last 8 games.

We are so solid at the back. In the last 5 games the only real chance that was created by our opponents I can remember is the Leeds goal.

Coady MOTM for me. What a calm, assured performance he put in. 12 months ago I would never have imagined I'd be writing that.

We haven't played to our potential attacking wise, but again we never looked in danger. This is a special side we are watching this season.

We've been off for 3 games but 7 from 9 is outstanding. Coady and Neves outstanding, the rest will be better on our day.

Great to be top.

Coady was my MOTM, Neves played well but for me Coady in his role tonight was magnificent. He swept up when necessary and came out of defence to harness any danger when he saw it. I had been underwhelmed with him prior to this season but he really is excelling in that role. He can pass, read the game and tackle and I believe he's still only 24? Magnificent.

Last edited:
Not seen any of the game, only followed it on here but are the comments of 'played poorly' a bit over the top? perhaps not as good as previously but controlling the game? BBC stats show even possession with us having 9 shots compared to 5 for Owls with both only having one on target.....I realize stats don't tell the whole story

defensive shape is amazing. Going forward we were fecking awful, far too far away from each other, too much space in midfield, passing was terrible.

Still - excellent result, without playing well - I’m not going to complain too much at the moment.

Not seen any of the game, only followed it on here but are the comments of 'played poorly' a bit over the top? perhaps not as good as previously but controlling the game? BBC stats show even possession with us having 9 shots compared to 5 for Owls with both only having one on target.....I realize stats don't tell the whole story

It was a below-par performance, and we didn't control the game.

It's hard to he critical when we've won but for the quality of players we've got we looked so disjointed.

Our defence is brilliant but we've got to start getting better going forward and looking sharper and crisper with our passing.

Wednesday pressed us high up the pitch and played with a high line. We need to work out how to play against that, maybe Bonatini drops deeper and have Jota and Cav breaking. Bonatini isn't quick enough to get in behind, Cav needs to stay inside though!

Sycophantia - most of those shots were miles away from goal, we were massively disjointed going forwards, one shot on target was a good representation tonight.

Back