• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

And so it starts, round two.
SNP deputy already crapping on about Scottish independence happening when not if.
The remain coalition saying this gives a mandate to stay
Brexit party threatening chaos if we don't leave by October 31.

Tories and Labour thrashed and deservedly so.

But no ones changed that much have they? I started 4 years ago hoping they didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Soft brexit was my preference. No one could deliver that. It is, still, an absolute mess. Corbyn needs to go and go now. The country stands zero hope with Boris or Gove and labour won't win a GE with Corbyn.

We'll be stuck in this purgatory until we leave or people get bored of it and forget about it

So pro 2nd referendum parties poll around 40% and pro Brexit parties around 35% yet people will still say that the results mean that the country wants Brexit.

In reality about half the country wants Brexit and half the country doesn't which is where we were 3 years ago and where we will probably continue to be. It's why the referendum was such a terrible idea.

John McDonnell:

Can’t hide from hit we took last night.Bringing people together when there’s such a divide was never going to be easy. Now we face prospect of Brexiteer extremist as Tory leader & threat of no deal, we must unite our party & country by taking issue back to people in a public vote

So pro 2nd referendum parties poll around 40% and pro Brexit parties around 35% yet people will still say that the results mean that the country wants Brexit.

In reality about half the country wants Brexit and half the country doesn't which is where we were 3 years ago and where we will probably continue to be. It's why the referendum was such a terrible idea.

Which is why a second referendum won’t solve anything. The first one was wrong, the second one just piles more of the same shit on.

What we need is a government with a working and stable majority who can make a political decision and get it done...and then take responsibility, be it blame or plaudits, for that decision. But I don’t think that can happen while Labour and Conservative continue to be pro-Brexit. Labour need to look inwards, refer it to their members and they would almost certainly become a remain Party. A General Election would then give people a choice and then winner takes all.

Regardless of the context of these EU elections, they were national elections and a Labour party leader should not survive polling 15%. The current policy has failed where it matters, at the ballot box.

I don't get the second vote thing at all. It's just Remainers thinking one vote will magic the last 3 years away.

Clearly the public are not up for compromise on Brexit so it's time to pick a side. I would much prefer Labour to back Revoke now as opposed to a disingenuous and potentially calamitous second referendum.

The brexit party got half as many votes in Scotland as the SNP, that’s ridiculous... I thought they’d get about 5% or something, not 20%

Which is why a second referendum won’t solve anything. The first one was wrong, the second one just piles more of the same shit on.

What we need is a government with a working and stable majority who can make a political decision and get it done...and then take responsibility, be it blame or plaudits, for that decision. But I don’t think that can happen while Labour and Conservative continue to be pro-Brexit. Labour need to look inwards, refer it to their members and they would almost certainly become a remain Party. A General Election would then give people a choice and then winner takes all.

Regardless of the context of these EU elections, they were national elections and a Labour party leader should not survive polling 15%. The current policy has failed where it matters, at the ballot box.

Completely agree with all of that. The problem the Conservative party has is that even if they won a general election, a proportion of their MP’s still wouldn’t vote for brexit. Unless Boris or Raab get in and the likes of Hammond support a vote of no confidence in the government, lose the whip, and can be deselected of course. The likelihood of another election is continued stalemate in my view.

The brexit party got half as many votes in Scotland as the SNP, that’s ridiculous... I thought they’d get about 5% or something, not 20%
Not really 38% of Scotland voted to leave, so it's not much of a stretch to see a large proportion of them voting for the Brexit Party in the election for a Parliament they don't believe we should be in.

Completely agree with all of that. The problem the Conservative party has is that even if they won a general election, a proportion of their MP’s still wouldn’t vote for brexit. Unless Boris or Raab get in and the likes of Hammond support a vote of no confidence in the government, lose the whip, and can be deselected of course. The likelihood of another election is continued stalemate in my view.
If they ran on a platform of No Deal, they'd get it through as long as they had a Parliamentary majority, not many would vote against it if they had a undeniable mandate for it. Moderates would just not be in the cabinet, similar to the situation on the other side of the House

It would be a further indication of the intense polarisation of UK politics.

That is a large concern for me. Previously we have seen elections won by claiming votes in the margins of the centre ground. That just doesn't seem to be the case any more, with Labour leaning further left, and the extreme right wing of the Conservative party vying for control of that side.

Brexit is a neoliberal's wet dream.

Labour are happy to let it sail through because ra people.

Fuck Labour.

Not really 38% of Scotland voted to leave, so it's not much of a stretch to see a large proportion of them voting for the Brexit Party in the election for a Parliament they don't believe we should be in.

I didn’t realise it was that high tbh

Brexit is a neoliberal's wet dream.

Labour are happy to let it sail through because ra people.

Fuck Labour.

The EU is a neoliberal’s wet dream. This is an organisation that has forced austerity on member countries, curtails state intervention and prioritises individual rights over collective rights which means “justice” is often only available to the few who can afford it. Brexit is a libertarian’s wet dream, Brexit is our version of the Tea Party in the US.

If they ran on a platform of No Deal, they'd get it through as long as they had a Parliamentary majority, not many would vote against it if they had a undeniable mandate for it. Moderates would just not be in the cabinet, similar to the situation on the other side of the House

In a GE, if the Tories went with a manifesto pledge of no deal they would destroy any reason to vote for the Brexit Party. If Labour go on a remain manifesto there would either be a clear Brexit majority in parliament consisting of the Tories and their Ulster friends or a coalition of Remain Parties that would revoke Article 50 and take it from there. If an election along those lines couldn’t produce a workable majority to enact one or the other I have no idea what would happen.

Why would an election happen?

There's just no appetite for it and Corbyn would lose anyway as he's a terrible leader just hitting his 70th year.

Back