• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

The EU have fixed minimum rights for gig economy workers, and also implemented europe wide protection for whistle-blowers.

still blue passports trumps that, what?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-donald-tusk-eu-remain-second-referendum-theresa-may-deal-a8871921.html

Kinda strange that you look at whats going on in the states, and yet I'm pinning some of my hopes on a different Donald...
Speaking in the European Parliament on Tuesday Donald Tusk said Europe and Britain needed “dreams and dreamers” to keep the idea of a united Europe alive and the UK in the EU.

“During the European Council one of the leaders warned us not to be dreamers and that we shouldn’t think that Brexit can be reversed,” Mr Tusk told MEPs in Strasbourg.

“I didn’t respond at the time. But today in front of you I would like to say at this rather difficult moment in our history, that we need the dreamers and dreams. We cannot give into fatalism. At least, I will not stop dreaming about a better and united Europe.”

Mr Tusk says he accepts the result of the EU referendum and that the decision on whether to leave is for the British people; but he has made no secret of the fact he would rather see the UK stay in the bloc.

The EU have fixed minimum rights for gig economy workers, and also implemented europe wide protection for whistle-blowers.

still blue passports trumps that, what?

So why are so many people in the UK employed on zero-hour contracts?

they were hired on such contracts before the EU set up such safeguards.

zero hour is beneficial to workers in an extreme minority of cases. In the majority, the benefit is employer only. Many employers saw this as an opportunity to rip off its work force. Save on holiday pay, sick pay and numerous other aspects.

they were hired on such contracts before the EU set up such safeguards.

zero hour is beneficial to workers in an extreme minority of cases. In the majority, the benefit is employer only. Many employers saw this as an opportunity to rip off its work force. Save on holiday pay, sick pay and numerous other aspects.

I agree. I just do not feel the EU has done enough. I'm not completely dismissive of centralisation but I feel a change in working conditions is best served in Westminster. I am not a big fan of corporate power.

So why are so many people in the UK employed on zero-hour contracts?

I have a number on zero hour contracts. Many of my team have multiple jobs and like it for flexibility. I also pay 14.5% over the hourly rate to pay the holiday. None exceed the working time directive. With regard to flexibility we all win. It works for us.

I agree. I just do not feel the EU has done enough. I'm not completely dismissive of centralisation but I feel a change in working conditions is best served in Westminster. I am not a big fan of corporate power.

yeah, i recall you saying brexit would be a big win against the corporates. how's that going? :)

There are many cases like yours where zero hours work for both sides. What needs to be eliminated is when such contracts are used in an exploitative fashion. There are employers out there who are considerable less scrupulous than you are Cyber, which is sad.

I have a number on zero hour contracts. Many of my team have multiple jobs and like it for flexibility. I also pay 14.5% over the hourly rate to pay the holiday. None exceed the working time directive. With regard to flexibility we all win. It works for us.

Zero hour contracts are entitled to holiday pay in the same as normal contracts, so why pay 14.5% over the hourly rate?

It's beneficial for companies to be subsidised by the taxpayer. Give them less hours and they apply for universal credit. Thankfully this country has an ever rising minimum wage (which they managed to legislate without the EU).

It's beneficial for companies to be subsidised by the taxpayer. Give them less hours and they apply for universal credit. Thankfully this country has an ever rising minimum wage (which they managed to legislate without the EU).

No that doesnt really happen for me here. My team have a number of jobs each and all manage about 30 hours a week between those jobs ( which is all they want) working in different locations. They like the variety. To make it easier I pay them for their holiday. They then just say " not available that week boss" a month or two in advance. The zero hours fill the auxiliary shift to double up so there is that flexibility and are rarely if ever without the cover in that role. I can always fill in in an emergency and am happy to. It is a rare example of zero hours working for both the employer and employee as I agree , normally it doesnt.

No that doesnt really happen for me here. My team have a number of jobs each and all manage about 30 hours a week between those jobs ( which is all they want) working in different locations. They like the variety. To make it easier I pay them for their holiday. They then just say " not available that week boss" a month or two in advance. The zero hours fill the auxiliary shift to double up so there is that flexibility and are rarely if ever without the cover in that role. I can always fill in in an emergency and am happy to. It is a rare example of zero hours working for both the employer and employee as I agree , normally it doesnt.

Depends how much you pay them an hour doesn't it?

Not good if you are earning minimum wage though like at places such as Sports Direct etc.

as I say, there are times when they can work and I hope that mine is one that is fair. I agree others take the piss a bit.

yeah, i recall you saying brexit would be a big win against the corporates. how's that going? :)

I hear you. To be fair when referendums and elections don't tend to count for much I would be more interested in how the democratic process works or if in fact whether a vote actually means that's much. I'm increasingly ambivalent because I'm not entirely sure the electorate actually has the power to change anything. We'll stay in the EU get another Blairite party, maybe another war and the machine will keep rolling on. All very sad particularly the sheer hate that resonates.

I hear you. To be fair when referendums and elections don't tend to count for much I would be more interested in how the democratic process works or if in fact whether a vote actually means that's much. I'm increasingly ambivalent because I'm not entirely sure the electorate actually has the power to change anything. We'll stay in the EU get another Blairite party, maybe another war and the machine will keep rolling on. All very sad particularly the sheer hate that resonates.

1% of the worlds population control over 50% of the worlds wealth. In a two horse race the money always wins.

as I say, there are times when they can work and I hope that mine is one that is fair. I agree others take the piss a bit.

And the EU club don't appear to care that much. People are just units of labour factored in to drive profits.

Back