• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

Since around 7pm yesterday my brain gave up trying to understand this anymore. None of us can even guess what will happen next (not even the woman in charge of this shitstorm has a clue so how can we)

Your not alone, last night saw an Swedish ex-prime minister on tv asked if he understood what was going on in the HoC with all the votes and his answer was to paraphrase "have got a fucking clue anymore"

What it shows is Parliament has a high percentage of self serving twats, whose commitment is to their careers, bank balances and ideology over the good of the country. No surprise, but in the last week has laid this bare.

Last edited:
Jon Snow got to say 'You know nothing' which made me smile.

giphy.gif

Lolz -jon Snow called it right. Short of calling it a clusterfuck!

What it shows is Parliament has a high percentage of self serving twats, whose commitment is to their careers, bank balances and ideology over the good of the country. No surprise, but in the last week has laid this bare.

as you imply, always has been the case. i'd say what it shows more is that you have a political system that dis-incentivises compromise, which is backed up by both the media and the population in general considering it a weakness.

we've had 2 political parties that can command a majority and we don't generally get hung parliaments. it creates an "us" or "them" on both sides to the extent that, even if individually you don't participate in that tomfoolery you'll end up getting labelled as a "them" by one cunt or another. so the system naturally encourages division which acts as an obstacle to compromise. it's not in the interests of either of those parties to change the system, because the current one gives one or the other a better than 50% chance of being in power. even better for them, they may only need to hit 36% of voters to get that, at which point they will claim the country has given them a mandate to do whatever they like.

so not only is it no surprise they struggle to compromise, it is no surprise when many of them point to the cause as being the lack of command of a majority in the house, rather than their own inadequacies. it's mirrored by the public, "x said this and then did that, i'll never vote for them again" bollocks. i'm afraid, that tends to happen in life in general.

as you imply, always has been the case. i'd say what it shows more is that you have a political system that dis-incentivises compromise, which is backed up by both the media and the population in general considering it a weakness.

we've had 2 political parties that can command a majority and we don't generally get hung parliaments. it creates an "us" or "them" on both sides to the extent that, even if individually you don't participate in that tomfoolery you'll end up getting labelled as a "them" by one cunt or another. so the system naturally encourages division which acts as an obstacle to compromise. it's not in the interests of either of those parties to change the system, because the current one gives one or the other a better than 50% chance of being in power. even better for them, they may only need to hit 36% of voters to get that, at which point they will claim the country has given them a mandate to do whatever they like.

so not only is it no surprise they struggle to compromise, it is no surprise when many of them point to the cause as being the lack of command of a majority in the house, rather than their own inadequacies. it's mirrored by the public, "x said this and then did that, i'll never vote for them again" bollocks. i'm afraid, that tends to happen in life in general.

should have PR, as I have said before plenty of times. Its the only fair way and encourages compromise.

We had a legally binding referendum on changing the voting system. How did that go? Should we have a second vote on PR even though the will of the people doesn't desire it?

We had a legally binding referendum on changing the voting system. How did that go? Should we have a second vote on PR even though the will of the people doesn't desire it?

If you think that abomination was on PR it wasnt. It was a fudge and you know it. Thats why they had to call it the "alternative vote". British politics is scared of 2 things. Proportional representation and announcing higher taxes.

It like voting for Mays deal or No deal and hoping you remainers dont create.

Farage - People of Britian, join me to protest the way Brexit has been handled by walking from Sunderland to London. Time to rise up and fight against the elite....ah good you are all here so lets get this walk started but just to advise I won't be doing all this walk with you! Christ no. I am going to walk a bit so the BBC and Sky can film me here then I will hop in my private jet and meet you all in 14 days, lets say, around a mile from Westminster to finish the epic journey with you

Emilio Casalicchio
‏Verified account @e_casalicchio
NEW EXCLUSIVE: Jeremy Corbyn may not back bid for second EU referendum until after Brexit deal agreed

Eh! How would that work Jezzer?

He wants to have the referendum on the deal or stay in.

Trouble is that doesn't work as if it is accepted then Article 50 kicks in with full effect and it happens, as far as I can see.

Corbyn is playing this hand very strangely indeed. I feel as a Remainer that I am actually relying on Rees-Prick preventing the deal rather than the opposition. Not comfortable, especially as the signs are that the DUP are being bribed into supporting T-Bag.

He wants to have the referendum on the deal or stay in.

Trouble is that doesn't work as if it is accepted then Article 50 kicks in with full effect and it happens, as far as I can see.

Corbyn is playing this hand very strangely indeed. I feel as a Remainer that I am actually relying on Rees-Prick preventing the deal rather than the opposition. Not comfortable, especially as the signs are that the DUP are being bribed into supporting T-Bag.

A second referendum can only happen if Parliament votes for it, which they won’t at the moment. Even the People’s Vote and Independent Group of MPs know this which is why they aren’t pushing for it too hard in Parliament at the moment.

There is little point Labour putting a motion for a second referendum down if they know it is going to be defeated. The Labour Party Policy is still to leave the EU as per the conference resolution;

Should Parliament vote down a Tory Brexit deal or the talks end in no-deal, Conference believes this would constitute a loss of confidence in the Government. In these circumstances, the best outcome for the country is an immediate General Election that can sweep the Tories from power.

If we cannot get a general election Labour must support all options remaining on the table, including campaigning for a public vote. If the Government is confident in negotiating a deal that working people, our economy and communities will benefit from they should not be afraid to put that deal to the public.

The conference resolution does not commit the Labour Party to “all options” until either a deal is voted down or there is no deal and neither of these scenarios currently exist while the PM keeps bringing back the deal. The resolution does enable the Labour Party to seek an alternative deal, which is currently being done with backbench MPs.

Corbyn is doing what he is mandated to do by members but this has been twisted by his opponents who have concentrated on only one element of the mandate that has not yet kicked in.

Things move quickly in politics. Labour are supporting this amendment.
627e0de4733973cc62275280ee1731b0.jpg

Things move quickly in politics. Labour are supporting this amendment.
627e0de4733973cc62275280ee1731b0.jpg

Which is consistent with the final sentence of the conference resolution. But likely this amendment, if accepted, will be defeated which will then mean Labour will again oppose the withdrawal agreement.

Back