• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

It means ALL tariffs will be cut by 80 to 90%, not that there will be a cut on 80 to 90% of tariffs. So agriculture is included by definition.

Quite possibly the worst economic idea in quite some time.

I think it could mean either. Which is probably their plan, leave it suitably vague as it's a stupid fucking idea.

Edit, actually the sky article says this:

According to government sources the 10-20% of more sensitive items which will retain their protection includes cars, beef, lamb, dairy and some lines of textiles.

Yeah I agree, although agriculture needs to be sustainable anyway.

It conveniently doesn’t say which 80-90%, which probably wouldn’t include agriculture.
Why does agriculture need to be sustainable?

Might I suggest speaking to the supermarkets who low ball the price they want to pay then, as that is the root cause. Of course the cost in the supermarkets to the consumer rises but at least no subsidy right. Also the subsidy encourages the less economically sound agricultural products that are still popular to be made.

Might I suggest speaking to the supermarkets who low ball the price they want to pay then, as that is the root cause. Of course the cost in the supermarkets to the consumer rises but at least no subsidy right. Also the subsidy encourages the less economically sound agricultural products that are still popular to be made.

So what you are saying is we are subsidising supermarkets. Even better.

No we are subsidising farmers because supermarkets low ball them as their costs per acre are higher than imports even with tariffs. Unless you can extend the islands not a simple way round that.

So? What is the problem with subsidising the agricultural industry?

Why farming over any other industry?

Look at the uproar over banking bailouts, yet farmer has had bailouts for years.

You obviously think it’s okay, I obviously don’t think it’s a good use of tax payers money.

Why farming over any other industry?

Look at the uproar over banking bailouts, yet farmer has had bailouts for years.

You obviously think it’s okay, I obviously don’t think it’s a good use of tax payers money.
There are environmental benefits from subsidy. Not everything is about P&L.

Just had an email from our car insurer that after March 29th we'll need a green card as proof of insurance if we want to take the car into the EU. It'll take 14 days to get one. Now, there's no cost (upfront anyway - I'm sure the additional admin cost will find its way into premiums eventually) and it's just a small inconvenience, but indicative of the many small inconveniences we can expect, I think. It'll all add up and make life just that little bit more complicated and annoying.
Not to mention the fact that Brexit was supposed to *reduce* red tape.

Just had an email from our car insurer that after March 29th we'll need a green card as proof of insurance if we want to take the car into the EU. It'll take 14 days to get one. Now, there's no cost (upfront anyway - I'm sure the additional admin cost will find its way into premiums eventually) and it's just a small inconvenience, but indicative of the many small inconveniences we can expect, I think. It'll all add up and make life just that little bit more complicated and annoying.

I think initially its a fair point. That and on flights some auto visa thing that was similar to those filled out about 20 years ago. I am hopeful that come 1st May things will start to settle down with some practical outcomes as those involved o[perationally and tactically with brexit get involved and help to acheive something the strategists have singularly failed to do. At a practical level the majoruty of people do tend to play the hand they are dealt and quickly come up with good practice and effective legal shortcuts. I can see similar happening with this.

We have been advised this side of the border that we will need one as well and will be the small sum of €20 when one is issued.

Apparently have already printed off 400,000 in Ireland ready for use.

I think initially its a fair point. That and on flights some auto visa thing that was similar to those filled out about 20 years ago. I am hopeful that come 1st May things will start to settle down with some practical outcomes as those involved o[perationally and tactically with brexit get involved and help to acheive something the strategists have singularly failed to do. At a practical level the majoruty of people do tend to play the hand they are dealt and quickly come up with good practice and effective legal shortcuts. I can see similar happening with this.
So the best case scenario is that thibgs might not be worse?

Crack out the bunting.

So the best case scenario is that thibgs might not be worse?

Crack out the bunting.

And instead of literally getting on a plane and flying anywhere you want in the EU, without hindrance, you'll now have to fill out forms and face visa checks, no doubt adding substantial queuing time at airports. Fucking YAY.

Yeah, it's not the sky falling in, but my prediction in the run up to all of this was that over time everything would become just that little bit more shit, rather than a massive apocalypse. We're just going to be in a permanent state of negotiation with the rest of world, having to haggle over every little thing, finding workarounds for millions of bits of minor shite like this. And for what? Some illusory notion of sovereignty and control.

And instead of literally getting on a plane and flying anywhere you want in the EU, without hindrance, you'll now have to fill out forms and face visa checks, no doubt adding substantial queuing time at airports. Fucking YAY.

No we will simply go through the "non-eu" portal at airports like millions of other passengers who travel from outside the EU to inside the EU, with minimal additional delay, paperwork or imbuggerance. There will not be a new set of rules for the UK.

No we will simply go through the "non-eu" portal at airports like millions of other passengers who travel from outside the EU to inside the EU, with minimal additional delay, paperwork or imbuggerance. There will not be a new set of rules for the UK.

I put up a link earlier in the thread of the visa requirements for non-EU visitors to the EU. Unless they have a specific agreement on visas, the standard is a three month process. Just because you see them at airports in the other queue, doesn't mean they haven't had massive ballache getting their visas. And if we leave with no deal, we will be in the same position as those countries with no visa agreements so there will be a three-month visa application process to go through.
There *might* be some special arrangement made for us, but what in the EU's stance so far has convinced you that they want to give us special treatment after we leave.

I put up a link earlier in the thread of the visa requirements for non-EU visitors to the EU. Unless they have a specific agreement on visas, the standard is a three month process. Just because you see them at airports in the other queue, doesn't mean they haven't had massive ballache getting their visas. And if we leave with no deal, we will be in the same position as those countries with no visa agreements so there will be a three-month visa application process to go through.
There *might* be some special arrangement made for us, but what in the EU's stance so far has convinced you that they want to give us special treatment after we leave.

Quid Pro Quo

There were 39.2 million inbound visits to the UK in 2017, 4% more than in 2016. London was the most popular destination in the UK, attracting 51% of all visits. There were 72.8 million outbound visits from the UK, an increase of 3% on 2016.

Back