• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

Daniel Boffey
(@DanielBoffey)
NEW: Michel Barnier has told EU ambasssors that there has been no progress. Brits keep on banging on about time limit and exit mechanism - but we keep on telling them it isn’t going to happen.

Daniel Boffey
(@DanielBoffey)
NEW: Michel Barnier has told EU ambasssors that there has been no progress. Brits keep on banging on about time limit and exit mechanism - but we keep on telling them it isn’t going to happen.

What would be more palatable for T-Bag?

Her deal through with Labour abstaining for a referendum on the result or Cross Party talks to get through some sort of Customs Union through the House?

What would be more palatable for T-Bag?

Her deal through with Labour abstaining for a referendum on the result or Cross Party talks to get through some sort of Customs Union through the House?

I think any deal with Labour would split the party. I think she sees her deal as her big legacy thing. If her deal wins in the referendum she can tell everyone to fuck off and reign supreme. If it loses she resigns but she's already said she's not going to fight the next election anyway.

I think any deal with Labour would split the party. I think she sees her deal as her big legacy thing. If her deal wins in the referendum she can tell everyone to fuck off and reign supreme. If it loses she resigns but she's already said she's not going to fight the next election anyway.

That's a fair summation. I'm baffled that she keeps telling people to vote for a deal that has been rejected by the worst vote ever.

It's amazing she's so belligerent in the face of such objection.

I'd be somewhat surprised if Labour actually went through with this. Doesn't it take their customs union out of the equation (albeit with the possibility of not needing one at all if we remain)?

I'd be somewhat surprised if Labour actually went through with this. Doesn't it take their customs union out of the equation (albeit with the possibility of not needing one at all if we remain)?

It's probably the only way to get a second referendum. It's a risk but you'd fancy Remain v May's deal. Only the Conservatives would be able to campaign for it and the hard brexiteers would be sidelined. I'd be much more worried about no deal v Remain as the British public are bloody minded enough to vote for that. Easy to campaign for too.

Here's a dumb (possibly) question from someone with no legal nous.
the first referendum excluded British citizens overseas. no postal vote, no nothing, so doesn't that make a national referendum, illegal.
I said it was a dumb question.

Ivan Rogers latest:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/04/theresa-may-did-not-understand-eu-when-she-triggered-brexit
He said: “These fantasies of release and liberation – they are fantasies. We are going to be negotiating on everything from aviation to farming for evermore with our biggest neighbour. We cannot live in glorious isolation. Talk to the Swiss and to the Norwegians – they live in a permanent state of negotiation with the EU.”

He also said he was deeply concerned that May had in the negotiations prioritised goods over services “even though it’s a modest proportion of the economy”.

Rogers predicted a huge blame game between the EU and May if she is unable to get an adjusted deal through the Commons, followed by a brutal row over the UK’s requirement to pay its outstanding negotiated payments to the EU.

Toyota say it'll be extremely difficult to continue building cars in the UK if there's a no deal brexit.
BMW says it would consider closing its Cowley factory and build the mini elsewhere in the event of a no deal brexit.
It's all project fear though innit?

Okay

Iain Duncan Smith is a colossal thundercunt.

(not a lie, but saying what I like)

Toyota say it'll be extremely difficult to continue building cars in the UK if there's a no deal brexit.
BMW says it would consider closing its Cowley factory and build the mini elsewhere in the event of a no deal brexit.
It's all project fear though innit?

Your last line is pretty much that. Of course they'd consider every different eventuality if the UK left with a no deal. What surprises me more is that after these companies have done their no deal planning is that we haven't seem more companies dropping the 'considering'.

If there wasn't a no deal Brexit then these companies appear to be going nowhere. That is pretty fucking stark stuff.

No Deal worries European firms as much as it does ours - had text conversation with my Danish Brother in Law recently who is a Director of a Danish furniture manufacturer.

Whilst they export throughout Europe (& elsewhere) a substantial chunk of their business is with the UK. They have already made plans to cut production (& staff) if No Deal occurs as they suspect that the UK market (which is a big part of their overseas trade) will reduce even if temporarily.

Your last line is pretty much that. Of course they'd consider every different eventuality if the UK left with a no deal. What surprises me more is that after these companies have done their no deal planning is that we haven't seem more companies dropping the 'considering'.
So what's surprising is that there aren't thousands more jobs aren't at risk - is that where we're at now?

I think the point is that any suggestion that these huge companies might up sticks (there's no 'might' about it in other cases) is unbelievably worrying for our economy.

Id guess that big companies will see how difficult it's going to be to export from the UK for a couple of months,if it's seeming to be ok they'll stay,if it's difficult or nigh on impossible they'll go,then we'll see the major job losses,ideally in places that overwhelmingly voted leave,just to teach em a lesson.(does that make me a bad person?)

Breaking: UK will cut 80% to 90% of ALL tariffs on imports if Britain leaves the EU without a deal. Would represent biggest unilateral trade liberalisation in British history. More details on the no-deal tariff plan on @skynews tonight

Excellent, wipes out agriculture at a stroke.

What's the next bit of the masterplan?

Breaking: UK will cut 80% to 90% of ALL tariffs on imports if Britain leaves the EU without a deal. Would represent biggest unilateral trade liberalisation in British history. More details on the no-deal tariff plan on @skynews tonight

May as well close all the farms and manufacturing plants then. That would decimate the economy and the country as a whole.

The ministers would have to leave the country because of the riots that would cause.

Yeah I agree, although agriculture needs to be sustainable anyway.

It conveniently doesn’t say which 80-90%, which probably wouldn’t include agriculture.

Back