• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Rangers

I expect there will be a legal challenge if Rangers are placed anywhere but division three.

Problem with that is time is ticking - clubs have to know what division they're in so they can build a squad appropriately, price tickets at the right level, etc. We're only just over a month away from when the Scottish season kicks off.

It's an unholy fudged mess - either punish Rangers properly and forego the money they generate, or say "This is an unprecedented situation, for the sheer financial well-being of the game it is better in the long run that Rangers stay in the SPL". This is the best of no worlds if it happens.

Problem with that is time is ticking - clubs have to know what division they're in so they can build a squad appropriately, price tickets at the right level, etc. We're only just over a month away from when the Scottish season kicks off.

It's an unholy fudged mess - either punish Rangers properly and forego the money they generate, or say "This is an unprecedented situation, for the sheer financial well-being of the game it is better in the long run that Rangers stay in the SPL". This is the best of no worlds if it happens.

Agreed, it is a right old mess, not helped by the fact that the Scottish football league always admits new members into division three. To change the rules for newco Rangers would require an EGM, which will not happen, so compromise will be the order of the day.

What's the likelihood of this proposal getting the votes it needs? (8 SPL and a majority SFL) Surely the clubs that voted against the newco's SPL application will vote against this as well. Promotion chasing Div1 clubs and money chasing Div 2/3 clubs wont be too happy about it.

The SPL mob will go for this I reckon. Rangers get "punished" and they can crow about "doing the right thing", all in the knowledge that fast forward 12 months, they get their bi-annual paydays back and the Sky deal goes untouched.

The clubs who voted against did so out of fear of a backlash from their own fans. They can't be seen as pandering to the OF when so many ordinary fans are demanding that Rangers get the punishment they deserve. The Caley chairman came out and said that they had actually had letters from fans of other clubs saying that they wouldn't be back to Inverness if they voted for Rangers. There's a very strong anti-Rangers feeling in Scotland at the moment and a desire to see that they don't get any preferential treatment.

True enough, but look at the Motherwell example I posted a few days ago. Rangers made up 18% of their cash gate receipts last season, all on their own. They can afford to be without that money for a year, not three and possibly more.

The other issue in all this is to be affiliated to the SFA, you have to produce accounts for the last three years. Obviously Rangers Newco can't do this so they have to apply as the old club - which would mean Green disclosing who now holds the deeds to Ibrox/Murray Park and who the investors behind his £5.5m purchase of Oldco's assets were. Which he hasn't done yet and again time is ticking. Spartans are rumoured to also be applying for the vacant SFL spot. Tiny tiny club but one which can at least fulfil all the necessary requirements for entry.

Clubs like Motherwell will be okay I think. They'll take a hit, but they're very well run clubs with no delusions as to their size and have learnt from past mistakes. It's Hearts I fear for in the long term, Romanov has no love for Scottish football and should they fail to capitalise and grab the extra European place he could up sticks and leave.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/179520-rangers-in-division-one/

This is the site I use for Scottish Football. Great wee forum, anybody interested in what's going on currently should take a look at what these fans have to say.

Yep, that is a good site. Used it a lot when I was looking into the Gretna situation back in 2008.

The SPL now resorting to blackmail.

If the SFL clubs do not allow Newco into the first division the SPL will create a second tier in which Newco will be placed. SFL 1st Division clubs will be invited to join the second tier, reducing the number of clubs in the SFL and cutting off promotion/relegation between the two organisations.

Unbelievable.

If the SFL clubs do not allow Newco into the first division the SPL will create a second tier in which Newco will be placed. SFL 1st Division clubs will be invited to join the second tier, reducing the number of clubs in the SFL and cutting off promotion/relegation between the two organisations.

Unbelievable.

The Spl are being quite pathetic if thats in the pipeline

Unbelievable.

Hmmmm - and that will of course stand up in a court of law.....

Rangers should dissapear for ever they ae just poison for the scottish game at the moment

Rangers should dissapear for ever they ae just poison for the scottish game at the moment

No, that's just silly. It shouldn't be beyond the authorities to do the right thing. The irony being that most Rangers fans WANT to play in Division Three from next season, they don't want to have their revival facilitated through plain dodgy decisions.

No, that's just silly. It shouldn't be beyond the authorities to do the right thing. The irony being that most Rangers fans WANT to play in Division Three from next season, they don't want to have their revival facilitated through plain dodgy decisions.

At least the rangers fans see sense on this. They need to sort this mess out before Scottish football becomes a total joke

I wish one of the Celtic fans would come on here and give their view on the Rangers situation.

Back