• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Rangers

Whyte gave his reasons for taking over the club as being a lifelong fan and the belief that the club could tap into the global footbal market. The SPL has enjoyed an increase in viewing figures, although it is a drip in a bucket compared to their Southern neighbours, and Whyte obviously had eyes on trying to expand the club's name abroad. Quite how he thought this would happen when promising a quite derisory £25million transfer kitty spread over 5 years is worth asking of course. In short, when you look at his background I don't think you could say his real reasons were any different to a good few others who buy football clubs - ego and stupidity.

Without knowing the fine detail of the contract, can they really do such a thing?
They've signed a contract, that will be legally binding surely? That's the risk you take. A business shouldn't be able to walk away from its contract because it suddenly doesn't like it? Unless they have some bizarre get out clauses?

4 Old Firm games a season in the contract. That's why they did not increase the number of teams

I was discussing this with Deutsch last night. Could the Glasgow cup be reinvigorated to get the 4 old firm games in? It went when third lanark went out of business I believe.

I was discussing this with Deutsch last night. Could the Glasgow cup be reinvigorated to get the 4 old firm games in? It went when third lanark went out of business I believe.

It could be, but then surely Sky would pull the plug on the SPL, and just take the 4 old firm games from the Glasgow cup. Through the SFL, and not the SPL / SFA.

IMHO you would still see

ICT
Hearts
Kilmarnock
Hibs

All in Administration within 6 months, with probably ICT going out of business

Surely that would then just further devalue the SPL as a competition, it would be admitting that the league is second best to the Old Firm games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18577192

Publicly there seems to be a widespread rejection of them re-entering the SPL - I wonder how the voting will go though as it would endanger Scottish football as a whole for them not to be in there, something I'm sure they're all aware off

I really do think they'd loose their automatic CL place if Rangers went out of it...

They already lost it. Rangers lost to Malmo and Maribor last year and didn't qualify for any European competitions, Celtic lost to Sion but got into the Europa League by default when the Swiss club got banned for being dodgy mothers.

If Rangers are forced to start life again in Division 3, then how long will it be before UEFA down grade the Scottish league so that the winner will have to go through the preliminary rounds of the Champions league - there will effectively be a league with no competition for at least 3 years, surely they can't allow an automatic qualifying space to Celtic with a league that weak

It doesnt matter how weak the league is champion league places (and also the europa league) are decided on the success of clubs in European competiton, Scottish teams have done poorly recently so as DW says they lost the automatic place to a country whose teams did well. Its all worked out by some complex formula which as a far as I can tell no-one outside UEFA understands.
There are other countries in Europe where it is a one-horse race now thanks to the one club getting all the champions league money and their competition getting nothing, which is why you see the same teams appearign season after season.

most of the rangers team seem to be rejecting transfers of their contracts to newco

Playing parks football is not for them

most of the rangers team seem to be rejecting transfers of their contracts to newco

McGregor, Davis, Lafferty and Ness confirmed as rejecting.

I'd take Davis in a heartbeat, we don't need McGregor and the other two are shit.

They already lost it. Rangers lost to Malmo and Maribor last year and didn't qualify for any European competitions, Celtic lost to Sion but got into the Europa League by default when the Swiss club got banned for being dodgy mothers.

I wasn't aware they'd lost it - Scottish football really is in a world of shite.

Sad in a way as I remember growing up on Rangers in Europe, all our teams being banned.....

for winning it too many times, I mean participating in a decrepit stadium that fell down, I mean for all the Scousers robbing all the Jewellery and designer clothing shops round Europe - I mean for the mass hypocrisy that UEFA is and the vendetta they have with the FA. Of course I mean because apparently we were the only thugs in Europe....

It would be up to the 1st division clubs if they want the newco in their league. I can't see them going straight up as most of their players want to leave. Who would really want to join the newco even with it being rangers if they are playing in division 1

Players will join Rangers without a problem. Obviously not the "top" ones but the better will go there simply due to the where they play etc. Shall I play for Airdrie or get at least 1 season out of playing at Ibrox every other week

Players will join Rangers without a problem. Obviously not the "top" ones but the better will go there simply due to the where they play etc. Shall I play for Airdrie or get at least 1 season out of playing at Ibrox every other week

good point Kenny. They will only be able to attract those smaller players but if they don't go up it's a win for that division they are in. 4 times a season of playing rangers money will be rolling in

Well, two times a season. They wouldn't get anything from the games played at Ibrox just as we don't get any income from playing at Old Trafford. Away teams used to get 20% in ye olden days but no more.

Doubt it will happen anyway, Partick (managed by our old friend Mr J McNamara) and Raith have already voiced vociferous opposition to it, Dunfermline would almost certainly do the same.

Well, two times a season. They wouldn't get anything from the games played at Ibrox just as we don't get any income from playing at Old Trafford. Away teams used to get 20% in ye olden days but no more.

Doubt it will happen anyway, Partick (managed by our old friend Mr J McNamara) and Raith have already voiced vociferous opposition to it, Dunfermline would almost certainly do the same.

Falkirk have joined that list as well so thats 4 out of 9 already.

Anyone else see CHARLES GREEN is an anagram of RANGERS LEECH

Looks like it will be a drop of just one Divison. Elgin do not like this

Rangers are to be relegated with immediate effect and replaced in the SPL by Dundee.
Television rights for Rangers matches in Scottish Football League Division One are to be bought by the SPL for £1m.
The SPL and SFL will merge into one body at the start of season 2013-14.
Play-offs between the top two divisions will be introduced in time for the coming season with one team from the top flight and three from the second tier competing for a place in the following season's SPL.
There will be an increase in the parachute payments made to clubs relegated from the SPL.
Changes will be made to the distribution model for clubs in the top two tiers with teams in the lower leagues earning a similar amount to the current set-up.
A new pyramid system will become effective from season 2014-15 that will allow a potential place in the new league format for a team from either the Highland league or newly-created 'Lowland League'.
Rangers newco's acceptance into the Scottish FA would only be approved if they accept responsibility for the football debts and fines incurred by the pervious club along with their waiving of rights to a legal challenge.

Back