• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

QPR 2 - 1 Wolves: verdict thread

I still can't get my head round Bonatini's miss. It took me until his penalty to work out he was right footed, so then if he is right footed why does he let the ball come across him in a real awkward fashion and as a result getting his body shape all wrong and stick it over the bar!? It sits perfectly for him to Go and hit with power into the bottom corner with his right foot.

By all accounts we were shit, but looking at the highlights we could easily have won despite playing poorly. A draw may have been fair but sloppy goals have cost us a valuable point.

Edit - With 3 or 4 strong options in the squad to potentially come in (Boly, Hause, Vinagre, Norris), you'd hope Nuno will be able to make us more solid one way or other.

I still can't get my head round Bonatini's miss. It took me until his penalty to work out he was right footed, so then if he is right footed why does he let the ball come across him in a real awkward fashion and as a result getting his body shape all wrong and stick it over the bar!? It sits perfectly for him to Go and hit with power into the bottom corner with his right foot.

By all accounts we were shit, but looking at the highlights we could easily have won despite playing poorly. A draw may have been fair but sloppy goals have cost us a valuable point.

Yeah that was a sitter. He took his goal very well I thought but him and Jota could easily have scored and put the game out of sight, despite us not playing well.

With Girona beating Real Madrid today I think it at least proves that even when you're clearly better on paper these things will happen.

Not that the gap between us and QPR is quite the same as Real and Girona, but you get what I'm saying.

I was sat right behind the goal and it wasn't that easy a chance for Bonatini. The ball bounced up on him a lot more than it should have done and was in front of him so couldn't have come in with his right foot. He still should have scored but wasn't as easy as it looked.

Dave Edwards can’t tackle, cross, control a football, shoot, stand in roughly the right place in his career position. I’d rather play Bennett.
I heard someone mutter at Man City “this would have been a good time to bring Dave Edwards on”

Yeah that was a sitter. He took his goal very well I thought but him and Jota could easily have scored and put the game out of sight, despite us not playing well.

The strange thing is that Bonatini can score the difficult half chances, but he seems to miss a sitter almost every game.

The strange thing is that Bonatini can score the difficult half chances, but he seems to miss a sitter almost every game.

He does seem to miss some easy looking chances fairly regularly, it's hard to knock him too much given how well he fits into the side and managed a good output in terms of goals/assists too but from highlights he could've easily had at least another 5 goals from pretty routine chances.

I was sat right behind the goal and it wasn't that easy a chance for Bonatini. The ball bounced up on him a lot more than it should have done and was in front of him so couldn't have come in with his right foot. He still should have scored but wasn't as easy as it looked.

Had this conversation with a couple of Wolves fans in a pub near Paddington...Ball bounced up in front of him and not as easy as it looked. The feeling was tha Jota should have shot instead of passing and if the keeper parried it, Leo had a real tap-in

He does seem to miss some easy looking chances fairly regularly, it's hard to knock him too much given how well he fits into the side and managed a good output in terms of goals/assists too but from highlights he could've easily had at least another 5 goals from pretty routine chances.

Agreed. He fits in very nicely to the system, and he does score goals. It is just frustrating that he tends to miss the easy chances.

With Girona beating Real Madrid today I think it at least proves that even when you're clearly better on paper these things will happen.

Not that the gap between us and QPR is quite the same as Real and Girona, but you get what I'm saying.

Carles Puigdemonts home town, the victory would have been politically sweet.

Thought I'd add a few of my own observations from Saturday. We were sat in The South Africa stand around the half way line.

Day started well in the defectors weld, an acquired southern accent and home tickets inside. The spread of QPR fans was quite funny. From real, proper, golden geezers to frightfully well spoken ex public schoolboys in cashmere jumpers. More of them later. We met up with my cousin and nephew at the stadium and took our seats just as teams came out. The South Africa Stand observed the silence impeccably, and I felt deeply ashamed that it was only broken by a handful of Wolves fans.

The game itself was extremely frustrating. It's the first game I've gone to this season so I was looking for forward to getting a look at how we set up and change through the game. We never really controlled the midfield. The ball was in the air far too much on a pitch that bounces like a dirt track and we looked like we were missing a gear for long periods. They punished us down our right and we made far too many individual sloppy errors which eventually cost us a point. When we did play anywhere near the level we are capable of, we destroyed them. Leo took his goal well after some great work by Jota who was our outstanding player of the day, they really couldn't handle him. If you looked into the South Africa stand when we scored I would have been the only one standing up with my arms raised.

The Sun thought Ivan should have had a penalty just before he came off. The QPR fans clearly disagreed and booed him off when Costa replaced him.
The move that led to Leo putting one over the bar in the second half was the best of the game. It was beautiful to watch and should have led to the match winner. Costa looked very off the pace and far from ready for a starting place. Overall it was a lacklustre performance, for long periods of the second 45 we allowed QPR to dictate an awful style of football, when for short periods we showed why we should have been playing them off the park.

I'dve settled for a point, a loss was a bit too much to swallow and it came as no surprise to find out we had a very angry manager.

The noise the Wolves fans made drowned out the QPR fans all day. There were two of the cashmere clad ex public schoolboys across from us getting angrier and more vexed the louder they got, it was quite funny listening to then try to be intimidating, which, in a respectful way, was how one QPR fan behind us described the sight of every Wolves fan standing.

It's a drop in performance, not ability that cost us three points so it's not all doom and gloom but we really should have got something out of this.

Thought I'd add a few of my own observations from Saturday. We were sat in The South Africa stand around the half way line.

Day started well in the defectors weld, an acquired southern accent and home tickets inside. The spread of QPR fans was quite funny. From real, proper, golden geezers to frightfully well spoken ex public schoolboys in cashmere jumpers. More of them later. We met up with my cousin and nephew at the stadium and took our seats just as teams came out. The South Africa Stand observed the silence impeccably, and I felt deeply ashamed that it was only broken by a handful of Wolves fans.

The game itself was extremely frustrating. It's the first game I've gone to this season so I was looking for forward to getting a look at how we set up and change through the game. We never really controlled the midfield. The ball was in the air far too much on a pitch that bounces like a dirt track and we looked like we were missing a gear for long periods. They punished us down our right and we made far too many individual sloppy errors which eventually cost us a point. When we did play anywhere near the level we are capable of, we destroyed them. Leo took his goal well after some great work by Jota who was our outstanding player of the day, they really couldn't handle him. If you looked into the South Africa stand when we scored I would have been the only one standing up with my arms raised.

The Sun thought Ivan should have had a penalty just before he came off. The QPR fans clearly disagreed and booed him off when Costa replaced him.
The move that led to Leo putting one over the bar in the second half was the best of the game. It was beautiful to watch and should have led to the match winner. Costa looked very off the pace and far from ready for a starting place. Overall it was a lacklustre performance, for long periods of the second 45 we allowed QPR to dictate an awful style of football, when for short periods we showed why we should have been playing them off the park.

I'dve settled for a point, a loss was a bit too much to swallow and it came as no surprise to find out we had a very angry manager.

The noise the Wolves fans made drowned out the QPR fans all day. There were two of the cashmere clad ex public schoolboys across from us getting angrier and more vexed the louder they got, it was quite funny listening to then try to be intimidating, which, in a respectful way, was how one QPR fan behind us described the sight of every Wolves fan standing.

It's a drop in performance, not ability that cost us three points so it's not all doom and gloom but we really should have got something out of this.

On the minutes silence...The noisy Wolves fans were actually in the concourse and not in their seats so may not have been aware it had started but I was still mumbling STFU under my breath

So the QPR fans thought that us standing was "intimidating"?

they thought the Wolves fans were intimidating, and they were. As I said, it was a respectful compliment from them. When John Ruddy came out a couple of youngsters had a real wtf moment and commented that we were cheating cos he was so huge. Then they looked at the rest of the team and wanted to know how come we had giants all over whilst they had midgets? We made their day though as they were wondering if they'd ever see QPR win in their lifetime at kick off.

For me Tuesday

Ruddy out for Norris
Douglas out for Vinagre
Batth out for Boly
Saiss out for Alf
Cav our for Costa

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of changes to make to a team that has won 4 in 5.

Only change for me would be the enforced one, Saiss for N'Diaye.

We lost the midfield on Saturday, so I think that area is definitely under consideration. Douglas wasn't my main frustration on Saturday,but I understand the clamour for Vinagre after the City game. Cav doesn't look at his sharpest, but he looked a damn sight sharper than Helder Costa. Hopefully that will come back with match time, but I'm not convinced he's ready for a start yet, and I don't think John Ruddy deserves to be dropped for one less than commanding performance in a team that overall didn't apply itself consistently for 90 minutes. I think some of those changes are a bit harsh

Quite a few negative comments for Saiss on here. I thought he was the better of the 2 CM's and bar the cock up which led to the goal I'd have said he was up their with the best of ours on the day.

On the minutes silence...The noisy Wolves fans were actually in the concourse and not in their seats so may not have been aware it had started but I was still mumbling STFU under my breath

So the QPR fans thought that us standing was "intimidating"?

We weren't being intimidating :icon_biggrin: merely that the minimal space given between rows wouldn't have allowed my legs to fit anyway (only surpassed by South West Trains efforts on their part of my return journey)

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of changes to make to a team that has won 4 in 5.

Only change for me would be the enforced one, Saiss for N'Diaye.
On the face of it perhaps but break it down individually and its not so drastic IMO.

Ruddy has been pretty consistent but Norris has been very impressive also and Ruddy was at fault for one of the goals at QPR. I also think long term Norris will be better and needs game time.
Douglas has been poor for several games now, Vinagre has been great whenever called on this one I think will happen and will be surprised if not.
Batth isn't in the same league as Boly and if its the weakest of the 3 to change then its Batth IMO, Batth was also at fault for the 1st QPR goal, you could argue Miranda should to better for the 2nd but his was a much more difficult problem against a 6ft 6" monster.
Saiss is suspended so thats an easy one
Cav long term comes in 2nd best and Costa needs game time, I wouldn't be upset if Cav is left in at his best he is unplayable.

Back