• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Players you disliked

Its probably the whole thing about the 80's and the plummet down the divisions, that sours my attitude towards them, rather than their actual performances Hankin Excluded. We went to West Ham, if there were 30 in total that was about it. Scott McGarvie possibly played up front for us we were watching players who really were not much better than the players I had played with.

Mark Sparrock I played with, probably had more talent than any of that Wolves team.
And here was I spending hard earned money travelling all over to watch them play because they were Wolves.

I Hate everything to do with that period.

Coucillor John Bird was a guy I met, and thought was the real Saviour of WWFC.

I've got worse over the years, Derek Jefferson and Billy Rafferty were first, probably because they were signed to replace heroes of mine as a youngster and turned out relatively useless.
The dark years of the mid 80s , it was hard to hate anyone as most of them just weren't good enough but then I can resume with a list of players whose attitude or application I wasn't happy with.
For a certain display in a black country derby, top of the list would be that little chicken shit, Rohan Ricketts.
The rest of the list would include, for various reasons - Simon Osborn, Darren Ferguson, Paul Butler, Nathan Blake, Darren Ward, Doherty, Stephen Ward, Halford, Tom Huddlestone and Darron Gibson.

Huddlestone was alright! Hoddle gradually drained him of confidence though.

Anderton a fair bigger villain from that season and can't believe you've resigned as co-founder of the anti-Seyi club...

Its probably the whole thing about the 80's and the plummet down the divisions, that sours my attitude towards them, rather than their actual performances Hankin Excluded. We went to West Ham, if there were 30 in total that was about it. Scott McGarvie possibly played up front for us we were watching players who really were not much better than the players I had played with.

Mark Sparrock I played with, probably had more talent than any of that Wolves team.
And here was I spending hard earned money travelling all over to watch them play because they were Wolves.

I Hate everything to do with that period.

Coucillor John Bird was a guy I met, and thought was the real Saviour of WWFC.
I'm the opposite.

I loved the fall* and rise of the 80's because it all happened so quickly and there was a real connection with the team, players [many of which as you say were from local football] and fan camaraderie.

* admittedly the fall only became lovable/bearable because the rise back up followed so quickly and yes, at the time, it was 'disastrous' but there was still a great feeling of being part of it and being very close to the club and players who were being picked to play at a level way beyond their ability. Rarely though did we have anyone that didn't try and for that reason alone I don't get the hate.
I was home and away every game 84 onwards (home and a few away 82-83, home only pre 82) and the friendships formed, places visited and journeys to and from the grounds unrivaled. My age at the time was obviously a factor with the ability to do what I wanted and go where I wanted clearly prior to marriage and meaningful work commitments

Paul Jones (GK) in his second spell with the club.

Dislodged Michael Oakes who was playing well, proceeded to be at fault for a goal a game, for what seemed like every game.

Paul Jones (GK) in his second spell with the club.

Dislodged Michael Oakes who was playing well, proceeded to be at fault for a goal a game, for what seemed like every game.
I went to Dundee for that preseason tournament and actually celebrated him being stretchered off at Dens Park, it was a very unhealthy dislike I had for him.

Huddlestone was alright! Hoddle gradually drained him of confidence though.

Anderton a fair bigger villain from that season and can't believe you've resigned as co-founder of the anti-Seyi club...
Yes, a glaring omission, consider him added.
I watched Huddlestone on a couple of occasions, particularly away, do a remarkable impression of Darren Ferguson, (I'm too good for this level so won't bother).

Karl Henry. I know most people liked him when he was playing for us, I just thought he epitomised everything I disliked about the whole 'graft over craft' ethos that was Mick's football mentality. Highly limited footballer who worked hard and could put a tackle in. His passing was pretty poor and his decision making slower than a sloth.

And he has proven to be an absolute bellend since, so I feel vindicated in despising him 😂.

Back