• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Player of the Season so far?

Player of the Season so far

• Total voters
Maybe so, but we're not in the Prem yet. This year, game to game, I think he's been one of our most consistent performers.

To be clear I don't think he'd quite win but I do think he deserves a bit more positive recognition than he's getting.
All about opinion, but for me he'd be behind:
Neves, Jota, Cav, Boly, Coady and Doherty

Baz has been consistently average at best, at worst he's really a not very good defender and doesn't have the engine, pace or ability to take on players that Doc has (amazed to be writing that). Being good at set pieces doesn't make a great football player, it's not like that weird American game where you bring set piece players on and and off.

Coady for me too, he's been exceptional plus a real leader.

Baz has had a very good season, as has every 1st team regular this season. It's been a consistent season and the fact we've made fewer changes to the XI this season than any other championship side and we've been top for so long backs that up.

I think all the regular starters can feel proud of their efforts (including Jinky's favourite scapegoat between the sticks) but Neves is comfortably POTS for me.

However you can't just give someone a vote because you feel a bit sorry for them not being recognised.

That's not what I've done tbf. I think he should be in with a shout based on performance.

Baz has had a very good season, as has every 1st team regular this season. It's been a consistent season and the fact we've made fewer changes to the XI this season than any other championship side and we've been top for so long backs that up.

I think all the regular starters can feel proud of their efforts (including Jinky's favourite scapegoat between the sticks) but Neves is comfortably POTS for me.

I'd agree with all of this. Douglas is clearly a key component of this team. I voted Jota at the time but on reflection it's got to be Neves. Douglas makes the top 10 at best.

I like Baz. He's not flawless, but has still done a great job this season. Agree that he's perhaps got a bit too much stick recently at times as he's defo not dire or woeful, as I've seen him described.

Originally voted Coady as I think he's been outstanding, but I wonder if part of that is because I like Coady the Leader so much. For pure footballing awesomeness, I can't escape that Neves just does things to me. I'd have to go with Ruben now - probably the best player I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt. He's unbelievable.

Boly and Jota too have of course been excellent, but a massive shout-out to Cav too who is perhaps overlooked at times as a POTS contender behind Jota and Neves. He's been wonderful at times, a serious talent, involved in so much fantastic play going forward and he works so hard all round. Perhaps a stronger second half of the season for him, as reflected in the original voting?

He's been a great signing especially given what we paid.

However you can't just give someone a vote because you feel a bit sorry for them not being recognised.

I'm still voting Coady btw. As much as I love Ruben, he cost nearly £16m. I expect him to be good (perhaps not this stratospherically good, but still).

That's treating it like a handicap race. In terms of performances Neves has been our best player, and unlike like a few of the squad just keeps on getting better. It would be a travesty if he did not win simply because he cost a lot of money.

That's treating it like a handicap race. In terms of performances Neves has been our best player, and unlike like a few of the squad just keeps on getting better. It would be a travesty if he did not win simply because he cost a lot of money.

Even though I rarely these days disagree with Deutsch (he's got so much wiser over the years, even though he's younger than my four children!), I agree with you Wilf Wolf and have just voted for the first time for Rueben Neves. He has been simply and consistently brilliant!

Neves. If not Neves, Cav. If not Cav, Boly. the entire team has done well but there's no other possible answer at this point in the season.

Jota was deservedly leading at the halfpoint, but his form has dipped and he has had a few bad games and an occasional lack of effort. Of the two Cav stands out more for me considering the entire season: always putting in an incredible shift, has been the focal point more often than not, and has been the one consistent point in the forwards.

Neves has been a rock in midfield though and deserves the nod.

Last edited:
Picked Jota earlier, but agree he has come down off his pedestal a bit now.

Will probably go for Neves as he has maintained his form in almost every game. Interestingly most are selecting him or forwards as the most eye catching. For me the other possibility is Boly who has appeared virtually untroubled without seeming to play anywhere near as well as he could do.

10 years from now we'll be picking our all time Wolves XI on this forum. Diogo Jota will be in some teams, Wille Boly may well be in most teams, but Ruben Neves will be in every team

By the same token Alex Rae got in most people's all time teams (of those aged under 45 or so anyway) when we did the megapoll last summer. Count the number of Player of the Year awards he actually got...

By the same token Alex Rae got in most people's all time teams (of those aged under 45 or so anyway) when we did the megapoll last summer. Count the number of Player of the Year awards he actually got...
Who did win them when he was here? Lescott and Murray?

2001/2 - Rae
2002/3 - Lescott
2003/4 - Camara

Arguably he didn't actually deserve it in 01/02, Sturridge or Lescott had stronger shouts.

03/04 was the travesty. Camara was part of the reason we got anchored at the foot of the league in the first place as prior to late March, he couldn't finish to save his life.

You shouldn't ascribe logic to what our fans pick, the list of winners is baffling at points. For instance as much as I loved Kev Foley, did he really deserve to win it over 25 goal SEB in 08/09?

When was the last time last seasons winner wouldn't be in this seasons top ten in most peoples estimations?

Definitely changed my vote for an overall effect for us. Ruben Neves makes us tick on all fronts. Truly magical player.

Not sure how Doherty has managed to get in the top three of the actual award. He's been very good since the break to Spain bar Fulham and Villa but fucking hell, he's nowhere near the top performers. If you were going to pick a wingback then surely Douglas would be the choice with five goals and 14 assists! Doherty has been better than Jota, Cavaleiro, Saiss, Boly and Bennett, really?

I don't understand our fans sometimes.

Doc ahead of Jota is very random.

Probably got his sister rigging the vote.

Back