• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert Leaves Wolves

Pat Murphy‏Verified account @patmurphybbc 7m7 minutes ago

Understand Lambert's departure from @Wolves will b confirmed tomorrow morning.Nuno Santo taking over with his own support staff. A clear-out

Pat Murphy‏Verified account @patmurphybbc 5m5 minutes ago

Jeff Shi will take a bigger role in daily running of @Wolves with Mendes prevailing over Lambert. Santo client of Mendes.PL had no chance.

Pat Murphy‏Verified account @patmurphybbc 2m2 minutes ago

Lambert wanted to stay but didn't want players forced on him. Santo a/v & will bring in his own back-up team. Lambert expendable. No contest

Pat Murphy on Twitter saying Lambert will be gone tomorrow Along with the back room team. A clear out and Nuno in with his own team.

Yes, nevermind the fact that we should be sacking Lambert for Nuno regardless, let's just focus on the "Mendes in charge" narrative, eh, Murphy?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thelwell must be gone if Murphy is right.

DoF (or whatever we call it) is a pretty wide ranging job, Thelwell does more than just buy players. He shouldn't be involved in scouting/buying players as he's proven he's shit at it but I've no idea how good he is at the rest of his job. No problem with him being kept on as long as he's removed from any position which involves us potentially bidding £2M+ for Jordan Hugill.

No problem with him being kept on as long as he's removed from any position which involves us potentially bidding £2M+ for Jordan Hugill.

He would need to be kept away from any contract renewals too. He loves giving a mediocre player a nice long contract.

Really excited about Nuno though!

Thelwell must be gone as well. That EEL contract extension is on his watch, if nothing else.

Thelwell going would be great news to wake up to. I do feel a tad sorry for Lambert but if it's true his replacement is in a different league.

All sounds very positive hopefully it's not all bollocks and we won't have to watch Dave put a shift in for another season.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Thelwell going would be great news to wake up to. I do feel a tad sorry for Lambert but if it's true his replacement is in a different league.
Agree with this, if I'm honest. Lambert cannot be forgiven for leaking his issues to the press - something that hasn't been (and probably never will be) confirmed, but it's quite obvious it was either him or someone very close to him. I do feel sorry for the position he was put in - it's not completely out of order for a Manager of a football club, in this instance Paul Lambert, to want to be in control of players that are brought in to ultimately be managed by him on a day to day basis. He has been backed in to a corner, but unfortunately going squealing to your mates in the press is not the correct way to go about sorting things.

It's a shame, as we were all mainly positive when he was appointed, and there was a lot of talk about us benefiting from his time away in Germany etc.

Nuno, though - is a Manager that without Mendes' influence, we would have no hope of appointing after a mid to lower finish in the 2nd tier of English football. We all knew we were in for a roller-coaster ride when Fosun took over - I guess we just need to sit back and try to enjoy it as best as we can.

More in the vein of stating the obvious that has doubtless been mentioned elsewhere... If that announcement does come to fruition, then a side benefit must be the quantum shift in the odds of us seeing Costa again next season? Even if they're still very long, as there is a fair bit of 2+2=5 in the logic, they must come in a long way. That alone is a cheery thought.

I think anything is possible if we are going to be managed by the 'holy spirit / ghost' :)

Yeah, it's a wild old name. Let's hope that if the next season is biblical then it's in the ascension sense at any rate.

Costa hasn't really been linked with anyone, not in a credible way anyway (there was some drivel that Chelsea and Arsenal were after him a few months ago that some people bought wholesale for some reason). Not to say he won't go but I don't think a move is imminent, or indeed was set up long ago as the conspiracy theories regarding his injury - a "fake injury" that's subject to such a deep cover story that he's still been reporting to Compton for treatment since the season ended - would have had you believe.

Costa, Cav and Tex uploaded a video on Instagram a couple of nights ago. They were in Portugal or Spain at a wedding and Costa was wearing one of those foot cast boots on his injured foot.

I think bringing in Nuno definitely fits with keeping Costa and Cav

Unless Mendes really wants to shift Cav on then he wasn't going anywhere anyway. We can see what he offers and the potential he has (even if Britney thinks he's not a "team player" despite the team picking up way more wins, points and goals when he plays...but I digress) but there isn't any way he's had enough obvious impact so far for anyone to be tempted into buying him off us, not for the money we'd ask.

I'm excited to see who we bring in assuming Nuno is appointed - you'd think that we're a much more attractive proposition for players based overseas with him in charge.

Back