• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert Leaves Wolves

This sort of thing really winds me up. Like when we had years of people saying we needed "an Ince type midfielder". Go on then, who? If they're so readily available then you should be able to name a few realistic candidates. The likelihood is you'll end up naming a load of dross because there isn't a massive amount out there that you'd *trust* to have us challenging at the top and that we could attract at this stage. Monk would be an exception I suppose but even then, it's not like he has a flawless record.

Just from the last three seasons:

Jokanovic - no experience in England bar a short playing spell at Chelsea. Took Watford up
Karanka - not that I like him but again, straight into England, playoffs followed by automatic promotion
Wagner - first season, playoff final, might go up
Stam - ditto, played in England for three seasons but beyond that...hadn't managed anyone at all, ever

So yeah, looks like that experience isn't that valuable after all. Almost as if it's more important that whoever you appoint is a good manager rather than the colour of their passport.

I have to say, I've been surprised in a similar way about Lambert as well, in that, regardless of his ability or track record, it seems that in football old stereotypes and expectations about "the jocks" (of the type I've never heard anyone under the age of 65 use in real life) are still alive and well. Scotland as a foreign country - impenetrable accents, dour and pessimistic people, etc. - that kind of petty Little Englander mentality. There are reasons to criticise Lambert without holding his being Scottish against him. (Not accusing people on this forum of that, btw, this is more of a Facebook/MM thing.)

All these rumours are quite interesting, but looking at the photo's in the articles, I think having Keith Allen manage us might make things entertaining.

Nuno Espirito Santo was Jorge Mendes' first ever client - so it's no wonder the recently departed Porto boss is on Wolves' radar.

Super agent Jorge Mendes with client Cristiano Ronaldo
Super agent Jorge Mendes with client Cristiano Ronaldo

If Wolves fans were hoping for calmer waters in 2017/18, they may be disappointed. It appears that the club’s Chinese owners are set to rock the boat again by handing super-agent Jorge Mendes full control over recruitment despite the Portuguese not holding an official role at Molinuex.

As a result, undermined manager Paul Lambert may not be working at the club for much longer, The Telegraph report.

And it appears that Fosun International are already sounding out replacements for the divisive Scot. According to the Express and Star, Nuno Espirito Santo is a potential frontrunner to take over at the Midlands club.

Trouble ahead?

Although the former goalkeeper has taken charge of Champions League games with Valencia and FC Porto in the last two seasons, he is hardly the kind of steadying influence the fans will be hoping for.

FC Porto coach Nuno Espirito Santo before the match
Nuno Espirito Santo left Porto after leading them to second in the Primera Liga

After all, the fact that Nuno was Jorge Mendes’ first ever client as he attempted to get his now world-renowned agency off the ground perhaps explains why he has been tipped to swap giants of the European game like Porto for the side who finished 15th in the Championship.

“If I’m here it’s thanks to Jorge Mendes and what’s the problem with that?” Nuno said after being appointed at Valencia in 2014 following two excellent seasons with Rio Ave, as reported by FourFourTwo.

Watch out Wolves

It turns out there was a problem with that. Valencia thrilled in Nuno’s debut season, finishing fourth and playing some of the most exciting attacking football in Spain. At the start of his second, however, it became quickly apparent that he was little more than a puppet with Mendes pulling the strings.

Nuno

A series of overpriced unknowns arrived from Portugal (sound familiar Wolves fans?) while the downturn in results paved the way for white handkerchiefs to reign down in the Mestalla.

In the end, Valencia fans made Nuno the scapegoat thanks to his close ties with the hugely unpopular Mendes – a man who brought his own clients to the club and took star man Nicolas Otamendi away to Manchester City.

So he does well at Valencia then mendes hands him duds, then gets the sack. Anyone wanting this for Wolves needs their heads examined. Wolves will become a basket case.

Nuno Espirito Santo was Jorge Mendes' first ever client - so it's no wonder the recently departed Porto boss is on Wolves' radar.

At least source your copy and pasting exploits.

Even better, read the posts prior to yours and you'll see this article has altready been linked by T-Dan...

Sheesh.

So he does well at Valencia then mendes hands him duds, then gets the sack. Anyone wanting this for Wolves needs their heads examined. Wolves will become a basket case.

Supporting the club with all your heart again.

Supporting the club with all your heart again.

Find article, dig out the most negative points and emphasis them. Classic Irish Wolf...
He managed VALENCIA & PORTO! but he's never managed world great players like Leigh Griffiths

Valencia's biggest issue of all is that they have two grounds. One they don't want, that is falling to bits but they can't sell, and one that they can't afford to finish building.

If Jorge Mendes is a problem for them then he's very much a side issue. Plus as a club they've made odd strategic decisions since time immemorial. They managed to withdraw support for Benitez after he'd taken them to two Champions League finals and sacked Unai Emery after three successive 3rd place finishes. That all predates Peter Lim, who is supposed to be the man allowing Mendes to have influence.

Besides which players who might be considered "duds" for Valencia, a club who will perpetually have hopes of finishing in the CL spots in the best league in Europe, would probably not be duds for Wolves in the second tier after we've finished on 58 points for two years in a row. Would Helder Costa get in the Sevilla or Atletico Madrid team? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter though as he's the best player in the Championship by a mile. I wonder who brought him here?

I can't believe I've read some comments from people grumbling about the possibility of this. How often do managers go from Valencia to Porto to Wolverhampton? Surely this guy is a level above those we would usually be able to attract?

just back from a hol and catching up with the speculation.

this is spot on on. i think whoever gets appointed will get slated somewhere - we don't know them so they can't know the league, we do know them and they've fucked up somewhere, they signed this or that shitey player, they play attacking football but have no concept of defence, they play defensive football that's not entertaining, blah blah blah

any managerial change that happens is going to be a risk. fosun's money, fosun's choice and we just have to hope they make it a good one.

If a decent manager such as Nuno comes in and has to work with Thelwell, we might end up in a bit of an inverted situation to the one we are supposedly in now!

If Fosun are looking at the situation where Mendes is suggesting players for the 1st team, if Kev is still around it won't make an ounce of difference really. He will be be looking after the Development and Under's players, which is fine by me, he can generally spot emerging talent..but after saying that, if that what Fosun want to do they are basically demoting him, so they would be better off saying goodbye and promoting the guy who currently looks after the Academy.

Thelwell? :whistle:

DezBryantScreamTonyRomoDetroit.gif

If Fosun are looking at the situation where Mendes is suggesting players for the 1st team, if Kev is still around it won't make an ounce of difference really. He will be be looking after the Development and Under's players, which is fine by me, he can generally spot emerging talent..but after saying that, if that what Fosun want to do they are basically demoting him, so they would be better off saying goodbye and promoting the guy who currently looks after the Academy.

Yeah let's just say whoever comes in is happy to work with Mendes and thinks they will be able to bring a few players in between them (you would assume so, if we are getting rid of Lambert over the supposed situation, surely that'll be a big factor with the new appointment), Thelwell is sort of redundant isn't he.

Valencia's biggest issue of all is that they have two grounds. One they don't want, that is falling to bits but they can't sell, and one that they can't afford to finish building.

If Jorge Mendes is a problem for them then he's very much a side issue. Plus as a club they've made odd strategic decisions since time immemorial. They managed to withdraw support for Benitez after he'd taken them to two Champions League finals and sacked Unai Emery after three successive 3rd place finishes. That all predates Peter Lim, who is supposed to be the man allowing Mendes to have influence.

Didn't they finish 12th last season?

and in regards to the new stadium it's literally been left there to rot so when the construction does continue it will cost them a whole lot more.

Didn't they finish 12th last season?

and in regards to the new stadium it's literally been left there to rot so when the construction does continue it will cost them a whole lot more.

They may have but Nuno was at Porto so that proves Valencia as a basket case

Back