• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert Leaves Wolves

People think Hoddle is a great footballing mind because superficially he sounds like he knows what he's on about, plus that's the narrative now, he's England's great lost manager, what could have been if he hadn't been sacked. When you examine what he says in any kind of detail then it's just the ramblings of a lunatic. He's wrong on virtually everything (he's a massive hypocrite too given what we know about how his teams play, and he goes and slates England or whoever for the exact same failings that he was continually guilty of as a manager).

He deserved to be sacked as England manager on footballing grounds let alone his nutbar, distasteful religious views (which he still won't take ownership of, nearly 20 years on, despite the verbatim quotes clearly showing him up for what he is).

I don't just slate him as a pundit because I personally dislike him, I do it because he talks fucking rot.

Would you have him back?

Would you have him back?

I think he and Karanka should be forced to source a team apiece and playoff against each other. First goal wins. As it'll be 0-0 for weeks on end, we won't be able to employ either as they'll be otherwise engaged.

Personally, I just want somebody new to come in and do things differently. Since the last days of the McCarthy era it's been pretty much the same old shit with hard work preferred over skill and too many mediocre players being picked. I just want someone to have a new way of doing things.

Personally, I just want somebody new to come in and do things differently. Since the last days of the McCarthy era it's been pretty much the same old $#@! with hard work preferred over skill and too many mediocre players being picked. I just want someone to have a new way of doing things.

The one constant with all subsequent managers? Our coaches

I think that will only happen with a backroom staff clearout,could be happening now,with fosun having a mass sacking,but more than likely isnt

The one constant with all subsequent managers? Our coaches

Not strictly true, Solbakken binned TC off in September which meant for his final three and a half months or so, there were no constants on the frontline coaching staff bar Pat Mountain. It was him, Johan Lange and Patrick Weiser. And we were shit.

Then Saunders brought in Brian Carey and Mal Purchase and we were even more shit.

Mountain is still there and our keepers are going backwards. Our medical team is the same and injuries take longer than normal to sort out. oh and Tony Daley...

Medical team has changed. Wasn't our top guy nicked by the FA?

Mountain is still there and our keepers are going backwards. Our medical team is the same and injuries take longer than normal to sort out. oh and Tony Daley...

Daley doesn't coach though, does he.

Our keepers aren't going backwards, they're just fucking rubbish. Pick the best keeper coach in the world and he won't make Ikeme any good.

For the record, I do think we need an overhaul of the coaching side; our numbers are way too thin, and have been for years, and there's got to be some doubt over the qualities of the likes of Taylor/Edwards/Mountain.

However:

1) You can't force staff onto a manager. You can tell him he needs more coaches and he needs to go and find them, but you can't just bring them in and ask him to work with them. That would be a disaster.

2) We aren't crap because our coaching department is sub-standard. They might not help matters, but they are not the root cause. We're crap because we own and use far too many crap footballers. I don't care who you have on the staff, there's no way you're teaching Doherty how to defend or Edwards how to pass. They both play nearly every game at the moment.

The common denominator that needs revamping above all else is the playing staff, not the coaching staff. Of course it isn't an either/or situation but if we went out and signed let's say, James Husband and James Tarkowski, our defensive record would improve and we'd play better football from the back as if by magic, without doing anything at all to the backroom area, because they're miles better than what we have. It's not like we have a really good squad but they inexplicably can't put it all together on a matchday. We have a shit squad.

BFS has left Palace...

For the record, I do think we need an overhaul of the coaching side; our numbers are way too thin, and have been for years, and there's got to be some doubt over the qualities of the likes of Taylor/Edwards/Mountain.

However:

1) You can't force staff onto a manager. You can tell him he needs more coaches and he needs to go and find them, but you can't just bring them in and ask him to work with them. That would be a disaster.

2) We aren't crap because our coaching department is sub-standard. They might not help matters, but they are not the root cause. We're crap because we own and use far too many crap footballers. I don't care who you have on the staff, there's no way you're teaching Doherty how to defend or Edwards how to pass. They both play nearly every game at the moment.

The common denominator that needs revamping above all else is the playing staff, not the coaching staff. Of course it isn't an either/or situation but if we went out and signed let's say, James Husband and James Tarkowski, our defensive record would improve and we'd play better football from the back as if by magic, without doing anything at all to the backroom area, because they're miles better than what we have. It's not like we have a really good squad but they inexplicably can't put it all together on a matchday. We have a $#@! squad.

All very valid points Dan. I would add to that we have a stupid philosophy document and driver at the club whereby coaching is based around this doctrine which simply doesn't work. It is my belief (and only a theory at that) that this is driven by our DoF structure. It isn't working and hasn't worked for 2 years and certainly doesn't work with this group of players. All of these 3 things need to change as changing only 1 of them will lead to the same results.

I thought it was the manager who decides the tactics and style of football and the coaches follow is orders or is that too simplistic.

I thought it was the manager who decides the tactics and style of football and the coaches follow is orders or is that too simplistic.

We don't have a manager though we have a Head Coach who is over the likes of Taylor, Edwards and Mountain but answerable to the Sporting Director, ie Thelwell

We don't have a manager though we have a Head Coach who is over the likes of Taylor, Edwards and Mountain but answerable to the Sporting Director, ie Thelwell

So is it Thelwell who decides the tactics and style of play?, if it is then I don't blame Lambert for wanting out.

Back