• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert Leaves Wolves

So early candidates seem to be - Aitor Karanka, Nuno Espirito Santo, Sergio Conceicao, Paulo Sousa, Oscar Garcia...

Don't think I've missed anyone out who has been linked with us so far (I think we can rule out Silva and that Jose Couceiro guy was never in the running to begin with).

Makes a change from last season when Thelwell was in charge of recruitment post-Zenga. Our 4 man shortlist was Lambert, Pearson, Ince and Sherwood. Lambert was clearly the best of that group but nobody was really excited about him. Karanka is probably the weakest of the current group but would still probably be a good appointment.

I agree with that. I saw Lambert as the best of a bad bunch - I'm still not sure who I'd prefer over Lambert or Karanka.

So early candidates seem to be - Aitor Karanka, Nuno Espirito Santo, Sergio Conceicao, Paulo Sousa, Oscar Garcia...

Don't think I've missed anyone out who has been linked with us so far (I think we can rule out Silva and that Jose Couceiro guy was never in the running to begin with).

Makes a change from last season when Thelwell was in charge of recruitment post-Zenga. Our 4 man shortlist was Lambert, Pearson, Ince and Sherwood. Lambert was clearly the best of that group but nobody was really excited about him. Karanka is probably the weakest of the current group but would still probably be a good appointment.

I don't think Sousa is particularly impressive as a manager and is as defensive as Karanka. I don't think either would be a very good appointment. Garcia would be an excellent shout and one I would certainly want but I don't know enough about the two to know if they are any good or not.

I agree with that. I saw Lambert as the best of a bad bunch - I'm still not sure who I'd prefer over Lambert or Karanka.

As managers there's probably very little to choose between them but if Lambert isn't prepared to deal with Mendes then it's a no brainer for me.

I'd be happy enough with Karanka but I'm hoping we can pull off a bit of a coup and bring in one of the others. Paulo Sousa in particular would be a real statement of intent, there's no way he'd come without the promise of significant investment.

I went to Italy in September when Zenga was in charge. In January I went to Scotland and we had Lambert.

I'm off to Portugal on 5th June...

I don't think Sousa is particularly impressive as a manager and is as defensive as Karanka. I don't think either would be a very good appointment. Garcia would be an excellent shout and one I would certainly want but I don't know enough about the two to know if they are any good or not.

Sousa struggled at Leicester and as you say his Swansea side was quite poor to watch but he did well with some quality attacking players at Basel and his Fiorentina side play some lovely football.

I hope not! Cathro is a fucking idiot.

Highly rated as a coach, and for his knowledge but do wonder if at 28(?) it's come a bit soon for him?

I went to Italy in September when Zenga was in charge. In January I went to Scotland and we had Lambert.

I'm off to Portugal on 5th June...

Can't you bring the holiday forward a few weeks? I don't think some folk will be able to wait that long without throwing a wobbly.

Sousa struggled at Leicester and as you say his Swansea side was quite poor to watch but he did well with some quality attacking players at Basel and his Fiorentina side play some lovely football.

Fair comment, I have sen Fiorentina once on TV this season so not a fair comparison. I guess the fact he is at Fiorentina should be enough for us not to get him.

Highly rated as a coach, and for his knowledge but do wonder if at 28(?) it's come a bit soon for him?

I think he's just a shite manager tbh.

Any half decent manager would've had that squad up there with Aberdeen but his record since he took over has been laughable and the football they play is utterly rancid. They literally just hammer the ball as far down the pitch as they can while Cathro sits on the bench fiddling about with his laptop. The only small ray of sympathy I have for him is that he's having to work with Craig Levein.

Sousa did some pundit work for channel 4 last season when they covered a Portugal game, his insight and thoughts were first class while his English is top notch.

Sousa did some pundit work for channel 4 last season when they covered a Portugal game, his insight and thoughts were first class while his English is top notch.

You mean just like Gary Neville........oh

I think he's just a shite manager tbh.

Any half decent manager would've had that squad up there with Aberdeen but his record since he took over has been laughable and the football they play is utterly rancid. They literally just hammer the ball as far down the pitch as they can while Cathro sits on the bench fiddling about with his laptop. The only small ray of sympathy I have for him is that he's having to work with Craig Levein.

Look out everyone, Kris Boyd's got a log in ;)

If we're vetoing managers on the basis of aesthetically appalling football then Karanka has to be struck off the list too.

Hope not, Neville is a halfwit. No proper knowledge.

Eh? I've always found his analysis to be pretty good, if a little negative. Seems to have a good knowledge and vision for the game and not just as a player.

If you want to hear or see halfwits watch any of the other bellends Sky have working for them and I include Carragher in that too. I think the best pundit I've seen is Bilic, especially when he wiped the floor with Hoddle at the Euros.

Eh? I've always found his analysis to be pretty good, if a little negative. Seems to have a good knowledge and vision for the game and not just as a player.

If you want to hear or see halfwits watch any of the other bellends Sky have working for them and I include Carragher in that too. I think the best pundit I've seen is Bilic, especially when he wiped the floor with Hoddle at the Euros.

Sousa did the punditry with Hoddle during the Portugal game mentioned, made Hoddle sound like a 5 year old, articulate and tactically informative verses tired cliche.

I've no doubt they're all better than Hoddle, Wright, Shearer, Jenas, Carragher and all of the other clowns people look to guidance on footballing matters for. I would confidently say I would make a better pundit than these idiots (that's not a high bar by the way).

People think Hoddle is a great footballing mind because superficially he sounds like he knows what he's on about, plus that's the narrative now, he's England's great lost manager, what could have been if he hadn't been sacked. When you examine what he says in any kind of detail then it's just the ramblings of a lunatic. He's wrong on virtually everything (he's a massive hypocrite too given what we know about how his teams play, and he goes and slates England or whoever for the exact same failings that he was continually guilty of as a manager).

He deserved to be sacked as England manager on footballing grounds let alone his nutbar, distasteful religious views (which he still won't take ownership of, nearly 20 years on, despite the verbatim quotes clearly showing him up for what he is).

I don't just slate him as a pundit because I personally dislike him, I do it because he talks fucking rot.

I've no doubt they're all better than Hoddle, Wright, Shearer, Jenas, Carragher and all of the other clowns people look to guidance on footballing matters for. I would confidently say I would make a better pundit than these idiots (that's not a high bar by the way).

I would agree with the above mentioned, hopeless, Sousa was another level.

Looks like Garry Monk isn't an option - he's about to extend his stay at Leeds.

Back