• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert Leaves Wolves

Reading and Huddersfield spent significantly less than £30m to go from lower mid table to play off finalists. If spent wisely and with a good manager £30m is a hell of a lot of money

Yep, but I'm sort of swayed by our record of recruitment in the last three or four years. I seriously think we need about eight players and we currently average about four hits out of about thirty five. The rest are crud ...

Thewell's record since we got promoted is pretty disastrous really. Afobe obviously worked out as we got a huge profit but other than that, has our squad strengthened other than Mendes signings?

I get that completely but we are allowed a £39M loss over three years. It means we possibly have two years to 'spend' and then if we don't get promotion the third rolling year means selling the assets. I suspect a big loss this season and a downturn in revenues next year. I estimate we've got £30M this season and then it's a balancing the books exercise next season if we don't go up and we're fucked if player values fall. Then again you're probably right they could spend sixty or seventy million, get promoted and take the hit. Will they do that? Not so sure - We need a lot of players. It's not a case of us doing what Jack Walker did - we simply do not have the spending power (relatively)

But you are not understanding depreciation of assets over contract length at all.

You spend millions on a player and then give him a five year deal (say) and those millions don't all come out up front and count toward a loss.

Thewell's record since we got promoted is pretty disastrous really. Afobe obviously worked out as we got a huge profit but other than that, has our squad strengthened other than Mendes signings?

Think Mendes can be a diamond for us but maybe we need a Gestifute UK arm in there as well. That I feel isn't Kevin Thelwell. The fact he hasn't been given the chop tells me Jeff Shi can't spot a dud when he sees one.

Think Mendes can be a diamond for us but maybe we need a Gestifute UK arm in there as well. That I feel isn't Kevin Thelwell. The fact he hasn't been given the chop tells me Jeff Shi can't spot a dud when he sees one.

I agree with sentence one. Celebrate sentence two and offer you a beer chug for it. Sentence three, I hope we are just in a waiting pattern.

But you are not understanding depreciation of assets over contract length at all.

You spend millions on a player and then give him a five year deal (say) and those millions don't all come out up front and count toward a loss.

No, I do but you are dealing with tangible costs. The loss this season will be massive. That realistically gives us another year of heavy spending then we are in balance the books mode. It's shit or bust. I reckon we can lose £20M next season to stay in line. I stand corrected on the figures. Yes we can spend £200M this season but if they don't get promoted you are in extreme fire-sale mode or you get a transfer embargo. Do you think FOSUN will fall in line or take a gamble???

But say we spend £30m on Carlos Kickaball, and give him a five year deal. That is £6m a year for loss purposes. And because the losses are measured over 3 years, he effectively only ever costs £18m for that calculation.

But say we spend £30m on Carlos Kickaball, and give him a five year deal. That is £6m a year for loss purposes. And because the losses are measured over 3 years, he effectively only ever costs £18m for that calculation.

But we made heavy losses last year so only next season counts. Know what you are saying but it's cumulative. In essence you get a two year shout of heavy spending.

But we made heavy losses last year so only next season counts. Know what you are saying but it's cumulative. In essence you get a two year shout of heavy spending.

Turning over players would be essential. Sell Costa for £25m would mean you could sign 5 x £10m players on 5 year deals and have zero hit on your P&L.

Sell Hause for £5m would mean we could sign another 5 x £5m players on 5 year deals with zero hit on P&L.

Agreed. In my opinion, Fosun did not cover themselves in glory in their first season at the club. Hopefully they put things right, but I am not convinced they will. Two poor managerial appointments and now they appear to be hesitant regarding Lambert's position. They need to clarify the situation.
Frank, my post was purely intended to highlight the ridiculous continuing use by people of full capital letters when spelling "Fosun" (the best jokes are always the ones you have to explain..)

I have no objection to the ownership, you're still very much in the minority there I'm afraid.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Frank, my post was purely intended to highlight the ridiculous continuing use by people of full capital letters when spelling "Fosun" (the best jokes are always the ones you have to explain..)

I have no objection to the ownership, you're still very much in the minority there I'm afraid.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Fair enough please accept my apologies.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

From Sky Sports Paper Talk:

Wolves are ready to make an official move for Jose Couceiro to become their next boss - with Paul Lambert's days numbered.

I think he has just been the easiest person for people to identify outside of the obvious, Karanka, Silva etc as a bit of a wildcard like Zenga was.

I have a bad feeling it's going to be Karanka..

The Sun story refers to first round interviews. Aren't Silva :worshippy: And Karanka :blah-sleeping1: also involved allegedly?

Having turned us down twice already, why would Silva be interested now?

Having turned us down twice already, why would Silva be interested now?

Unlike the other two times he'll now have full pre-season to implement what he wants. Hopefully we can sell the 'project' (vomit) to him. All highly unlikely of course.

I know nothing about Couciero. Would he be an appointment similar to Zenga?

Yep, if we were to appoint him you'd have a lot more people sharing your Fosun thoughts.

Back