• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Shit, moved on about three pages since I last looked, I thought something might be happening.
Lose the next three, maybe get something at Brentford so I’m guessing the Saturday night after the Palace game could be interesting.

Shit, moved on about three pages since I last looked, I thought something might be happening.
Lose the next three, maybe get something at Brentford so I’m guessing the Saturday night after the Palace game could be interesting.
Nah, will be all fine after the Palace game. We're writing off the first 9 until we can start rolling over everybody, starting with Palace.

Presumably we're going with the same tactic from Boxing Day until mid-February too

Something tells me we'll fluke a win. It won't be against City so maybe Brighton or Brentford - that will buy Gaz some more time.

We've played 17 league games since March.

We've conceded 2 or more in 12 of those games.

You simply aren't going to win many matches doing that.
Yes , but an added problem we now have is that we're not scoring enough either . Down to one goal most games . We're dominating matches for patches and not converting it into more than one goal . We're banjaxed then when the opposition turn the screw as they always tend to do .

Another thing - this idea that people have that Fosun will just hire another cheap option if they sack O' Neil .

I'm nor sure about that . Hiring an inexperienced / person with a poor record Manager will doom us to relegation . If Fosun want to sell us in the next two years , then we are far more valuable to them as a PL club than a Championship one - therefore I think they might well be willing to concede a lot in the short to medium term to ensure we stay up , by hiring experience .
If they do not want to sell us in the short term , then we will generate far less funds for them as a lower league club - therefore I think they'll act quickly and hire strongly .

Another thing - It's not just O'Neil who is inexperienced , his entire backroom team wouldn't overly excite you either . One comes with the other .

Whilst SJ is only -0.8. Both keepers we have played now have negative xG rates. So if we had a better keeper we'd potentially have more points.
Seriously, watch the six goals SJ has conceded. Only the Chris Wood header did he have a chance of saving, the others were either top bins, tap ins or wicked deflections. I don't care who's in goal, they ain't saving those.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you, Edwards is exactly who I would expect Jeff to replace O'Neil should he be sacked.

And it wouldn't work out.
It has Terry Connor written all over it.

Pele is the ultimate example surely? Possibly the best player ever but thick as mince
Wha? When I was 17, I was lucky enough to meet the man. He booked a table at my friend's Dad's Italian restaurant on the Kings road, so my pal and I just happened to be loitering lol...

Anyway, he was down to earth, friendly, charming and erudite. I shook his hand, we had a photo - sadly so sun damaged it could easily be Bruce Forsyth in the picture...

I asked "who's the greatest player you've shared a pitch with?" I still remember his answer (or three answers) he said;

"Carlos Alberto, Alfredo Di Stefano and of course Bobby Moore"

Maybe he was playing to the crowd with Bobby Moore, I dunno and I'd never heard of Di Stefano, but I read up on him the next morning in this lever arch mammoth of a sticker album I had from the 1990 World Cup (I forget who made it, but it's by far the best sticker album ever made - nearly completed it too).

"Thick as mince"? Fuck off.

Wha? When I was 17, I was lucky enough to meet the man. He booked a table at my friend's Dad's Italian restaurant on the Kings road, so my pal and I just happened to be loitering lol...

Anyway, he was down to earth, friendly, charming and erudite. I shook his hand, we had a photo - sadly so sun damaged it could easily be Bruce Forsyth in the picture...

I asked "who's the greatest player you've shared a pitch with?" I still remember his answer (or three answers) he said;

"Carlos Alberto, Alfredo Di Stefano and of course Bobby Moore"

Maybe he was playing to the crowd with Bobby Moore, I dunno and I'd never heard of Di Stefano, but I read up on him the next morning in this lever arch mammoth of a sticker album I had from the 1990 World Cup (I forget who made it, but it's by far the best sticker album ever made - nearly completed it too).

"Thick as mince"? Fuck off.
Oh and it was this...Screenshot_2024-09-23-14-37-19-50_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
Made by Orbis. It was outstanding.

Oh and it was this...View attachment 11736
Made by Orbis. It was outstanding.
Apparently it wasn't that. Di Stefano never played in a World Cup! I'm learning all about him again right now. I was bought so many books about football history as a kid, shelves full of them - as a result I only buy e-books these days.

Seriously, watch the six goals SJ has conceded. Only the Chris Wood header did he have a chance of saving, the others were either top bins, tap ins or wicked deflections. I don't care who's in goal, they ain't saving those.

A keeper has a role in a tap in. He doesn't take a great angle in the 3rd for the reasons I stated.

Look at the Raya save from the pen or the Kelleher save off the line, tremendous reaction saves that are probably comparable to the 2nd. It's not a goal every keeper let's in.

A keeper has a role in a tap in. He doesn't take a great angle in the 3rd for the reasons I stated.

Look at the Raya save from the pen or the Kelleher save off the line, tremendous reaction saves that are probably comparable to the 2nd. It's not a goal every keeper let's in.
Even bad GK's make great saves. The Raya save was brilliant but you don't do it without a huge dollop of luck.

From his recovery position he has to head to his left, there's no decision to make, he's then massively helped by the header coming towards him and not the post.

I thought the Atalanta GK's double save from open play was better myself.

Back