• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I think from watching and listening to gary and the players over the last year, that with a tiny bit of tinkering, and a lot of plain speaking, forest may get a backlash next week.
These boys are gonna be well pissed with themselves.
I have not seen any of that since last March . I'd love to see it , but it will take a lot of pretty intensive work and personnel changes to make that happen .
Dawson in , Semedo in , Cunha and Larson up front , back 5 and 3 in midfield with one of those sitting back .

I'm not saying that it is the shape that we should proceed with , but for now pragmatism trumps all .

A few boos from the crowd.
Am pretty sure ryan never knew, he never even met him during the game, ffs.
😂

Who's Ryan?

My point is that being all fired up, pissed off or 'angry' as Squeak said, is all well and good, but needle alone won't win you games. We had plenty of that in the first half yesterday

I have not seen any of that since last March . I'd love to see it , but it will take a lot of pretty intensive work and personnel changes to make that happen .
Dawson in , Semedo in , Cunha and Larson up front , back 5 and 3 in midfield with one of those sitting back .

I'm not saying that it is the shape that we should proceed with , but for now pragmatism trumps all .

We've been shitting our pants and reverting back to a back five periodically for years now.

You'd think playing a back four was some niche obscurity rather than the norm for most clubs

We've been shitting our pants and reverting back to a back five periodically for years now.

You'd think playing a back four was some niche obscurity rather than the norm for most clubs
I like how it's always "we can't play it".

Well when we had Conor Coady as a fixture in the team, Ryan Bennett on one side of the defence and Matt Doherty actually contributing in an attacking sense as a wing back (he has never ever been able to defend and never will) then yes, I agree. But it isn't 2018, is it. We have completely different players and to be honest, the game continually evolves so the landscape isn't even the same. What exactly is "we" here?

Keep clutching for that comfort blanket though.

We've just lost 6-2 at home, it's not a comfort blanket, it's a necessity until we get players in that suit a 4 better.

We'd have lost anyway.

How does five at the back stop us "marking" like this off a corner, after 90 seconds?

Chelsea2.png

Doherty doesn't suit the Premier League, more like. Unless it's the Welsh Premier League.

I could buy it if we looked good at the back with an extra centre half but we absolutely don't. The manager sets us up to be extremely open regardless. How many clean sheets did we keep last season?

Doherty comments :sleep: but you're agreeing surely? He isn't good enough, but he's more suited to RWB than RB?

We scored more goals in a Prem season than ever before last season too? Correct or very close?

Look, 5 isn't perfect, but given our personel at the moment, 4 is suicide. We've been so fucking naive setting up and continuing to set up with a 4 with what we have to pick from.

For a start it's clear to see for everyone that RAN can't play LB (at least at the moment, at best)

I don't think we have an appreciably better chance against Forest or Newcastle by scuttling back to a formation which has largely been shite for Wolves for four years.

We might stand a better chance if we don't empty midfield, don't have full backs running into nonsense areas, get the wide players to actually track back, pay any heed whatsoever to retaining possession, don't have a complete emptyhead in goal and mark properly off set pieces.

None of that has anything to do with our formation.

We stood a better chance against Arsenal and Chelsea and why the negative vibe with "scuttling" it's not negative playing 3/5 as I said we scored plenty of goals with it last season.

Switching to 4 after a couple of brave defeats would have been far better psychologically, instead we're suffering from PTSD defensively now.

3 out of the 4 weren't/aren't suitable.

It's been a poor decision by GON.

It absolutely is negative though, you act as if I didn't watch us play Forest at home last season.

It causes just as many issues as you think it solves (but evidence says that Gary O'Neil teams just concede a lot of goals, it's what they do).

For the record Gary O'Neil has managed 74 Premier League games and his teams have kept 13 clean sheets.

And one of those was against a Bruno Lage team.

It absolutely is negative though, you act as if I didn't watch us play Forest at home last season.

It causes just as many issues as you think it solves (but evidence says that Gary O'Neil teams just concede a lot of goals, it's what they do).
I've seen it be slow and stodgy, yes, many times, we've often still picked up points in those games as well though.

I've seen it offer us solidity and a good basis to counter attack against the better sides many times too.

We've had this chat before, I don't understand why we can't set up with 3/5 against Arsenal away or City at home (for example) but then with 4atb for say Forest at home. It's really disappointing that we have to stick to one formation.

But regardless right at this moment we only have Semedo and Mosquera who can play in a 4, and obviously Semedo has been suspended.

I've seen it be slow and stodgy, yes. But I've seen it offer us solidity and a good basis to counter attack against the better sides.

We've had this chat before, I don't understand why we can't set up with 3/5 against Arsenal away or City at home (for example) but then with 4atb for say Forest at home. It's really disappointing that we have to stick to one formation.

But regardless right at this moment we only have Semedo and Mosquera who can play in a 4, and obviously Semedo has been suspended.
I mean ultimately we just don't have enough players of the required quality, which is neither a formation nor a manager issue.

For the record Gary O'Neil has managed 74 Premier League games and his teams have kept 13 clean sheets.

And one of those was against a Bruno Lage team.
His goal per game ratio in the Prem is the highest for Wolves though presumably?

Back