• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

His goal per game ratio in the Prem is the highest for Wolves though presumably?
Dave Jones: 38 goals in 38 games (1.00 GPG)
Mick McCarthy: 106 goals in 101 games (1.05 GPG)
Terry Connor: 12 goals in 13 games (0.92 GPG)
Nuno Espirito Santo: 134 goals in 114 games (1.18 GPG)
Bruno Lage: 42 goals in 46 games (0.91 GPG)
Steve Davis: 5 goals in 7 games (0.71 GPG)
Julen Lopetegui: 23 goals in 22 games (1.05 GPG)
Gary O'Neil: 52 goals in 40 games (1.30 GPG)

Pre-Raul injury Nuno comes out as 107 in 84 (not counting the actual Arsenal game as he went off at 0-0) = 1.27 GPG

Our 51 in 2019/20 is still our highest in a season, we were one goal shy of matching it last season

I will never know how people defend him.

Look at it FFS. Two fucking goals in eight games. And this wasn't even our worst run of results under him.

View attachment 11431
The people that defend him blame Fosun for not backing him these are generally the same bunch who defend how they’re running the club currently.
Very much a shrug your shoulders attitude from some of ours and they think we’ve got no choice but to be run in this way.

But it is 9 points, which is the important thing and in 8 games, only 4 goals scored against us. We played Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea in those 8 games too.
It was some of the worst football known to man.

Whatever I was paying at the time (a lot), you could offer me double that back and I wouldn't want to watch those games again. He was an atrocious manager on every conceivable level.

it’s old ground and irrelevant now but the first 3 games certain fans massively overrated the performances, they were all average v average sides and we lost end off.
Lage was supposed to bring a more attacking style but once he realised he was under pressure he went back to pragmatism on steroids and stuck with it. Did the job that Nuno could have done with his eyes shut.
It’s no coincidence that the more we moved away from the Nuno era the more disorganised we looked. He caused long lasting damage which we’re still picking up the pieces off now. Completely sucked all energy out the club and bombed out players who’d served us well.
Look at the total inability to react to an in game situation v Leeds at home when going down to 10 men.
Complete mess v BHA at home, non descriptive efforts v Burnley and Norwich and a public flogging of a player post Palace at home.

Who's Ryan?

My point is that being all fired up, pissed off or 'angry' as Squeak said, is all well and good, but needle alone won't win you games. We had plenty of that in the first half yesterday
Ryan ffs pavlos, i meant ait nouri.
I also want them being angry with themselves not on card spree against forest.

Yikes.

On the one hand it's good he's identified it but then you'd think this mythical preseason he talks about would do the same thing.

One the other, what must the players think? He comes across as a bit clueless and knows he's going to get the boot shortly.

Yikes.

On the one hand it's good he's identified it but then you'd think this mythical preseason he talks about would do the same thing.

One the other, what must the players think? He comes across as a bit clueless and knows he's going to get the boot shortly.
I’m on the other side of the spectrum when it comes to GoN than you are, but even I agree.

He’s had all pre season to work with the players. Losing kilman and Neto won’t have affected how we play to a great extent, so it’s not as if he’s planned all pre season then had the team broken up.

It is concerning he’s only just realising it but his own admission. Probably best just not to say it.

Better than persevering with something out of pure stubborness I guess

Giving him a little bit of slack, perhaps he thought that the system could work with a couple of additions and it's now dawned on him that they aren't coming?

Giving him a little bit of slack, perhaps he thought that the system could work with a couple of additions and it's now dawned on him that they aren't coming?
Maybe, but that's wishing on lottery numbers behaviour surely?

Yeah, it's naïve, but he'd only been lied to on one previous window, so I wouldn't kill him for it. Seems like his eyes have been opened now, but he's been paid off to behave

His system won’t work unless we sign 2016 N’Golo Kante.

His system won’t work unless we sign 2016 N’Golo Kante.
Elements of it are system, elements personnel. Pretty clear from his post match comments that RAN's instructions on Sunday weren't to disappear off into midfield and completely vacate the left back position. Neither do I think Lemina and particularly Gomes were told to get dragged all over the pitch and lose any semblance of shape in the middle. Equally you are putting too much on them and the centre halves in the first place

Back