• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

They'll try the Lopetegui approach again if we're struggling late Autumn, except this time someone of that ilk won't come having witnessed that episode. I don't think the squad is bad enough to be relegated, but how many relegated sides have said that before.

So they replace GON, don't back the new head coach either, rinse and repeat? The way they lost today sucked but their fixtures for first 2 months sucks, I don't think a fair assessment can be made before November.

It’s the premier league and you’re judged regardless of fixtures you can’t just turn the tap in November because it gets easier.
Today was absolutely a prime fixture we should’ve been looking to pick at least a point.

They'll try the Lopetegui approach again if we're struggling late Autumn, except this time someone of that ilk won't come having witnessed that episode. I don't think the squad is bad enough to be relegated, but how many relegated sides have said that before.

Any new manager doesn't get the World Cup break either. It can't be stressed how much that aided Lopetegui.

Of course, it would rely on Shi getting the replacement correct at the first time of asking too and I don't trust him to run a bath much less a Premier League football club.

I think they'd go after Rob Edwards, and it'd end up getting dragged out for weeks on end.

There’s every possibility nobody even half decent would want to manage us due to the way we’re run, so you’d be employing someone wanting a last payday, somebody we’ve never heard of from Slovenia league 2, or more likely whoever uncle Jorge has that needs a job, or Lampard/gerrard

Hobbs would go to his little pocket book of English managers, under the section “unemployed”. Doubt it would be Moyes as he’d be too expensive. Lampard would throw his hat in the ring or we could go for the “experience” of Steve Bruce…

It’s the premier league and you’re judged regardless of fixtures you can’t just turn the tap in November because it gets easier.
Today was absolutely a prime fixture we should’ve been looking to pick at least a point.
Dunno, think it's rather reductive to just slap the "sack coach" button on a bad loss and expect that to change things, especially when the bigger picture (hard start to season, undermining) is so well known and discussed. But you're right, it does describe English football and the molasses it's stuck in from the attitude of the average fan to the media etc.

Apologies if it`s already been posted.

He’s certainly got himself a set of footballers teeth.

There’s every possibility nobody even half decent would want to manage us due to the way we’re run, so you’d be employing someone wanting a last payday, somebody we’ve never heard of from Slovenia league 2, or more likely whoever uncle Jorge has that needs a job, or Lampard/gerrard

Uncle George, usually only gives you one of his managers, if you are going to buy his players.

I’m not in the O’Neil out camp. However the slump is definite cause for worry. Usually I would say last season doesn’t have much of a bearing as it’s a new season etc, but so quite often if a team ends the season strongly, they start the next strongly, and vice versa. We only have to look at Mr Lage for example.

I get what he means by individual errors having a large effect, and sometimes as a manager/coach that’s not on you, but the fact we are so open, whether we have a back 3 or 4, is down to how we set up.

Yesterday we could’ve been 4/5 2 up at half time. Equally we could’ve been 4-2 down. You shouldn’t be having games like that, when there’s 0 control at this stage of season, especially in the first half.

My one big concern, which is entirely on Gary, is RAN was getting destroyed first half. Surely there should’ve been a change there, whether in shape or personnel. But it was ignored. That does give me some cause for concern.

There are still some positives we can take from that game (well first half). Looks like we finally have a number 9, and him and Cunha seem to link up well.

Huge game next week

Not being yootist, but we could really (also) do with someone more experienced to shore us up when Dawson is broken.

With hwang being as ineffective as he was yesterday, and first half Cunha and Larsen being as effective as they were, 352 could be the way? We had a decent amount of success with Jota/Raul as the front 2?

All for the extra attacking player, but if that extra attacking player his hwang on the right, then what’s the point?

Appreciate its not as simple as that, as we were pretty open last year too

Maybe I'm just old fashioned , but I was never comfortable with O'Neil's appearances in the football chat shows last season after a few good performances ( what was the show called...football talk ? ) .
It kind of came across as if he was some kind of tactical genius who the football world needed to hear speaking .
How many other Managers do that ?
Listen , he speaks well and comes across as a decent individual overall , but just do the media stuff that you're contracted to do and leave it at that . He knows full well that his position is fragile - as with all PL managers in that lower mid table section .
Form for all those teams is temporary and usually only last for say 5/6 games and then you get an injury/suspension and teams carve their way through you .
He'll struggle to pull the team out of this hole with the fixtures we have .

I think from watching and listening to gary and the players over the last year, that with a tiny bit of tinkering, and a lot of plain speaking, forest may get a backlash next week.
These boys are gonna be well pissed with themselves.

With hwang being as ineffective as he was yesterday, and first half Cunha and Larsen being as effective as they were, 352 could be the way? We had a decent amount of success with Jota/Raul as the front 2?

All for the extra attacking player, but if that extra attacking player his hwang on the right, then what’s the point?

Appreciate its not as simple as that, as we were pretty open last year too
If we were going to have a front two, I'd rather play *...gulp...* a 4-4-2

Not sure we should though, but understand your thinking.

If we were going to have a front two, I'd rather play *...gulp...* a 4-4-2

Not sure we should though, but understand your thinking.
We played sort of 4-4-2 under Lopetegui

----------------------Sa---------------------

Semedo--------Dawson-----Kilman------Toti

Nunes---------Neves------Lemina------AN Other Wide Player*

----------------Costa------Hwang---------------

*All of Podence, Sarabia, Adama and Neto used on and off

I think from watching and listening to gary and the players over the last year, that with a tiny bit of tinkering, and a lot of plain speaking, forest may get a backlash next week.
Hope you are right. They need to be angry and they need to show they can do much much better.

You can talk about formations all day long , and which one that O'Neil should go with given the players at his disposal , but before you start discussing with all the players what shape you propose to use , you must first and foremost ensure that the art of basic defending is not forgotton . Don't leave holes or space that you cannot fill .

It dates back 150 years , but is as relevant today as it was back then .

What is the plan re defending if you play a high line and lose possession ? We seemed to be very unsure yesterday .

I think Nuno tried it one night against the Hammers ( a high line ) , and we got thrashed . It wasn't seen again for a while .

Hopefully it works better than the backlash against Madueke did yesterday

Back