• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Seems to me like more people on here are (at least a little) unconvinced about GON than on social media, where it seems almost universally positive towards him?

Seems to me like more people on here are (at least a little) unconvinced about GON than on social media, where it seems almost universally positive towards him?
The wider fanbase never really turned against Lage despite us being demonstrably fucking shite all the time and him having the personal appeal of bin juice.

Who knows how their minds work.

Then often the opinions of the Wolves Twitter crowd are often (rightly) ridiculed on here.

I am very much in the unconvinced camp. He started poorly then improved markedly before finishing (over 3 months and counting) appallingly.

Jury very much out for me. Not saying I'd have sacked him in May but if the club had announced a parting of the ways no shits would be given by me, I'd have been quite pleased.

I still don't see what we have achieved by giving him a new contract. If a Premier League job came available now I wouldn't expect anyone to be knocking on our door for GO.

Let's see how it unfolds, hopefully he shows it was a wise move.

No-ones getting sacked early given our start. He'll get until at least Christmas.

No-ones getting sacked early given our start. He'll get until at least Christmas.
He won't though if it goes really badly. If we don't win any games at all out of the first 9 then he'd get sacked, and that's the end of October. He'd be on 1 win from 19 games and we'd be bottom or close to bottom of the league.

It doesn’t really matter who we have in charge - if they’re not backed by the board, the end result will be the same.

We had an elite manager in JL and he walked because of ambition. Another top manager would not take our job for the same reasons.

There’s a good reason GON is in charge at Wolves.

It’s not because he’s “young and upcoming” or “one for the future” it’s because he’s cheap, willing to take the job with minimal fuss and wouldn’t get a better job anywhere else in a million years.

I think we all know what happens when you pay peanuts.

For reference we got 12 points from the corresponding 9 games last season.

To justify getting a new deal then he should be at least aiming for similar. If we're running at <1PPG by that stage then we're in trouble.

We’ve got just as much chance beating Chelsea or Newcastle at home as we have Palace tbh.

When you’ve got a bottom third squad and ambition then there’s not actually that many easy games, particularly when everyone in that group outside the promoted sides is pretty evenly matched.

Like most middle to bottom half teams, if we play 100% to our ability we'll have a chance in most games.

Obviously having inferior players to the top 6 means if your players drop below that standard in these games then you'll inevitably get beat.

This place is considerably more negative about all things Wolves then the general Wolves follower though isn't it?
I don't know about negative.

Much less likely to readily swallow whatever crap the club do and say (there's a lot of it), and more likely to call out shite results/performances, I'll grant you.

This place is considerably more negative about all things Wolves then the general Wolves follower though isn't it?

I think it's more 'negative' on here post-Nuno more than anything (and not without reason, multiple reasons in fact).

During the initial Nuno seasons I remember being over-critical was very much frowned upon?

I don't know about negative.

Much less likely to readily swallow whatever crap the club do and say (there's a lot of it), and more likely to call out shite results/performances, I'll grant you.
Certainly agree with the second paragraph.

But since the friendly yesterday there's been a lot of chatter about how long GON will last, a suggestion that we won't win in the first 9 games, and a couple of people have said GON should have been sacked last November!

Seems pretty negative to me?

a suggestion that we won't win in the first 9 games
Tbf I didn't say that. I said if we didn't then he'd probably get sacked, in response to Bear saying that he has a complete free hit until Christmas because the fixtures are hard. He doesn't have that.

I didn't mean he had a free hit, I meant the club will take into account the tough start when we come to the end of that runnand wouldn't sack him if it didn't go well.

Obviously the following winnable fixtures will be much more scrutinised.

Back