• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

He should definitely be among the contenders IMO. You don't have to be particularly tactically innovative to coach International football as long as you have your finger on the pulse of what others are doing, which I think O'Neil does.

He's also someone who current players can relate to which I think is important for an England manager and he comes across very well in the media which is obviously something the FA will consider important.

There are better candidates but not that many really (if you're limiting yourself to English coaches).

Yeah, pretty much. If you were asked to list 10 replacements, with the proviso that they're English (or English enough, in the case of Carsley or McKenna, and perhaps you might include the likes of Brodge as he's spent most of his career in England, Cooper too), then he'd have to get on the list. Wouldn't take too many above him to say no or be prohibitively expensive and he'd have to start coming into the conversation by default.

Thinking about it can you even get to 10, without picking joke candidates...

Howe
Potter
Carsley
O'Neil
Rodgers
McKenna
Cooper
Carrick
Edwards

I'm struggling after that (and Carrick is largely there through name recognition and cutting his coaching teeth at Man Utd at this stage). You're into the realms of those who obviously wouldn't get it (Dyche, Robins), the plainly finished (Bruce, Pardew, Redknapp etc) or the widely discredited (Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard).

O'Neil also has a history of improving sides.

He saved Bournemouth from the drop, and turned us from boring low scorers to a decent attacking side, even without an out and out striker. England need to unlock the attacking players and score more goals. I think someone like GON would be a good contender for that.

I think the main attribute a coach needs to manage England with the squad it has it talent management more that tactics. That and being able to deal with the media/fan circus.

Is odd, but we’re seemingly all in on him as this future master coach.

Means nothing if we’re bottom after 10 games anyway. Just means he’d get more money in compensation
That would be a worse run than Lage and he'd rightly get the boot.

Way too early but that seems the norm.

Maybe we're wary of England coming calling if we have a good season and Carsley is a bust.

It’s very possible we’re in the bottom 3 after 10 games given our fixtures, I don’t think it would necessarily mean he should get sacked though depending on the context of it.

He steadied the ship when things were very toxic at Wolves, at the beginning of last season.

It’s very possible we’re in the bottom 3 after 10 games given our fixtures, I don’t think it would necessarily mean he should get sacked though depending on the context of it.

If we don't win many before the end of October he'll be on a shocking run

I think we'll be OK but he doesn't get to totally write off everything after March and we do need points

Maybe we're wary of England coming calling if we have a good season and Carsley is a bust.
Was thinking this? Not saying he’s currently in the running but if he has a really good season or 6 months and Carsley is interim then we’d be in a position for compo?

Wouldn’t be suprised if there’s clauses in the contract that if he doesn’t perform then he will be gone and maybe not whole contract due?

I couldn’t bear it. But I reckon the quotes on the website are taken from that

Was thinking this? Not saying he’s currently in the running but if he has a really good season or 6 months and Carsley is interim then we’d be in a position for compo?

Wouldn’t be suprised if there’s clauses in the contract that if he doesn’t perform then he will be gone and maybe not whole contract due?

There'll always be break clauses in there

Back