• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I didn't mean he had a free hit, I meant the club will take into account the tough start when we come to the end of that runnand wouldn't sack him if it didn't go well.

Obviously the following winnable fixtures will be much more scrutinised.
I don't think they would, he'd get sacked.

You can't go on a run of 1 win in 19 games.

That’s just sport, O’Neil should expect that a run like that would see him binned even if we played Real Madrid every time.

Points are points; don’t get them for long enough and you’re out. Simples.

I don't think they would, he'd get sacked.

You can't go on a run of 1 win in 19 games.
I've already qualified above I said the end of the run until the start of November, which is 9 games.

Yes. We are on 1 win in 10.

If we win none of those 9 games we will 100% be in the bottom three and on 1 win in 19. Which bit am I missing here?

Sorry I didn't realise you were arbitrarily counting last season too.

Nah it starts afresh. The end of last season was a washout that wasn't the manager's fault IMO.

Nah it starts afresh. The end of last season was a washout that wasn't the manager's fault IMO.
I remember exactly the same conversation with you about Lage. How did taking shit form from one season into the next go for him?

If we lose 9 of the first 10 he’s in trouble regardless, surely.

Agreed but I don't think they'd pull the trigger necessarily. It's unlikely we'd be on only 3 points after 9 games any way.

It's not arbitrary and it does count.

For the record I'm not saying we won't win any of those games. I think we'll win at least two and that's erring on the pessimistic side. But if we don't and our penultimate league win was in fucking March, he'll go. That's all.

Why are we even having this discussion?

If he wins 9 out of 10 he'll probably get the Man U job too, what's the point?

We'll probably pick up one or two wins in that batch of tough games, I'd say that's the most likely outcome if you at things objectively?

Why are we even having this discussion?

If he wins 9 out of 10 he'll probably get the Man U job too, what's the point?

We'll probably pick up one or two wins in that batch of tough games, I'd say that's the most likely outcome if you at things objectively?
Football fans in discussing possible outcomes shocker?

Agreed but I don't think they'd pull the trigger necessarily. It's unlikely we'd be on only 3 points after 9 games any way.

Shi would push his grandmother in front of a bus if they thought their precious TV money was under threat.

I think with people paying stupid money, there will be less patience if things don't go well on the pitch and/or they see the team being let down by transfer policy.

I can see O'Neil going whether he deserves it or not.

Saying it will happen is negative, I don’t think anybody did. Just stated what would happen if that were the case.
Good old J75 was saying he'll be sacked by November..that's negative, course it is.

(He made the same prediction last year too)

Anyway, overall point was TWF is more negative than the rest of the general Fanbase. And it is, obviously so.

Where else can you find discussions about how soon GON might be sacked?

Good old J75 was saying he'll be sacked by November..that's negative, course it is.

(He made the same prediction last year too)

Anyway, overall point was TWF is more negative than the rest of the general Fanbase. And it is, obviously so.

Where else can you find discussions about how soon GON might be sacked?
When you said “the discussion is about the worst possible outcome” I just presumed you were referencing the conversation between Deutsch and Bear. Johnny just doesn’t think he’s good enough, I’m pretty sure there are hundreds of fans of all clubs bar a select few who think like that. Is it negative? Possibly. But why should everyone ignore their opinions and look on the bright side “just because”?

And this place probably is more negative because it tends to analyse and be critical of the club. For the most part people on here don’t just suck up any old shit the club throw out or ignore bad runs of form and the reasons behind them and I much prefer that. Just because some people are prepared to take a more analytical approach in the way they support their club doesn’t automatically make them negative, I mean has anything Deutsch has said today been wrong? No.

And I don’t know where else you’d find discussions on GON getting sacked but it’s not exclusive to here. And I’m referring to conversations at work for one so no I can’t link them.

But why should everyone ignore their opinions and look on the bright side “just because”?
I'm not saying any opinion should be ignored? I just think there are more people on here who expect a more negative outcome than a positive one. Optimism is always pretty low on here, and at times I've very much been a part of that.

It swings about a lot though, it feels like yesterday's performance has dipped positivity quite a bit from where it was a week ago, I don't think a friendly defeat in a stodgy game should have that much of an impact personally. Particularly when GON has himself said it wasn't good enough, I'd be far more worried had he thought it was a good performance. Our other pre season performances were pretty good too?

I do think saying stuff like "he'll be sacked by November" is overly negative though, it's an opinion, of course. But it's one that was wrong 12 months ago too, so it's surprising to see it again. Maybe it's a hope more than an expectation at this stage.

Last edited:
I’d never take friendlies into the equation when it comes to form personally, that’s daft. At most you can see how the manager wants to set up for the coming season, and that’s open for critical analysis definitely, but they have little to no bearing on league form.

But we’re in a similar position to when Lage finished the season absolutely abysmally and should have gone (it’s too early to say that about GON in my opinion, he’s a far cry from that complete bellface), if GON does happen to have a dreadful start to the season how long do the board back him? It’s too early in his career for anyone to know for a fact he’ll turn it around and we’ve seen what holding onto a manager in severe decline can do to you. Again it’s all hypothetical but it is a possibility, I don’t see a problem with people discussing that. It may all be a moot point and we storm out of the gates and all that discussion dies a death but at the moment I don’t think having those conversations is without some merit. Hopefully he has us firing on all cylinders and winning games as ultimately that’s what all Wolves fans want. And lower prices!

Last edited:
Back