• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I know we’ve been here before but this calendar year we’ve notched 19 points.
W5 D4 L17 averages to 28 points in a season.
At home played 13 W3 D0 L10
Away played 13 W2 D4 L7
GS 30 Ga 55 GD -25
No win in 11 games
5 straight home defeats
1 win in 18
Just 2 clean sheets and none in 21 games (25/02/24) to be precise.
2 of those wins were v sides that no longer play in the PL.
Fair to say this year has been a disaster so far.
It’s not all on GON the complete no interest in investment by the board in January contributes heavily to the situation as does the squad unbalanced by Hobbs and co.

We're currently at 0.14ppg so your maths is nonsense.
Which would obviously see us relegated. Meanwhile three places above us (the right side of the dotted line) Ipswich are averaging 0.5ppg. as it stands every team beneath them (including us) would be relegated.

My maths is not nonsense, it's factually correct. Not an opinion, just an indisputable fact.

So by that token, 20 points would keep you up. Hooray, we're not that far off.

Back in the real world of course you aren't staying up on 30 points or fewer, it won't happen.

So by that token, 20 points would keep you up. Hooray, we're not that far off.

Back in the real world of course you aren't staying up on 30 points or fewer, it won't happen.
Time will tell I guess but I reckon the team who finish 17th won't need anywhere near 40 points which is often the target.

I can see three teams getting 30 points or less though, one of them unfortunately may be Wolves.

They'll sack O'Neil on Dec. 31st and then use his payout as the reason we can't sign anyone.

Points of teams in 18th

23/24 - 26
22/23 - 34
21/22 - 35
20/21 - 28
19/20 - 34
18/19 - 34
17/18 - 33
16/17 - 34
15/16 - 37
14/15 - 35

Twice in the last 10 seasons, its landed where 30 would keep you up. In both of those seasons, the team finishing 17th have been 10 points or so clear of the drop (or would have been, if not for point deduction for Forest)

Generally it's around 35 to survive, 40 not been needed for ages. I wouldn't be banking on getting 30 points to survive. Ipswich and Saints will struggle to hit 30, but Palace will comfortably and the likes of Everton and Leicester are already tracking at a point per game. It won't be 3 teams less than 30 this year unless it's us with Saints and Ipswich. We aren't staying up with 30 - no chance

Points of teams in 18th

23/24 - 26
22/23 - 34
21/22 - 35
20/21 - 28
19/20 - 34
18/19 - 34
17/18 - 33
16/17 - 34
15/16 - 37
14/15 - 35

Twice in the last 10 seasons, its landed where 30 would keep you up. In both of those seasons, the team finishing 17th have been 10 points or so clear of the drop (or would have been, if not for point deduction for Forest)

Generally it's around 35 to survive, 40 not been needed for ages. I wouldn't be banking on getting 30 points to survive. Ipswich and Saints will struggle to hit 30, but Palace will comfortably and the likes of Everton and Leicester are already tracking at a point per game. It won't be 3 teams less than 30 this year unless it's us with Saints and Ipswich. We aren't staying up with 30 - no chance
Twice in the last four seasons though. What happened four seasons ago seems a little more pertinent than ten seasons.

In any case we all seem agreed it won't take 40 points or even 1ppg, which is nice because it doesn't look like we'll get it.

Assuming he gets the first two and fails to get sufficient points then gets sacked... we still have to find a replacement. We may well be burning through our supposedly winnable fixtures on a caretaker while we fail to replace someone who showed months ago he wasn't up to it. Shi has done two mid-season replacements and neither were quick.
I'm hoping we are already in that process.

I noticed yesterday that Derry was the one most giving out instruction and the players were listening to him.

At one point GoN was giving an instruction to Dawson and he just put his arms out as if to say 'how?'

Noticeable that Derry came up to the SB on his own and clapped the crowd. I think he may be off to Cardiff this week.

Twice in the last four seasons though. What happened four seasons ago seems a little more pertinent than ten seasons.
Twice in the last three seasons it hasn't been less than 30. We can spin this either way we like

I'm hoping we are already in that process.

I noticed yesterday that Derry was the one most giving out instruction and the players were listening to him.

At one point GoN was giving an instruction to Dawson and he just put his arms out as if to say 'how?'

Noticeable that Derry came up to the SB on his own and clapped the crowd. I think he may be off to Cardiff this week.
It was noticeably different behavior from Derry. Given the non Wolves colours on his tracksuit, for a second I thought a City staff member was taking the piss with what looked like an exaggerated clap.

33% isn't particularly low.
It's a lot lower than 66.6% though 😉

Discounting us, I can't see another 3 sides that get less than 30 points. Saints and Ipswich - fine. Not sure who the third is if it isn't us.

I'd also suggest that 2020/21 season is a bit of a asterisk season. No fans, so the bottom sides don't get that boost from fans etc at home games so maybe a reason for lower than normal points

Well that was an… ‘interesting’ read with my morning coffee.

Firstly, I hope Glasgow offers DW (and everyone else for having to read through that absolute nonsense) a hand of apology this morning. I went out on Saturday evening with pals & had 6-7 pints - but as an actual adult (maybe not in stature but in mind 😉) I can tell when I’ve had enough. What I don’t think is a good idea is to log on here & start telling people to “FUCK OFF”. Sort yourself out please, my friend.

Anyway, on the actual topic of football… has anyone actually seen our fixture list post Christmas?

Man Utd, Spurs, Forest, Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa & Liverpool.

So as soon as we’re through this “winnable” set of fixtures we’re straight in to that. Are we honestly supposed to believe O’Neil is the right man to magically wave a wand and have us picking up enough wins over the next couple of months before that run then kicks in? Because I would argue confidence within the group is already dented and then you’ve got a manager who hasn’t won a game in the best part of 6 months.

It’s just not going to happen - and that’s even before you ignore the fact we’ve always struggled in those games & have traditionally picked up a few ‘shock’ wins along the way - something this squad with this manager in charge are not capable of.

We’re going down. To me, this is another example of Jeff Shi thinking he knows more than everyone else and we’ll be “just fine”. No Jeff. We are getting relegated unless you swallow some pride - which I know you are not capable of you unfathomable cockwomble.

Winning breeds confidence? If, by some miracle, we have a successful period pre Xmas, the team will be better equipped psychologically to perform better against the big boys post Xmas.

Well that was an… ‘interesting’ read with my morning coffee.

Firstly, I hope Glasgow offers DW (and everyone else for having to read through that absolute nonsense) a hand of apology this morning. I went out on Saturday evening with pals & had 6-7 pints - but as an actual adult (maybe not in stature but in mind 😉) I can tell when I’ve had enough. What I don’t think is a good idea is to log on here & start telling people to “FUCK OFF”. Sort yourself out please, my friend.

Anyway, on the actual topic of football… has anyone actually seen our fixture list post Christmas?

Man Utd, Spurs, Forest, Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa & Liverpool.

So as soon as we’re through this “winnable” set of fixtures we’re straight in to that. Are we honestly supposed to believe O’Neil is the right man to magically wave a wand and have us picking up enough wins over the next couple of months before that run then kicks in? Because I would argue confidence within the group is already dented and then you’ve got a manager who hasn’t won a game in the best part of 6 months.

It’s just not going to happen - and that’s even before you ignore the fact we’ve always struggled in those games & have traditionally picked up a few ‘shock’ wins along the way - something this squad with this manager in charge are not capable of.

We’re going down. To me, this is another example of Jeff Shi thinking he knows more than everyone else and we’ll be “just fine”. No Jeff. We are getting relegated unless you swallow some pride - which I know you are not capable of you unfathomable cockwomble.

By the logic of some of our fans post Xmas day becomes a period of starvation again.
Therefore we would need around 18-19 points between now and then to give ourselves a chance.
Realistically I think will be sat on about 11-12 points come Xmas day heading into the tough set of fixtures.
It’s the turning the taps on and off again stuff that’s just ridiculous.
To add to the points total argument no team has ever come 17th achieving less than 34 points. Forest would have 34 bar points docking. 17th is the focus as that’s the minimum standard required each year.

By the logic of some of our fans post Xmas day becomes a period of starvation again.
Therefore we would need around 18-19 points between now and then to give ourselves a chance.
Realistically I think will be sat on about 11-12 points come Xmas day heading into the tough set of fixtures.
It’s the turning the taps on and off again stuff that’s just ridiculous.
To add to the points total argument no team has ever come 17th achieving less than 34 points. Forest would have 34 bar points docking. 17th is the focus as that’s the minimum standard required each year.
Yeah about that, maybe 15-16 points by the end of the year, with the hope we won't be as bad in the following set of fixtures as we have been so far. I'm not very hopeful.

Back