• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Two ways to read it:

1) Johnstone is clearly the #1, one game from Sa doesn't change that

2) The on-record messaging has always been (even if we as fans didn't believe it to be true) that there's a competition for the #1 shirt. So this needn't be a big step or a formal changing of the guard, we'll do as we always planned which is to pick whichever one is in better form, which is now Sa

Hopefully it's Option 2.
*sits down with a cuppa. Starts to read a post from Deutsch about Sa....takes sip as he suggests Sa should remain in goal for the next match...*
1000013077.gif

What next, Doc to start at RB...

I took it to mean Sa was keeping the shirt but most others feel its the opposite.
If Gary puts Johnstone back in cos he thinks he's better than Sa, then he deserves the sack just for that.
If he's being told by the hierarchy he must play Johnstone whatever his form, then Gary should tell them to shove their job and walk.
I'm very disappointed with the stuff on Larsen, he's been one the better stories this season, (obviously a low bar) runs his bollocks off, has done well imo. He may well need to improve his fitness but keep that stuff between yourself and the player Gary.

I'm very disappointed with the stuff on Larsen, he's been one the better stories this season, (obviously a low bar) runs his bollocks off, has done well imo. He may well need to improve his fitness but keep that stuff between yourself and the player Gary.
3 in 8 games, Raul started off with 3 in 14 (and one of the goals was a penalty).

Maybe if we tried keeping the ball a bit and getting players closer to him then he wouldn't spend 65 minutes endlessly chasing lost causes and tiring himself out.

3 in 8 games, Raul started off with 3 in 14 (and one of the goals was a penalty).

Maybe if we tried keeping the ball a bit and getting players closer to him then he wouldn't spend 65 minutes endlessly chasing lost causes and tiring himself out.
Yep, also I think aside from the goals and assists we look better balanced up front with him there, he's a real presence and his hold up play is decent.
I actually thought Cunha was quite poor yesterday, apart from a couple of instances. It felt to me like if he'd got closer to Larsen we'd have kept the ball a bit better when we broke out.

There were long stretches in the game when the referee was the closest person to the Man City keeper. Cunha and Larsen spent quite a lot of time quite close to each other but deep in our own half. If we had left one of them in the centre circle doing some knitting, it would have at least forced City to keep one of their defenders back. Cunha and Larsen effectively had to run 20 yards to get themselves near the half way line.

We set up not to concede, we conceded twice and it could have been more. Yes, we did restrict City to a point but that was due to there being a mass of players rather than any tactical nous...we often put two players (Semedo and Gomes) on Doku which kept him relatively quiet, but failed to pick up the free man who scored.

And we conceded from a set piece again.

Not being hammered is hardly a glowing endorsement of our performance. If we were a league one side, then plaudits would have been well deserved. I also don't think when your main attacking players spend most of the game just in front of the defenders it looks balanced. We didn't play 5 at the back, it was two banks of 5 and it was depressing to see how far off we are from the team that used to give sides like this a game.

Back