• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I could probably just about accept Moyes might look at us but can’t imagine Potter, in a million years.

Beginning of the season maybe, yes.

But now we’ve left it so late, I just can’t see how we’re an attractive proposition for any manager with an ounce of ambition.

There is an a risk no matter who the new Manager will be - and there will be one , it's just a matter of time unless some miracle occurs between now and November .
Time is the issue of course - if O'Neill were to pick up some points in November , then they might wait longer - and that would be a huge mistake in my view .
O'Neil's issue is in my view that he has over rated himself . He believes in going into huge detail when planning for a football match , and thereby forgetting that the fundamentals of the game have not really changed in over 100 years . Marking properly at set pieces was a thing back in 1927 , just like it is today .
O'Neil also talks a good game and is a good communicator to the media - but there has been many a fine Manager on the sideline who couldn't string two sentences together in front of a camera .
It is pretty clear that the players have very little idea of how they are supposed to be set up - and that is down to Management . A team should be well drilled to the point of boredom . We are chaos .
If O'Neil believes that last Saturday was the worst performance by a team under his stewardship , then I would fully expect him to take full ownership of that and make immediate changes .
A back 3 will only improve matters if everyone knows what their role is .
One thing as well - our defence is getting a lot of stick at present - but what protection are they getting from those in front of them . Most defences will eventually collapse if the opposition are coming at them in droves time and again .

As for Potter or Moyes............those who say that Potter won't come as he has ambition . Well , he was ambitious and went to Chelsea , and the man aged overnight . At Brighton he was well thought of - big fish , small pond and all of that . A club like Wolves rather than say Man U might be just what he needs to recover his reputation again .

O'Neil's issue is in my view that he has over rated himself .
A lot of people rated him last season. Wasn`t there talk of him being a replacement for Southgate? And was mentioned for the United job when Ten Haag was under pressure? I might have dreamt it.

The PL is full of hype, treble that if you're English, and football fortunes can change pretty quickly.

I think the Utd thing was being part of the coaching staff rather than the top job?
It was. Essentially an early link to the role Ruud now has but turned out the link was made up anyway. Came from Ashworth (?) visiting Compton but he was just there to watch his lad play.

Liverpool was down to who was going to be part of recruiting Klopp's replacement. It was around this time, we started to say he will get a new deal. Agent led rumour spreading maybe.

England would always be a link as he is English and had some relative success in the PL

He got lucky then went on MOTD and Sky sports to give a breakdown of his tactical genius and the media loved it.
As much as he needs to go from us, I don't think he got lucky as such. He rightly earned any praise he earned in his first 12-16 months of being a head coach. Maybe a bit of luck he got was the current Bournemouth manager refused to join half way through a season, so they stuck with him longer than they initially wanted.

He took on a Bournemouth job that the previous manager cried was too difficult and all but begged to be sacked and proceeded to keep them up with relative ease.
Came into us and we were a shambles and performed superbly until that shambles caught up with him and we left him with a squad of 9 players.
Issue is now, he can't turn this situation around and he has bedded himself into a way of playing and the shambles behind him has continued.

Media will love anyone that will take time to explain things. His piece after that Bournemouth game was very unique.
However, I doubt he will accept the invitation to stand within spitting distance of Carragher and talk through the Brentford performance....but he should. Talk us through that kidda.

Last edited:
Not sure what a proven record is in this case. Sam Allardyce has a proven record if you like and I would not even watch us on TV if he were in charge, and I'd be very confident that he'd relegate us.

I don't even mind David Moyes, he's had a good career and he's a decent bloke but I'm fairly sure he isn't the man for our current situation.

Moyes has a proven track record at this level. Potter much less so and therefore represents a higher risk given our current situation.
Potter would be a more exciting appointment IMV. Higher potential ceiling with atleast a bit of a track record to speak of. Definitely more of a progressive appointment than moyes, but not a left field punt

Didn’t Potter turn down Ajax because it was run by idiots?

Graham……meet Jeff.

Not sure what a proven record is in this case. Sam Allardyce has a proven record if you like and I would not even watch us on TV if he were in charge, and I'd be very confident that he'd relegate us.

I don't even mind David Moyes, he's had a good career and he's a decent bloke but I'm fairly sure he isn't the man for our current situation.
I would offer him £1m to keep us up. I think he would.

Whoever we appoint will be getting more than that if successful

I'd have no problem taking Moyes if that was the best that was available , even if he came in a similar manner to his first stint at West Ham , where he arrived in November I think with a mandate to keep them up , with a short term contract and succeeded in doing so .

The football might not be great to look at - and definitely in his final season at West Ham they conceded a lot - but they finished 9th on 52 points . That was deemed a poor season .

I'd bite both hands off for that right now .

Back