• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Notts Forest 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

There's s showreel of MGWs touches yesterday on Twitter, we need a player like that. We need to turn Cunha into it or sign one in the Summer

Neither the eye test of the stats back that up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402_125500_FotMob.jpg
    Screenshot_20230402_125500_FotMob.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 23
A lot of it was just pinball and determination saw it fall for him. We don’t have the determination.

He then carried it and played it through so someone. We wouldn’t have done either of those two things

He was pretty good yesterday but still was all nice touches with no real incision. I don't think he's that much different to the players we have now.
He also wouldn't get to do those things playing in the current Wolves set up, he'd be as effective as Cunha was yesterday.

I didn’t see anything from Morgan yesterday that we don’t get from Podence.

Which is to say, I’ll take Option C: Neither.

We were never good at being a progressive passing team. We lost our directness with the sale of Jota and Neto injuries, and our ability to win direct balls with Raul injury. We’ve lost the ability to score from set pieces.

We’re miles away. We need to decide what we are/want to be and sign players to fit that.

We have touchline wingers but don’t get forwards or midfielders in the box. We have one paced, technical forwards but don’t play through the middle of the pitch and get shoved off it easily when we do. We play inverted forwards but the output from the FBs outside of them is awful (Bueno excepted), but we again don’t get players in the box anyway. We have one paced midfielders who don’t get into scoring positions and don’t create, the one athletic midfielder in the team currently can’t pass water.

Boubacar and Gomes look like they offer something different but it’s way to early to hang our hat on them as starting CMs in this league, even though I am optimistic about them from the little we’ve seen.

We need a massive clearout. Out of the 16 players who made the pitch yesterday I’m only really arsed about Bueno long term. Neves will leave and I’m not arsed about the rest.
I keep banging on about it, while I accept I'm a complete duffer when it comes to tactics, but it seems to me with the squad we have, playing 4-2-3-1 would give us the best usage of the players we have available for the majority of our remaining games.
We definitely need some ins and outs for next season but not sure a wholesale transformation of the squad is a good idea.

Yes. 3 assists and 2 goals whilst taking free kicks, corners, goal kicks and throw ins. Like a playground captain.
I thought you meant 0/0 all season.

I think he has 5 assists.

His record isn't bad for his debut pl season and team he's playing in.

I thought you meant 0/0 all season.

I think he has 5 assists.

His record isn't bad for his debut pl season and team he's playing in.

Nah yesterday. It's 3 in the pl and 2 goals, I don't think that's a good return. He's a decent footballer and I think in the next few years he'll be a quality pl player but he's not very effective ATM.

Have a feeling we’ll be playing this fixture again next season

Nah yesterday. It's 3 in the pl and 2 goals, I don't think that's a good return. He's a decent footballer and I think in the next few years he'll be a quality pl player but he's not very effective ATM.
Well PL website has him at 5 assists and FBRef has him at 5 assists too.

I keep banging on about it, while I accept I'm a complete duffer when it comes to tactics, but it seems to me with the squad we have, playing 4-2-3-1 would give us the best usage of the players we have available for the majority of our remaining games.
without doubt it is but that squad in that system isn’t 2 players away from being good. Massive question marks over anyone who plays the front 4 positons, massive turnover likely in midfield and question marks about all of them as well and then none of the back 4 and GK are top half players.
We definitely need some ins and outs for next season but not sure a wholesale transformation of the squad is a good idea.
It probably isn’t and isn’t possible as we wouldn’t be able to fund it

Dunno man, we have no balance in there. All of them want the play infront of them, none are real goal threats. I think Nunes and Neves with a more attacking 8 type would be perfect but we don't that player.
As @PuntsWolf says we need to pick a style and decide what we are.

I like Cunha as a 10 with two midfielders in behind and a striker up top.

It's on Lop not to keep picking Moutinho at 10 which is the same as Lage picking Nunes at 10.

It's noticeable when watching the highlights of yesterday's games that all the successful teams and goals all involve midfielders joining the attack in some way (De Bruyne, Gundogan, Mac Allister, Xhaka, Eze etc...)

I've also no problem with us not having blistering pace as I don't think Citeh have it (bar Haaland who didn't play yesterday) and they are slow in central midfield. What they have is sharp movement and players that actually move off the ball.

This is more of a project bullshit issue.

Back