• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Notts Forest 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

At the end of the day, I watched it live with probably a view as good if not better than the ref. I didn’t think there was much in it, the ref thought the same (and he’s not biased to wolves and probably the other way!). It’s never getting overturned so that’s the end of that.

Adama either gets the ball stuck under his feet or slows down. If he just dribbles accross Felipe like a competent player then he’s got a free shot at goal and takes Felipe out the game.

If there’s clear evidence on Podence then that’ll hopefully be the last time he plays for the club. I absolutely do not want someone like that representing our club.

The contact doesn't force him over, he chooses to go over because of the contact. Kane does it all the time and gets penalties, but Adama has a choice
Think this happens about 75% of the time with fouls and penalties. De Bruyne 'won' a foul yesterday with a 1mm contact on the side of his boot, as you say depends who you are some of the time.

They showed more pictures on MOTD and you couldn't see anything come out of his mouth from any angle.

Think this happens about 75% of the time with fouls and penalties. De Bruyne 'won' a foul yesterday with a 1mm contact on the side of his boot, as you say depends who you are some of the time.
Definitely.

There was another one where Jesus got a kick above his knee from the front, and went down like a sack of spuds. Ref blew instantly.

Think this happens about 75% of the time with fouls and penalties.
I really don’t think it does anymore. I’ve seen countless times down the NB end forwards (not ours, we never get in the box). do the same and nothing is given.
De Bruyne 'won' a foul yesterday with a 1mm contact on the side of his boot, as you say depends who you are some of the time.
We all know the threshold for fouls isn’t the same as pens. Even still, I’m not sure the referee saw 1mm of contact, he saw a challenge made where the ball wasn’t won and therefore foul was given.
Definitely.

There was another one where Jesus got a kick above his knee from the front, and went down like a sack of spuds. Ref blew instantly.
Ayling stupidly made a second play for the ball and kicked him. There’s nothing in it but it’s the “challenge” which is the key. Collins got away with one earlier in the season on Grealish but importantly the ref didn’t give it (meaning it didn’t get overturned).

The performance wasn't the best but I'm surprised at the level of negativity here to be honest. If the situation was reversed and we had just conceded a late goal to draw 1-1 at home to a relegation rival who looked hopeless there would be many saying it is a sure sign they are staying up because they can grind out results and we're the ones going down.

A point is okay, I'd have taken it beforehand. There are not many teams in good form at the bottom of the table, hence why we are all scrapping it out in a tight relegation battle.

Personally I think we will stay up still although Lopetegui does need to suss out his best team/system ASAP as right now there is a great deal of inconsistency in the selection and how we play.
Of course a point is “okay”, but it papers over a lot of cracks. That is why there’s a certain level of negativity.

Our performance yesterday was alarmingly bad. Scoring the one shot on target that you create against a relegation rival is not a sustainable way of playing. Nor is having a manager who doesn’t have a clue what his best 11 is or what his best formation is. And because of this, a manager who’s forced to make early changes that have a 50/50 hit rate in terms of success.

We are still slow, predictable and lethargic in possession.

We still pass it from side to side across the back and struggle as soon as we cross the halfway line. 75% possession yesterday but created one shot on target? Come on!

We still play three midfielders who create absolutely nothing, and continue to take it in turns to drop in to the middle of the centre backs creating the horseshoe of doom. Why?

We still play one up top, miles away from everyone, despite having success with playing Raul (who didn’t even get off the bench yesterday) close to Cunha in a very limited amount of time in the past.

I can’t remember the last time we just did something a bit out of the ordinary. Like a little flick around the corner to a player who’s made a run from deep. Or one of our full backs running diagonally in to the box to create some angles (the much maligned Matt Doherty even did this, ffs!). I think Semedo has done it once in the last 5 games and should have had a penalty. Why aren’t they being told to do it more?

Honestly, our whole set up, playing patterns and tactical set up is abysmal. That’s why there’s negativity. We might well stay up (I don’t think we will), but there’s a reason for the negativity and it’s justified IMO. Improvements are required throughout the whole club.

Could he have just been pulling a face?
There are no images with any spittle passing between Podence and Johnson, there is a suggestion that Podence blew twice in Johnson's direction suggesting he goes down too easily

The mental gymnastics wolves fans on social media have been going through to defend Podence have been reminiscent of Liverpool fans when Ivanovic was bitten. Embarrassing.

He's not whistling, he's not kissing, he's not saying something, he's not pulling a face, he's not blowing on him. He's spitting at him.

This is probably gonna be a long post. That was a mess that we somehow got a valuable point from, I couldn’t see it coming at all bit Podence showed again that he’s the only forward player that we’ve got that scores, frustrating yes and he is a little twat but i’d rather that than whatever everyone else contributes.

The first half in particular was a mess and i think every man and his dog could have predicted it with that team, genuinely thought Julen was going to be unmasked as Bruno half way through Scooby Doo style. We know he’s a much better manager than he’s showing at the moment. I think it’s worrying the amount of first 11’s he’s getting obviously wrong and he’s constantly having to change things at half time.

Players look like they are struggling to understand what’s asked of them too, biggest example was probably Lemina yesterday who just didn’t know what role he was supposed to do because wither Ruben was were he should be and then Matheus was coming inside too.

I think the worst thing that happened was that Moutinho actually ended up as a false 9 for around 5 minutes, he was the furthest forward player as Cunha had gone to the left. There’s no way we should ever end up with that situation in any game and Julen needs to sort it quickly, he just doesn’t know what he wants at the moment.

No penalty for me on Adama, he looks for it and drops when he should go through and score. Appealed at the time like all the away end but after seeing replays ref got it right, would be fuming if that was given against us. Felipe does put his hand on him but he doesn’t push or pull him.

Players wise i would say….

Sa - Did ok with everything apart from the goal where he didn’t commit to coming out got caught in no mans land and was beaten too easily.

Semedo - Just meh isn’t he, gets caught in behind him far too often and his end product is appalling.

Dawson - Left isolated because Semedo was hardly where he should be, the midfield was a jumble with no protection and was constantly chasing back.

Kilman - Heart of a pea this one. So passive it’s unreal. Got beat in the air by MGW a few times too. Did start to carry the ball well at times in the second half but then also miscontrolled multiple balls into him under zero pressure.

Toti - Caught out for the goal and while he did ok he should never play left back again. Played well at cb i thought though because he commits to challenges and isn’t as bad on the ball as he may look.

Lemina - Didn’t know where he was playing or his role. Why is he no longer the deepest player? What was his job yesterday? Play his as the protector or don’t play him.

Neves - Few nice diagonal passes first half but then misplaced several second half that should have cost us but Forest couldn’t finish. Not playing well imo and i think he and we needed him to pick up the 10th yellow. He can have 2 games off and come back without that hanging round his neck and it’s a chance for others to step up.

Adama - We know what he is so why was he asked to keep coming inside? Isolate the full back and let him run at him but that hardly happened and didn’t happen at all in the 10 minutes Toffolo was in a yellow.

Moutinho - Why oh why does he keep playing Joao in this role? Absolute passenger that as I mentioned ended up as the most forward player for a spell towards half time. That’s criminal. Should be coming on last 20 minutes or not at all now.

Nunes - He’s not suited to the way we play at all and shoehorning him into a left sided role just doesn’t work most of the time. Decent ball for the chance that hit the bar and carried it well a few times, movement is non existent from everyone else though and he doesn’t know what to do with it in the final third.

Cunha - Wasted shirt again. Will never be able to play on his own up top especially in this team and everyone apart Julen can see this again. Play him with Costa or Raul and i think we become more of a threat.

Subs

Podence - Does what Podence does, shithouses, has some neat little moments, has some batshit moments and then proves he’s the only forward player we can rely on to hit the net. Wish some of the other players had his little man syndrome and got amongst opposition players. No idea of he spat, the video i’ve seen his mouth makes the motion but he doesn’t actually spit and explains this to Johnson several times. If there’s evidence he did spit will rightly be banned and someone else will have to step up and score.

Sarabia - Thought he was pretty poor to be honest. Couple of neat little moments but lacked conviction and made too many poor passes. Think he’s a decent player but with out squad i think he has to play as a 10 to get the beat out of him.

Costa - Great movement and it’s a shame we haven’t got a younger version. Much better option than Cunha as the front man especially with bodies round him. Would love him to get a goal before the end of the season.

Bueno - If he was 90% he should have played. I understand he hasn’t played for a month but unfortunately we’re not in a situation where we can be playing a cb at left back unless absolutely necessary. Good option when he came on but it seemed like those inside him had stiff necks as they constantly tried to go down the right.

Neto - Not on long but at least he tried and his shot lead to the goal. It wasn’t a great effort but at least he was trying to be direct.

No idea what happens from here i really don’t. As i said last week i was sure we would be fine after Spurs but Julen has been awful since and so have lots of the players. We know Lage was an issue but he’s been gone a long time now and Julen needs to be held accountable at the moment. If Bruno would have served that first 11 up and what followed everyone would rightly have crucified him. Yes Julen is a better manager but he needs to prove it now rather than what he did at Sevilla.

I've only seen the motd film and still pics and I can't see any spittle. It's possible he did just simulate it which in itself is as stupid as it gets but let's face it the guy is a bit weird and petulant as fuck. If so then a yellow should have been shown. If its proven conclusively he spat then he deserves all he gets. I'd be for moving him on at the end of the season purely for that let alone his other stuff.
Problem is, he's the only Wolves player with a shred of composure in front of goal, could easily get another 2 or 3 which might make the difference.

Whatever the 'project' is it needs ripping up and starting again.

We've had 3 managers and a caretaker play this horseshoe of Doom with an isolated central striker and no movement off the ball.

It doesn't and never has worked.

That's all on the club as a whole.

Something else that's irritating me, as I said earlier if Podence is found guilty then he should be banned and I don't really want him playing for us, pity we desperately need him (shows how bad things are).
However, the ref saw nothing, VAR could not find any evidence, so why is it being investigated? Has any other contentious decision that has been checked by VAR ever been investigated before?
I think I might be getting into this victim mentality thing😁

My few points from seeing highlights having followed the game in Fivelive.
Pat Murphy sounded like they’d been a death in his family when they went to the City Ground to announce the Wolves equaliser.
9/10 times Adama would have been awarded the penalty if he was wearing a sky six shirt. Can understand the arguments why it wasn’t overturned.
Cooper is a prat. Commenting on preparing for the antics of the opposition bench and not allowing it in our patch was akin to something from the terraces from school kids or 50 somethings who have never grown up.
Podence needs binning if found guilty but has a critical part to play from the bench if not.
I think that @Deutsch mentioned it earlier in the thread but we looked a competent outfit at Fulham with a formation and selection that suits us better than anything else. We need to stick to something like that for the remainder of the season. I’m perplexed why we’ve gone away from it.

Having now seen MOTD, Chapman says they spent 20 mins trying to find spit and couldn't. Seems unlikely Forest have access to footage 15 mins after the game that the BBC didn't have by 10pm
Yep. Unless the FA have nano cam on Johnsons face there's no way you're proving that. And Johnson himself sounded about as convincing as Keir Starmer afterwards.

The mental gymnastics wolves fans on social media have been going through to defend Podence have been reminiscent of Liverpool fans when Ivanovic was bitten. Embarrassing.

He's not whistling, he's not kissing, he's not saying something, he's not pulling a face, he's not blowing on him. He's spitting at him.

I was convinced he spat at him but the more I think about it, how could anyone let another bloke spit in their face and not be trying to rip his head off? Not saying he didn't but Johnson's reaction was weird.

Back