• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich 3 v Wolves 1 - not the game we wanted verdict thread

I'd much rather have a promising young keeper playing than a proven not good enough keeper. He might make the odd mistake, but he might prove to be a future quality keeper.

Don't the Scottish FA now punish diving? Incidents reviewed after the game and if a player is deemed to have dived they are given bans/fines?

Yes, and I think it was a Hearts player who received a ban for it earlier in the season. I believe the FA are looking into how the scheme has worked in Scotland.

I'd much rather have a promising young keeper playing than a proven not good enough keeper. He might make the odd mistake, but he might prove to be a future quality keeper.

So would I.

Burgoyne will be fine, prefer that to Lonergan, but would rather see Williamson in front of him as he seems to be the only one who can provide an organised defensive line which will help a young keeper

Yes, and I think it was a Hearts player who received a ban for it earlier in the season. I believe the FA are looking into how the scheme has worked in Scotland.

I think the FA need to be looking at not giving the penalties that then encourage the diving. See Sterling; Raheem V Walker.

I expected nothing from Norwich away at the start of the season as we have a wretched record against them this century, the 5-2 loss to them in our champion winning season on the back of a home draw is case in point as they were relegated that year to league one IIRC. Up there with Huddersfield as a bit of a bogey side .

That said it does look a soft penalty and Ikeme should know better than to push an opponent. Poor decision probably cost us a point. The kit is ridiculous! May as well wear old gold as that as that clashes worse with canary yellow! Like watching a 70s match between Spurs and Derby!

What kit will they wear at Burton? May as well stick to the home kit! I wont get upset at a loss to Norwich but will be well pissed off if we lose to Burton who sit in the bottom three.

Better off wearing training shirts I cannot believe the club sanctioned that shirt with Burton and Norwich in the same division.

I think the FA need to be looking at not giving the penalties that then encourage the diving. See Sterling; Raheem V Walker.

I cannot argue with that. And Toure has said that Sterling should have dived. Sterling tried to be honest, and did not get the decision he should have got.

Nope. He showed him a straight red.

That incident I mentioned I seem to remember everyone agreeing that a yellow was the right decision. I've seen plenty of shoves on people before that have only been yellows too. Normally it's only if you strike someone in the face that the red comes out.

Above shouilders straight Red, below yellow

I cannot argue with that. And Toure has said that Sterling should have dived. Sterling tried to be honest, and did not get the decision he should have got.

Perhaps Sterlings 2 dives earlier in the game didn't do him any favours either. Interesting that when he really believed he'd score, he didn't go down, but the 2 times he ran into trouble he hit the deck.

I've not got that much sympathy for Ikeme regarding the red card.

The penalty - yes. I think he dived. But no matter how much of a meal Hoolahan made of the 'push', Ikeme raised his hands and gave the ref a decision to make.

A professional should know better, heat of the moment or not.

Perhaps Sterlings 2 dives earlier in the game didn't do him any favours either. Interesting that when he really believed he'd score, he didn't go down, but the 2 times he ran into trouble he hit the deck.

Indeed, and this is a problem I have long been beating the drum about. Referees do make mistakes, but their job is made a lot more difficult by all the diving and play acting that goes on. An example being the Crystal Palace v Everton game last Saturday. Allardyce and the Palace players were berating the referee for not stopping the game when Schlupp was injured. Originally he was off the pitch, and as Everton went forward, he rolled onto the pitch. Blatant cheating to try to force the game to be halted when his opponents were in a good position. The referee was absolutely correct to allow the game to continue, and Schlupp should have been cautioned for his action.

Apologies for de-railing this verdict thread

An example being the Crystal Palace v Everton game last Saturday. Allardyce and the Palace players were berating the referee not not stopping the game when Schlupp was injured. Originally he was off the pitch, and as Everton went forward, he rolled onto the pitch. Blatant cheating to try to force the game to be halted when his opponents were in a good position. The referee was absolutely correct to allow the game to continue, and Schlupp should have been cautioned for his action.

Doherty did that in our game with Barnsley. He did his ankle on the Skybet ad carpet thingy and hit the deck and crawled back on to the pitch to get treatment to delay a Barnsley corner. Staggered he never got booked for that.

I've not got that much sympathy for Ikeme regarding the red card.

The penalty - yes. I think he dived. But no matter how much of a meal Hoolahan made of the 'push', Ikeme raised his hands and gave the ref a decision to make.

A professional should know better, heat of the moment or not.

This. As soon as a player raises his hands he is asking for trouble. Though of course another referee might have thought that there was not excessive force and just gave Ikeme a yellow card.

Doherty did that in our game with Barnsley. He did his ankle on the Skybet ad carpet thingy and hit the deck and crawled back on to the pitch to get treatment to delay a Barnsley corner. Staggered he never got booked for that.

Good old Mr Gloves, wasting time when we were losing :icon_lol:

I didn't realise that. Did the referee allow treatment? and was Doherty in the penalty area when he crawled back on?

I didn't realise that. Did the referee allow treatment? and was Doherty in the penalty area when he crawled back on?

Yep the ref allowed the treatment, he watched Doherty drag himself back into the penalty area, our physio came on and the ref just stood over the 2 of them.

Yep the ref allowed the treatment, he watched Doherty drag himself back into the penalty area, our physio came on and the ref just stood over the 2 of them.

As Doherty was in the penalty area, and the ball not in play, I suppose the referee had little choice but to allow him treatment. As you say though, Doherty could quite possible have been cautioned.

Back