• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) 15/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

The squad was running on empty for the last couple of months of last season and being patched up with kids either from the start or off the bench. You can’t judge the results too harshly when we all know the circumstances.

As for the start of this season, none of us would have really predicted more than three points from the opening three games and we find ourselves on one.

Gaz did say in his presser that we need to pick up those “shock” results again this season that helped us out last time around, so at least he’s acknowledged it.

Based on absolutely nothing, I quite fancy us today.
GoN also said he had no preseason last season and things would be different with a full preseason.

He's had one and well 🤷

I think Brentford away is not necessarily a winnable game. I think it's a tougher game than today in some respects.
It’s certainly winnable IMO but they’re a really good side, even if Frank’s reliance on über-shithousing is incredibly abrasive as an opposition supporter.

If Brentford away isn’t winnable we’re well and truly fucked. Not saying we will win but we should be going into it believing we can.

If Brentford away isn’t winnable we’re well and truly fucked. Not saying we will win but we should be going into it believing we can.
I think that's an incredibly arrogant attitude to have. They've been pretty good this season so far, and haven't yet conceded 6 goals in a game to anyone. They are a tough game. And we haven't shown enough to think any game is a gimme.

I think that's an incredibly arrogant attitude to have. They've been pretty good this season so far, and haven't yet conceded 6 goals in a game to anyone. They are a tough game. And we haven't shown enough to think any game is a gimme.
I think you're confusing the word you've decided to use, "gimme", with the word DW acrually used which is "winnable".

I think you're confusing the word you've decided to use, "gimme", with the word DW acrually used which is "winnable".
I think you're right, but I'm struggling to have confidence in Wolves at the moment and feel like there is no game where I would predict us to win other than maybe Southampton!

You don’t appear to understand the difference between winnable and a gimme!

If we're playing Stoke, Yeovil and Wigan next month then I'm after 9 points. Villa, City and Liverpool not so much. I'm not sacking a manager for losing games we should lose purely because they happen to be bunched together.
Depends how you lose them

It's a must not lose rather than a must win IMO. A victory would be a fantastic result but Newcastle are still a good team who'll be pushing for top 4 again.

It's a must not lose rather than a must win IMO. A victory would be a fantastic result but Newcastle are still a good team who'll be pushing for top 4 again.
You look at some of the players they have, especially attacking players, and they have a lot of talent. Isak, Gordon, Barnes, Guimaraes, Joelinton... all excellent players who can score goals or unlock defences. On their day they are a top 4 side.

André in for Toti (must be injured as isn't even on the bench)

Forbs on the bench

Has a team ever stayed up without winning a game before November? Because that's what people seem to be suggesting would be acceptable. We have undoubtedly been shafted with the fixtures, but need to win at least one of them before Palace.

There also seems to be a failure to recognise what that would do to confidence and morale. No win in 10 league games (ignoring last season) and that'd be on the floor.

Newcastle won their first game in December in 21/22 and finished 11th, although we're not likely to go on the spending spree that they did.

I worry about the balance of that team with those 3 midfielders when neither Bellegarde and Cunha are out and out wide players. Hopefully it works.

Back