• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Might be better placed in the Politics thread, but it’s definitely an ‘Annoy’ so anyway……. dentists (or lack of).

Pretty standard stuff - relocate, have to find a new dentist, no NHS available, anywhere. Procrastinate for a while, start to worry about the passage of time and a suspect filling, eventually book an appointment with one of the cheapest places around with good reviews.

Initial consultation £70, clean/descale £59, cracked filling repair option 1 £210, option 2 £640 (recommended) option 3 (Crown - £1000 +++)

I mean, dental care has to be one of the fundamentals available to everyone. I’m not suggesting the government pays for an elite 5* service all round, but a basic level of care is critical for everyone’s wellbeing and even that level isn’t being offered. I’ll pay reluctantly and be grateful I can find the money, but it’s just so wrong and really pisses me off.

Epsom prices by the looks of things! But if the work is elite then maybe not that outrageous. But like any trade there are cowboys.

The government has had no interest in dentistry for over a decade. The system in some cases is barely profitable so practices/dentists won’t do it, particularly when they can make more doing the same thing privately. Or there’s too much beauocracy/bullshit/stress/hoops to jump through so providers can’t be arsed with it anymore.

It isn’t going to get better so it will may dissapear completely at some point or most likely be compeletely scaled back to absolute basics.

Epsom prices by the looks of things! But if the work is elite then maybe not that outrageous. But like any trade there are cowboys.

Funnily enough coming from a liberal city to a conservative town has been very interesting. I get the very wealthy voting that way to protect their interests, but it’s the rationale of everyone else that amazes me.

Fucking sky high housing and living costs, unable to get your hands on the likes of NHS dental treatment for example and a council tax bill that could pay off a national debt, and yet instead of asking questions of those responsible the resentment is turned to those ‘getting it all for nothing’. Jesus Christ, talk about being mugged off, it’s like some a sort of Conservative Party utopia.

I keep my opinions to myself because I just can’t be arsed, but had genuinely underestimated the power of weaponising the poor. Those poor sods in rubber boats have become the main topic of conversation and providing another perfect smokescreen.

I keep hoping people will open their eyes but just don’t think it’s going to happen. I love the place but that aspect is very disappointing and really quite bizarre.

Funnily enough coming from a liberal city to a conservative town has been very interesting. I get the very wealthy voting that way to protect their interests, but it’s the rationale of everyone else that amazes me.

Fucking sky high housing and living costs, unable to get your hands on the likes of NHS dental treatment for example and a council tax bill that could pay off a national debt, and yet instead of asking questions of those responsible the resentment is turned to those ‘getting it all for nothing’. Jesus Christ, talk about being mugged off, it’s like some a sort of Conservative Party utopia.

I keep my opinions to myself because I just can’t be arsed, but had genuinely underestimated the power of weaponising the poor. Those poor sods in rubber boats have become the main topic of conversation and providing another perfect smokescreen.

I keep hoping people will open their eyes but just don’t think it’s going to happen. I love the place but that aspect is very disappointing and really quite bizarre.
Council tax shouldn’t be any dearer necessarily for living there. Band letter properties in my area of Leicestershire are charged more than Kensington in London. A quick google search tells me that yours are similar to mine.

Council tax shouldn’t be any dearer necessarily for living there. Band letter properties in my area of Leicestershire are charged more than Kensington in London. A quick google search tells me that yours are similar to mine.

Agreed, that wasn’t necessarily a good example, Council tax generally everywhere is outrageous.

It's a tax on daring to be alive.

I've got bipolar disorder, four years ago I couldn't work at all. Had to pay South Staffs Council in full or they'd send bailiffs round. Thanks, I now have no money, so I can't eat. Brilliant.

Agreed, that wasn’t necessarily a good example, Council tax generally everywhere is outrageous.
Not in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. £1k less per year for them poor feckers however they won’t have the transport, the arts and other public infrastructure that the rest of the country will be getting. 🤔

Apologies all round but I muttered a little ‘yes’ when the penalty for Villa went in against Everton.🙁 Not happy with myself and what I’ve become but it would not have got to this point if it wasn’t for the shit show that Shi and Lage created in the first half of this season.

Apologies all round but I muttered a little ‘yes’ when the penalty for Villa went in against Everton.🙁 Not happy with myself and what I’ve become but it would not have got to this point if it wasn’t for the shit show that Shi and Lage created in the first half of this season.
Needs must mate, desperately needed that Villa win today!

Apparently it's against our company policy to refer to one of my drivers who moans constantly as a 'massive tart!'

Apparently it's against our company policy to refer to one of my drivers who moans constantly as a 'massive tart!'

Presumably it’s not “massive tart” per se, but any term that the person it is aimed at finds offensive?

Not suggesting that description/insult (etc) is acceptable, but it’s very difficult for everyone if the receiving person is the arbiter of what is offensive. Plays right into the ‘Can’t say owt nowadays’ hands.

Can’t imagine ‘massive tart’ is listed in the company’s ‘book of offensive terms’, so would be curious to know how the (any) company keeps control and how the parameters are set without ceding full power to the ‘offended’.

Must be a nightmare at times.

How things have changed at work places, being called a massive tart would have been almost a compliment when I started work.

Oh yes, how we long for the days of "sticks and stones"...

How things have changed at work places, being called a massive tart would have been almost a compliment when I started work.

Same here. Changing times.

I met up with my daughter at her workplace in London for a coffee last week. One of those trendy places with a young workforce that employ a barista to offer all kinds of coffee to staff free of charge.

I committed a terrible faux pas by asking for a black coffee. It’s just a ‘coffee’, or ‘coffee with milk’, so I’m firmly told.

All seemed perfectly normal to everyone else. Know your place dinosaur 😳

Same here. Changing times.

I met up with my daughter at her workplace in London for a coffee last week. One of those trendy places with a young workforce that employ a barista to offer all kinds of coffee to staff free of charge.

I committed a terrible faux pas by asking for a black coffee. It’s just a ‘coffee’, or ‘coffee with milk’, so I’m firmly told.

All seemed perfectly normal to everyone else. Know your place dinosaur 😳
Yet, in Spain (and France) you just ask for coffee ('black' by default) and have to specify if you want in 'con leche' (or au lait). I wonder if the 'black' coffee request in the UK was because by default (as with tea) it came 'white' (with milk)?

I ask for a black coffee, it saves time. I'd not considered it may be inappropriate. Tbh I don't think it is

Back