• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Manager Search *BACK ON*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fairly generous interpretation of Lage's time

Ha! You know what I mean. They played for him once upon a time when we were in touching distance of Europa. The problem at the club is far from a rotten dressing room or rotten personalities.

I'm hoping his ability as a coach and the reported interpersonal skills plus his ability to speak Portuguese should be enough

Big question for me is how does he convince the squad he knows what he's talking about? He's not a name that carries a lot of clout in that way.

If we'd made this hire/sacked Bruno when we should have, I'd say that if Beale could get Coady onside then it would be all good. Now, I'm not sure who that voice in the dressing room is. Neves? I don't see that from him on the pitch. Moutinho? For all his calmness, he's not one to crack the whip from what I can see, either. Maybe Costa? But even then, who knows how many of the squad even take him seriously at his age?

I think we are in a situation that has a very high ceiling and yet an even lower floor.

Anyone who's played football at any level can tell within minutes of a conversation if someone knows what they are talking about or not.

Not even sure the rest of this is relevant, especially his age. Why would that even matter?

We are hardly a squad of massive personalities, if anything I think they have too little personality.

Anyone who's played football at any level can tell within minutes of a conversation if someone knows what they are talking about or not.
At any level? Not sure I buy that. We're talking Premier League players who often play senior international football.

On the other hand, do you think Steve Bull has the right to tell you that you don't know anything about football?

Not even sure the rest of this is relevant, especially his age. Why would that even matter?
If you're working construction and a 70 year old shows up but can barely manage anything but the most basic tasks, how likely are you to take him seriously?

We are hardly a squad of massive personalities, if anything I think they have too little personality.
This, I don't disagree with.

Big question for me is how does he convince the squad he knows what he's talking about? He's not a name that carries a lot of clout in that way.

If we'd made this hire/sacked Bruno when we should have, I'd say that if Beale could get Coady onside then it would be all good. Now, I'm not sure who that voice in the dressing room is. Neves? I don't see that from him on the pitch. Moutinho? For all his calmness, he's not one to crack the whip from what I can see, either. Maybe Costa? But even then, who knows how many of the squad even take him seriously at his age?

I think we are in a situation that has a very high ceiling and yet an even lower floor.
That Mourinho fella did ok having been nothing but an interpreter and part time coach.

Sacchi, Sarri, Wenger all had to overcome the same things too.

It's about the man not what his playing career or perceived lack of standing by fans is.

I would've thought a man who follows the NFL would know this.

That Mourinho fella did ok having been nothing but an interpreter and part time coach.

Sacchi, Sarri, Wenger all had to overcome the same things too.

It's about the man not what his playing career or perceived lack of standing by fans is.

I would've thought a man who follows the NFL would know this.
Not at all saying that he can't do it or that it's impossible. Just saying it's a very big task.

I'd be excited by Beale's appointment.

I'm not sure about the "gamble" aspect.

The previous incumbent was 100% relegating us, we can't sit around for the next month and then sort it out as it'll be too late, we can't get a stereotypical "get us 17th" shitmuncher because we don't have players like that.

There isn't the "safe" appointment out there that we're ignoring, and if we'd done nothing we'd have been lucky not to finish bottom.

I think he is seen as a "gamble" because he has managed 15 games as a head coach, despite the fact he has plenty of experience as a first team coach/assistant and so forth.

Unless he gets minus points somehow (the PL could dock us points for low quality Eastenders "gags" from our fans) then he'll struggle to do worse than the idiot he's replacing.

Yeah I can definitely understand how someone would see it as a gamble relative to a hire like Nuno.

Don't think that's the right way to look at it, necessarily, but I can see how someone lands there.

Yeah I can definitely understand how someone would see it as a gamble relative to a hire like Nuno.

Nuno would have been a 'safe pair of hands' but in some ways he was a gamble as well in the sense that Wolves is a totally different club now to the one he left eighteen months ago.

It's actually quite exciting to be linked to a coach who is highly thought of and whose career is very much on an upward trajectory. Even when Nuno came there were uhms and ahhhhs as he left Porto and Valencia under slight clouds. Beale seems to have none of that.

Nuno would have been a 'safe pair of hands' but in some ways he was a gamble as well in the sense that Wolves is a totally different club now to the one he left eighteen months ago.

It's actually quite exciting to be linked to a coach who is highly thought of and whose career is very much on an upward trajectory. Even when Nuno came there were uhms and ahhhhs as he left Porto and Valencia under slight clouds. Beale seems to have none of that.
That's the magic of it, innit. If you hire the right guy at the right time, the rest of that stuff stops mattering.

At any level? Not sure I buy that. We're talking Premier League players who often play senior international football.

On the other hand, do you think Steve Bull has the right to tell you that you don't know anything about football?

If you're working construction and a 70 year old shows up but can barely manage anything but the most basic tasks, how likely are you to take him seriously?

This, I don't disagree with.

Yes, any level. The difference is relative obviously but if Beale is a good coach with good ideas and can relay them properly then it doesn't matter one jot it he's a big name or not.

I've spoken to Steve Bull multiple times about football, phenomenal striker but Pep Guardiola he is not. Doesn't really have a great understanding of the game from a tactical point of view. So no, he wouldn't have the right.

Fixed, and it has happened because they shouldn't have sacked him in the first place and then employed a complete pleb to replace him.

Lage was totally the wrong appointment but I do think Nuno's sacking was partly some Mendes trickery to get him to Spurs also. He was faltering with us but his stock was still high at the time.

Lage was totally the wrong appointment but I do think Nuno's sacking was partly some Mendes trickery to get him to Spurs also. He was faltering with us but his stock was still high at the time.
I don't think it was. Spurs tried to appoint at least a couple of others before appointing Nuno, don't think he was particularly high on the agenda for them at the start of their search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back