• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Manager Search *BACK ON*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still a very risky move and I probably would have preferred a Lopetegui (we're not Poch/Tuchel levels yet), but I like the change in approach away from the Mendes stable, and out of everyone we've been linked to he's a manager whose career is on a clear upwards trajectory with a few saying he was responsible for the Rangers title win/it has all gone to pot since he left Villa.

Also, though I'm sure it doesn't make a whole *lot* of difference, it means we've got a manager who'll live in Wolverhampton with his family rather than flying home to Portugal after games/at weekends.

I think this is showing the right sort of ambition from the club - yes, there's a huge element of risk but equally, it could be an exciting, pragmatic appointment.

We have taken too long to act and the club deserves plenty of criticism for that, but I do take some comfort in the fact that IF this happens, it's not just a drip-fed solution from the Mendes carousel and seems to be a measured choice rather than a knee jerk reaction.

Could all go tits up obviously but I am in favour of this because who knows? It might work out very well for us.

Also, though I'm sure it doesn't make a whole *lot* of difference, it means we've got a manager who'll live in Wolverhampton with his family rather than flying home to Portugal after games/at weekends.
Soon the revealed he has a pet dog he couldn't bring with him from Brazil and visits it every 2 weeks...

Could be quite an exciting staff base with him and Rob Edwards, but I'm guessing he'll bring a fair few with him from QPR.

The lack of experience and reputation worries me a little; we've got a lot of 'big name' players that need a rocket up their arses and I doubt most of them had even heard of him 3 days ago. He'll have a job on to win their respect.

That said he's clearly a highly regarded coach and has had a good start to his managerial career, the prospect isn't without excitement.

I'm delighted that we've finally got a manager that hasn't got mendes' grubby little fingers over the appointment though

Is that Jeff saying "fuck you for telling me Lage was ace and back him not sack him"
More like Jeff telling Scott to find a manager as he's signing his next e-sports star which is the future...

The 'big name' players played for Bruno Lage, so I reckon Mick Beale will be fine...

Could be quite an exciting staff base with him and Rob Edwards, but I'm guessing he'll bring a fair few with him from QPR.
Will bring Damian Matthew and Neil Banfield I imagine. Harry Watling is a young coach he may also try to bring over too.

Will bring Damian Matthew and Neil Banfield I imagine. Harry Watling is a young coach he may also try to bring over too.

As someone who knows far more about football analysis/tactics than me, what are your thoughts on him?

So these guys reporting the Beale stuff are generally reliable, then?

I'll be really pleased with this, it's a completely new direction to what we've seen since Nuno. His QPR team play some lovely incisive stuff and they are quite a poor squad in general, which demonstrates his coaching prowess. Exciting appointment for me even if it is a risk.

As someone who knows far more about football analysis/tactics than me, what are your thoughts on him?
He's obviously a highly respected coach and seems to have plenty about him tactically too. Can't say I've seen QPR this season but I thought the Rangers side him and Gerrard led were very good in the final couple of seasons. Villa were strange even last season I felt. He was always big in the coaching community online so I've always been aware of him as he shared plenty of his sessions/coaching booklets.

Has even had a spell coaching in Brazil so hopefully his Portuguese is decent.

My worry is that if we are going for him based on the start of the season QPR have had then it's nothing to judge him by. They are over-performing a bit from what I can see, even if they are playing some decent stuff.

I'll be really pleased with this, it's a completely new direction to what we've seen since Nuno. His QPR team play some lovely incisive stuff and they are quite a poor squad in general, which demonstrates his coaching prowess. Exciting appointment for me even if it is a risk.
Big question for me is how does he convince the squad he knows what he's talking about? He's not a name that carries a lot of clout in that way.

If we'd made this hire/sacked Bruno when we should have, I'd say that if Beale could get Coady onside then it would be all good. Now, I'm not sure who that voice in the dressing room is. Neves? I don't see that from him on the pitch. Moutinho? For all his calmness, he's not one to crack the whip from what I can see, either. Maybe Costa? But even then, who knows how many of the squad even take him seriously at his age?

I think we are in a situation that has a very high ceiling and yet an even lower floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back